Advice For Everyone Coping With Hair Loss

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18 and have been 'bald' for 1/3 of my life. I am currently in university pursuing health sciences and business. It all started when I was in junior high, in the seventh grade, that's when my friends and peers started to tell me that I had a 'bald spot'. It wasn't a big deal to me at all, who even thinks about such a predicament happening to someone at 12/13 years old? But it started to get to me by the time I hit eighth grade and onward as my hair started to thin more and more. At that point in my life, I was extremely stressed about my hair and was very depressed. My hair became thin to the point where I couldn't pull off my everyday hairstyle anymore because some of my scalp was visible.

I didn't understand what's going on and why this is happening to me, I was just a kid going through something no one should ever experience - and thus, due to my ignorance and desperate need to end this nightmare, I resorted to all kinds of treatments from that day (2010) till now in 2016, which all ended in failure. I tried laser combs, all kinds of oils, rogaine (minoxidil), propecia, etc. I tried laser combs in 2010 for about a year, useless garbage. Tried oils (castor oil, olive, etc), didn't work either. Tried rogaine for about two years in highschool, didn't work. Started finasteride/propecia in late 2014 and stopped in 2016 summer; messed up my hormones, my facial hair stopped growing and libido plummeted and barely helped with my hairloss at all - DO NOT TAKE PROPECIA! It may work for some people, but it's not worth sacrificing your future sex life. My facial hair has started to grow back and my libido has sky rocketed, it feels amazing.

What I learned after all of these years is that hair loss can destroy you on a psychological level. I used to pull girls since I was a kid (junior high), even up until grade 10 and 11 when it was manageable, until I simply became too insecure about my hair and my confidence levels plummeted. I was so depressed in senior year that I would turn down going to parties with friends on weekends and hanging out, just stayed at home most of the time and didn't want to socialize. It was until I graduated that I had enough and started going out with friends every day; drinking, smoking weed, parties. I stopped taking propecia and felt great, finally drug free and not messing up my hormones. It was like I made up for all of the time I spent depressed and lonely during the summer and it was worth it, but my hair had reached the all time worse state that it could be in. At the time and even now, I use toppik hair fibers to cover up the thinning on the sides and the back and its working well for the time being.

Hairloss is a b**ch. We all know that and are struggling everyday because of it. There's nothing remotely good on the market and FDA approved drugs, such as minoxidil and propecia are raking in money from all of the desperate men and women out there. It's like cancer, a cure could be out there, but why release it when you can instead charge people on the long term and create a billion dollar business?

My advice:The only solution to me that is time efficient and gets the job done is a hair transplant(s). But then arises another problem: money. Hair transplants are extremely popular among celebrities, businessmen and other people with money, but isn't a realistic option for every day people because one hair transplant isn't enough. Often, you will need multiple hair transplants and possibly more in later years as your hair loss persists. This goes out to all of the young people going through hairloss: Pursue a financial future, pursue a good and stable career that can get you all of the hair transplants you want. Doing this, you can hit two birds with one stone - once you have money, you can focus on your self satisfaction, get hair transplants, girls, etc. The list is endless.

EDIT:

For older people: I believe for older people (40+) who aren't in the financial position to get hair transplants will have to wait for new treatments that are on the come up in the following years. However, I also believe that older people need to "get over" their hair. I know it's not easy at all, but my friend who is 18 did it, so you can too. It's all psychology, your mind is ridden with negative thoughts that you've accumulated over time and you need to refresh yourself. A way that I've been able to combat it is to read up on news articles and Barcroft TV on youtube, learning about so many humans out there that are in horrible situations, but still manage to be happy and have hope. It makes my problems seem insignificant and helps me become a stronger person. There are children playing in bomb craters in Syria, having fun where their people were recently killed. It's the little things that help you realize that there's so much more to life than having to stress over your hair. I know it's not easy, I am still depressed and bummed out over my predicament, but all I can do is try to keep my head up and aim for something in the future.

Hope this was of help to you guys :) If there's any questions, please feel free to ask

Last edited:

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to sh*t on your enthusiasm, but your "chin up advice" is stuff everyone is well used to hearing.

Also, from an 18 year old, it sounds extra patronizing to say "get over your psychological problems" and that being bald "isn't really a big deal" to people 40+. Interesting how just about none of them feel that way. If someone wakes up in the morning and hates their reflection due to baldness, how can you say "it doesn't matter"?

