Advice needed - am I experiencing a minoxidil side effect?

HomerJ

Reaction score
Hi -

I started minoxidil 5% on June 14, only on my temples and only once/day at night.

Anyway, to this point, my temples have gotten much thinner, in particular my "good" temple. I am hoping that this is due to a minoxidil shed. (though I did not see additional hairs in the shower which is where I see my hair loss)

I have also found this to be bad allergy season and my allergy induced asthma, which had been dormant for 8 years or so resurfaced. I had a terrible time breathing in June and part of July. Lately, my breathing issues have gotten better.

Here is the issue - I have noticed that my chest hurts and there is no doubt that some of the pain is your basic muscle pain. I was a little more inactive than usual in May and June and got more active in July and also with the problems I had breathing, it no doubt put additional pressure on my chest muscles.

HOWEVER, sometimes I feel other chest pain and I am not sure what exactly it is. I wonder if it is related potentially to taking minoxidil 5% or not...it is so difficult to tell. Thing is, I *may* (and I am not 100% certain of this) be seeing some regrowth in the "good" temple and would like to continue my minoxidil 5% regimen, for at least 2 more months to get to the 4 month mark, as per the box but this "pain" is concerning me. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks...

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202374.html

Side Effects of This Medicine

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

* Less common
o Itching or skin rash (continued)

* Rare
o Acne at site of application; burning of scalp; increased hair loss; inflammation or soreness at root of hair; reddened skin; swelling of face

* Signs and symptoms of too much medicine being absorbed into the bodyâ€â€￾Rare
o Blurred vision or other changes in vision; chest pain; decrease of sexual ability or desire ; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing; headache; lightheadedness ; numbness or tingling of hands, feet, or face; swelling of face, hands, feet, or lower legs; weight gain (rapid)

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Pirate Commander F.B.

Thanks for the link.

Considering I only apply minoxidil once a day, I can't imagine that I absorb to much into the body....

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think Pirate's post pretty much covered everything, but i noticed that i would sometimes get heart palputation after applying minoxidil... it was like a really heavy heartbeat... this didn't really worry me and only just remembered it reading your post, but i have not had them for a long time. If your worried the safe thing to do is check with a consultant.