advice needed! what stage am I / haircut help...

mmmikkke

Reaction score
Hi guys. First of all, I must say I appreciate this forum so much and I've learned a lot here. Seems like a wonderful community I'd like to be a part of.

I'm wondering if it would look good if I grew my hair out long? Or would it look better with a very short cut or a buzz cut? I'm very much afraid of getting a short/buzz cut because I don't want it to reveal the beginnings of this "island" of hair i'm developing. Here is a pic of how I wear my hair now:

Here it is after a sweaty workout and pulled back:

and here it is so that you can see what I mean by the "island":

My situation: I'm 26, had a receding hairline since I was 19 or 20. Last few years the top has been getting real thin, and seems to have gotten especially thin over the last 6 months. I've tried a variety of shampoos to no avail. Also tried Spectral DNC but I didn't like the look and feel of that stuff sticking in my hair. Thinking about trying Rogaine foam next. I'm a creative-type, single guy and I just want to stop thinking about my hair constantly and gain some confidence already.

I really don't know where to turn, any advice is very very very much appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,334

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First of all, I must say I appreciate this forum so much and I've learned a lot here. Seems like a wonderful community I'd like to be a part of.

I'm wondering if it would look good if I grew my hair out long? Or would it look better with a very short cut or a buzz cut? I'm very much afraid of getting a short/buzz cut because I don't want it to reveal the beginnings of this "island" of hair i'm developing. Here is a pic of how I wear my hair now:
View attachment 19310

Here it is after a sweaty workout and pulled back:
View attachment 19311

and here it is so that you can see what I mean by the "island":
View attachment 19312

My situation: I'm 26, had a receding hairline since I was 19 or 20. Last few years the top has been getting real thin, and seems to have gotten especially thin over the last 6 months. I've tried a variety of shampoos to no avail. Also tried Spectral DNC but I didn't like the look and feel of that stuff sticking in my hair. Thinking about trying Rogaine foam next. I'm a creative-type, single guy and I just want to stop thinking about my hair constantly and gain some confidence already.

I really don't know where to turn, any advice is very very very much appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

Buzzing it would minimise the thinning look to be honest mate. You'll hate me for saying this, but having it the length you do emphasises the loss and makes it look a bit like a combover :(

Have you considered finasteride? Rogaine, may give you some regrowth, but will not halt the balding process.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
personally, i'd say buzz it. buzz it and jump on the big three - most likely you'll get some regrowth and maintain what you have for a lot longer. i do think it'd look a lot better buzzed though.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
personally, i'd say buzz it. buzz it and jump on the big three - most likely you'll get some regrowth and maintain what you have for a lot longer. i do think it'd look a lot better buzzed though.

I second that...

TMNK

Established Member
Reaction score
Buzz it. Go on the big 3 -> wait a year -> regrow it -> succes/not succes => bald look or the hairy look.

Irishjim

Reaction score
I'm similar to you, buzzed it a year ago. Started minoxidil and nizoral two months ago, starting finasteride next week. Going to give it a year to look for some regrowth. If I get none I'll stick with the buzz.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cant say for certain because im not a doctor but its in between norwood 4 and norwood 5.

finasteride or dutasteride stat

mmmikkke

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! My hair stylist convinced me to just get a shorter cut at the last second. I looks better, but still kinda bad. I will be buzzing soon and I'll post the after pics.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to take on the side effects of most of these treatments though. I'm terrified of what I've heard with aging skin from Rogaine and the sexual problems from the pills. I could tolerate a lot of side effects for better hair, but probably not those.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It looks nice(better)! you have a nice shaped head!!

rj2000

Reaction score
Massive improvement, it looks absolutely fine with a buzz cut and I bet its a lot less hassle. I'll end up with a buzz cut at some point and hope to pull it off as you have.