Most men only start balding in their mid 30s or 40s and plenty of people are still dating or even getting married at that age.

It's also fairly naive to be like "You should pursue lots of money so you can get hair transplants!" What about the people who went NW7 before 21? What about people who want hair, but have other responsibilities like school, paying the rent, putting food on the table or a family to feed? Were they supposed to just not live life in case they started going bald early?

You're right on one account, though: There are better treatments and even an outright cure on the horizon. However, you're only getting most of them if you've got lots of money and are willing to travel. All of this is extremely bittersweet for men and women who've spent decades suffering hairloss.

menbram

Reaction score
Damn, bad genes you have there bro. Good for you that you have find a way to cope with your loss and think ahead of the future. Hairloss sucks but it should not destroy your whole social life, great to see that you conquered that. Those stories on these forums from people contemplating to commit suicide are so sad and depressing, good to see someone here with positive vibes!

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh f***! Here we go fuckin' go again. Complete and utter bullshit!!!!!
How the f*** would you know????
Our friend shows you cannot be modest or humble at 18.

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to sh*t on your enthusiasm, but your "chin up advice" is stuff everyone is well used to hearing.

Also, from an 18 year old, it sounds extra patronizing to say "get over your psychological problems" and that being bald "isn't really a big deal" to people 40+. Interesting how just about none of them feel that way. If someone wakes up in the morning and hates their reflection due to baldness, how can you say "it doesn't matter"?

Most men only start balding in their mid 30s or 40s and plenty of people are still dating or even getting married at that age.

It's also fairly naive to be like "You should pursue lots of money so you can get hair transplants!" What about the people who went NW7 before 21? What about people who want hair, but have other responsibilities like school, paying the rent, putting food on the table or a family to feed? Were they supposed to just not live life in case they started going bald early?

You're right on one account, though: There are better treatments and even an outright cure on the horizon. However, you're only getting most of them if you've got lots of money and are willing to travel. All of this is extremely bittersweet for men and women who've spent decades suffering hairloss.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I was only speaking from experience. I should have included all of that in my thread, but thought no one will read something so long. I know many guys that went bald early, like me. For example, one of my closest friends always had a big forehead and his hairline started receding by the time he was in highschool (freshman year). Can you imagine how tough that is? His case was much more severe than mine and we got some friends together and shaved his head at his house - and he's been shaving his head since. I guess he definitely is among the small majority of men that can pull off the shaved look because he has the perfect skull shape. He no longer is depressed about his hair and is quite happy, I consider him among the "lucky" people.

Now as far as men balding much later (30s-40s) is considered, this is much better than balding in your teenage years, we can all agree on something so obvious, right? There is no way in any shape or form someone balding in his 30s-40s who got to live the majority of his life as a normal person, got the opportunity to pursue a career and live life with no drawbacks have it worse than someone who hasn't even BEGUN his transition to adulthood, let alone get to fully enjoy a childhood. Also, when you're older, hair shouldn't be such a huge deal in some ways: for example, women at that age would prefer someone with money, with character and personality, masculine, and confidence over a man with the best hair in the world, but has no job and isn't getting anywhere in life. You see where I'm going?

To address people balding before 21, you're talking to one right now (me, lol!). From my experience, I've learned that there are two types of people that are balding at my age. Either they 'make it' or they 'break it'. The first type of people are the 'make it', they look past their hairloss and realize that they can't keep dwelling on it forever or else they won't go anywhere in life (whether we are talking academically, financially, socially, etc) so they make a stand and work hard to do something with their life and move on. I have met many people like that, such as my friend I mentioned earlier and I even know a guy who went straight up bald as f*** when he was 19 and now he's in med school. Now the second type are the 'break it' people, they 'break' hence the name. They cannot cope with their depression and anxiety and unfortunately it gets the best of them, they end up miserable their whole lives and don't get anywhere in life because hairloss was simply too much.

And addressing if people my age with other responsibilities should not "live" life early due to their balding, I ask: what is there to do at such an early age? When you're in your 20's and under, life is not fun and games. You need to pursue education and build a financial future for yourself, your parents, you future wife, etc. If you are just looking to have fun at such an age, then you doing something seriously wrong. The age for partying and f*****g girls is long gone and you need to mature up and realize that there is more to life than that. That's all I have to say regarding that point. If you're too focused on having fun at that age, or in your case, too worried about MISSING out on fun at that age due to hairloss, then you have another thing coming because life will only get worse in the coming years.

