Advice needed...pics included

DeezNuts

Reaction score
My pics and my history are on HLH:
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/DeezNuts/

28, losing since 20, diffuse thinning. Long time lurker, try not to post or visit TOO often but feel I am reaching the point of no return recently. Diffuse thinning is kinda like that, you can hide it well for a while...then you reach a point where it looks super thin.

Went and saw a derm just because my insurance covers it and work is so slow. I knew what he would say about my recent shedding, which was just asking about traumatic events, etc. He had his magnifying lenses on and did some pulling and a bunch of hairs fell out. All he could say was Propecia, Propecia, Propecia. When I mentioned Avodart/Dutasteride, his eyes glazed over and he shrugged his shoulders. No use whatsoever and pretty much what I expected, but I think I can now get my Propecia for a $15 copay/month if need be through insurance.

Anyways, my only decisions at this point is whether I should get back on dutasteride at a lower dosage (2-3x week) and ride out the shed or go back to Propecia(every other day). I'm still losing from the side and backs as well as the top. You can take a look at the rest of my regimine in my profile. My family history looks bad for me as well, so I just want to hold on a couple more years while I cope with the thought of shaving it off.

I've gone as long as 7-8 months on Propecia with the oily skin/fluctuating libido/more shedding(back and sides too), but always come back to it, as when I stop the shedding slows(and the skin goes back to normal) then speeds back up to what it was when I was on Propecia, except the individual hairs become thinner, so I go back on it with no real results. It's been a vicious cycle for the past few years, I've always JUST wanted cessation of loss, regrowth isn't even necessary, even at this point for me, as I have never had a prolonged(month+) period of cessation.

I'm also wondering if Xandrox 15% actually works better than 5% minoxidil, as I may just go with a morning/night 5% minoxidil topical mix with Fluridil thrown in every other day. Does anyone really have results with this that had not much success with 5%?

Right now I'm leaning towards giving Propecia one last shot w/5% minoxidil, 15% Xandrox, and Fluridil. If I keep shedding till the end of the new year, I am shaving it(still trying to come to grips with that as well). It looks thicker when it grows out a little as you can see in the pics, but keeping it short will help me transition to the shaved look a little better. I also feel I have lost quite a bit in the past 2 months, which is documented in the pictures and not just imagined.

Any advice appreciated.

TheBaldingMenace

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to specify which pics are current and which pics are older:( If I'm reading you right, the bottom pic is the most recent? Honestly, it does appear that your hair looks a bit better in the bottom pic than the others. But then, I have no clue to which ones are current and which ones aren't :hairy:

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Stop going on and off meds. Eitehr stick with or just let the cips fall as they may...

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: re:

Johnny24601 said:
Stop going on and off meds. Eitehr stick with or just let the cips fall as they may...

dont you feel liek you're being scammed buying Propecia instead of Proscar? They made Propecia after learning that Proscar (5x potency of Propecia) helps with hair regrowth. They're just trying to make a 500% profit on Propecia. Buy Proscar!

latecomer

Established Member
Reaction score
but sometimes propecia is easier with a busy lifestyle as u dont have to cut it. also, its .25mg more which i think could have an extra affect on you than a 1mg. i would love to use proscar but i would prob mess up cuttin the pills and waste a lot of them :hairy:

1derphull

Established Member
Reaction score
Deez, stick with fluridil.
Maybe 5% minoxidil. Try it for 6-9 months, you should get it all back. Your loss isnt bad at all.

If in 9 months, things arent going well come back for more advice.

DeezNuts

Reaction score
Thanks

To specify, the pics go from two months ago(top) to a couple weeks ago(bottom). I know it doesn't "look" too bad, but diffuse thinning has a way of doing that(others that have it know what I am talking about. Being an young asian(subgroup that doesn't have a lot of loss) isn't helpful either.

I guess am going to get back on Propecia(now that I can get it $15/month) and just stay on this regimine, I guess until at least March. I've done the "cutting Proscar" and it's just kinda a pain in the butt for me. Money is not that big of an issue for me if it is in the $20-$40/month range and is easier for me. I will handle the sides, shedding of sides and back, oily skin, etc and hope it stops my loss. Will take pics every few months and update.

I am still a bit wary about Xandrox 15%, as I don't know if Alzeiac Acid is beneficial, at least to the point that Dr. Lee says I should stop Propecia and just take Xandrox if I get a significant shed. I haven't heard any great stories about this, but Dr. Lee seems to be making a BIG push with this product. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help, any additional input greatly appreciated.

dan65

Reaction score
you said your loss is diffuse but it looks to me like your only main problem is at the vertex. i think your hair everywhere else looks like it has a thick texture. i guess i can't know for sure cause it may used to have been thicker but it seems like the only large amount of dht damage is in the vertex. i have felt like i see more hair in my hands in the shower using propecia i am on month 7, but i think that it is actually helping the appearance. hopefully you can try and stay on propecia, i think someone else mentioned try and get a regimen and stick to it.