Advice needed...

HelloHair4

Reaction score
I am 32 years old and have been on propecia/finasteride since 2004. I have been taking a saw palmetto supplement for the last three years. I tried minoxidil on the blading crown area for two years without any results. I have always been self-conscious of my thinning hair and always feel that it makes me look older than I am as I am physically fit and take good care of myself. Usually when going out, I'll throw on a hat instead of styling my hair due to this. In my profession, the younger crowd always has an advantage. I feel that I am old enough now to make a change so I can finally stop worrying about this and gain my confidence back.

I like to wear my hair longer and pushed back or to the side but have't been able to do so for the last seven-eight years or so. I feel that my hair loss has pretty much halted and has looked this way since I was about 25 or so.

I have been pondering the idea of a hair transplant for the last three years or so and feel that I am ready to have one done. However, the idea of getting a botched surgery scares the **** out of me obviously. That's what brings me to this forum. I would like advice from others on the best doctors and if this surgery is right for me.

I really want to get a dense hair line back with the temples and crown filled in. The sides/back and top middle of my head are super thick and always have been. In order to gain a more youthful hairline that will allow me to wear my hair back and also fill in the bald spot on the crown, approximately how many grafts/sessions would I be looking at? Would I be a good candidate for this?

8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Jls008

Reaction score
I am 32 years old and have been on propecia/finasteride since 2004. I tried minoxidil on the blading crown area for two years without any results. I have always been self-conscious of my thinning hair and always feel that it makes me look older than I am as I am physically fit and take good care of myself. Usually when going out, I'll throw on a hat instead of styling my hair due to this. In my profession, the younger crowd always has an advantage. I feel that I am old enough now to make a change so I can finally stop worrying about this and gain my confidence back.

I like to wear my hair longer and pushed back or to the side but have't been able to do so for the last seven-eight years or so. I feel that my hair loss has pretty much halted and has looked this way since I was about 25 or so.

I have been pondering the idea of a hair transplant for the last three years or so and feel that I am ready to have one done. However, the idea of getting a botched surgery scares the **** out of me obviously. That's what brings me to this forum. I would like advice from others on the best doctors and if this surgery is right for me.

I really want to get a dense hair line back with the temples and crown filled in. The sides/back and top middle of my head are super thick and always have been. In order to gain a more youthful hairline that will allow me to wear my hair back and also fill in the bald spot on the crown, approximately how many grafts/sessions would I be looking at? Would I be a good candidate for this?

View attachment 35934View attachment 35933View attachment 35932View attachment 35931View attachment 35930View attachment 35929View attachment 35928View attachment 35927

You are young and thinning will continue over time. You will always be playing catch-up if you get a transplant. Keeping it long only accentuates the thinning. I would cut it real short, but not shave it off. Like a buzz cut. It will camouflage the loss.

AlistairS

Reaction score
How effective has Finasteride been for you? Relative to your baseline 10 years ago, have you maintained/grown or lost hair on it?

HelloHair4

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

At the moment, it seems like a hair transplant would be the only solution that would allow me to enjoy my 30's. If/when it does continue to thin, I would just have to deal with it appropriately at that point in time. I haven't made my mind up that I am 100% going to go through with it and want to listen to voices of reason which is why I'm here.

Are there any other sups or topical treatments that have been shown to be effective against hair loss? I've tried all kinds of vitamins and sups before finding this forum with no improvement.

I would say that it has worked very well for me over ten years. I had thinning in the temples and crown (to a lesser degree) ten years ago, which is the reason I stared taking it. Would I be completely bald right now If I had never taken the drug? Who knows. Am I afraid to stop taking it in fear that I will lose the majority of my hair? Absolutely...

AlistairS

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

At the moment, it seems like a hair transplant would be the only solution that would allow me to enjoy my 30's. If/when it does continue to thin, I would just have to deal with it appropriately at that point in time. I haven't made my mind up that I am 100% going to go through with it and want to listen to voices of reason which is why I'm here.

Are there any other sups or topical treatments that have been shown to be effective against hair loss? I've tried all kinds of vitamins and sups before finding this forum with no improvement.

I would say that it has worked very well for me over ten years. I had thinning in the temples and crown (to a lesser degree) ten years ago, which is the reason I stared taking it. Would I be completely bald right now If I had never taken the drug? Who knows. Am I afraid to stop taking it in fear that I will lose the majority of my hair? Absolutely...

If you can post a baseline picture just prior to Finasteride, that will be a good indicator for judging how appropriate a hair transplant is. If the thinning was similar then you are a good candidate in the long-term. If it has gotten worse, you may be playing a lot of catch-up in the years after the transplant.