Last edited:

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
You started treatments when you were 12? And went on Propecia when you were 16? :eek:

That's the most aggressive case I've ever heard of. Are you sure you aren't messing up some of the details here?

And don't discourage people from taking Propecia. Most guys do not get sides (including myself), and the increase in life quality from keeping your hair can be significant.

Yeah, I've had quite the shitty experience. I'm not missing any details, it's all genetics. As far as propecia is considered, it is definitely not a drug you should be taking. When men are going impotent and getting erectile dysfunction around the world due to it, you know there's something wrong. I do not trust anything FDA approved, it's all a shitty marketing strategy for these people, they could care less about a cure for hairloss coming forth. I started propecia at 16 and my hair definitely stopped shedding as much, but my facial hair stopped growing and I felt like I was being "feminized". By summer 2016, I realized that drug can seriously mess up my dick and I could never live with myself knowing that I messed up my sex life and the possibility of having children because I was going bald! There is no way the two things are equally important; you need to make the choice of whether your hair is more important to you than your dick and cross your fingers that nothing happens in the future or just say f*** it and realize that your hair should never be above what makes you a man!

Last edited:

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn, bad genes you have there bro. Good for you that you have find a way to cope with your loss and think ahead of the future. Hairloss sucks but it should not destroy your whole social life, great to see that you conquered that. Those stories on these forums from people contemplating to commit suicide are so sad and depressing, good to see someone here with positive vibes!

I'm glad you see my point. There's no question that I still have psychological problems and am depressed, but you cannot stay like that forever and f*** up your life, right? Sometimes its better to struggle and aquire the fruits of your labour along the way

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, when you're older, hair shouldn't be such a huge deal in some ways: for example, women at that age would prefer someone with money,

Wrong again. It's usually the girls in their early 20's who are grubbing for men with money.
Older women are usually more established and have higher goals for themselves.
Now I'm not saying all young ladies are likke this, but from what I have seen, heard and experienced, it's more so that way.

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong again. It's usually the girls in their early 20's who are grubbing for men with money.
Older women are usually more established and have higher goals for themselves.
Now I'm not saying all young ladies are likke this, but from what I have seen and heard, it's more so that way.

Why are you picking what you want from what I said? I did not just say money, there were quite a few more valid points there. Quote the full thing and elaborate instead of picking one thing that supports your arguement and completely avoiding every other point I made.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had quite the shitty experience. I'm not missing any details, it's all genetics. As far as propecia is considered, it is definitely not a drug you should be taking. When men are going impotent and getting erectile dysfunction around the world due to it, you know there's something wrong. I do not trust anything FDA approved, it's all a shitty marketing strategy for these people, they could care less about a cure for hairloss coming forth. I started propecia at 16 and my hair definitely stopped shedding as much, but my facial hair stopped growing and I felt like I was being "feminized". By summer 2016, I realized that drug can seriously mess up my dick and I could never live with myself knowing that I messed up my sex life and the possibility of having children because I was going bald! There is no way the two things are equally important; you need to make the choice of whether your hair is more important to you than your dick and cross your fingers that nothing happens in the future or just say f*** it and realize that your hair should never be above what makes you a man!

Sorry to hear about your story but lets be honest, you took a hormone altering drug before you were done with puberty and are surprised it gave you sides? Not to say it wouldn't give you sides anyways but the fact that you were 16 when you took it just makes it even worse. DHT is an important hormone during puberty

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you picking what you want from what I said? I did not just say money, there were quite a few more valid points there. Quote the full thing and elaborate instead of picking one thing that supports your arguement and completely avoiding every other point I made.

I'm not picking what I want. Your other "valid" points....Personality, character, masculinity and confidence are on a completely different level than money. I think girls of all ages want those traits. That's why I left them out.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And addressing if people my age with other responsibilities should not "live" life early due to their balding, I ask: what is there to do at such an early age? When you're in your 20's and under, life is not fun and games. You need to pursue education and build a financial future for yourself, your parents, you future wife, etc. If you are just looking to have fun at such an age, then you doing something seriously wrong. The age for partying and f*****g girls is long gone and you need to mature up and realize that there is more to life than that.

Im gonna qoute you again. And no, I'm not picking on you. I just read certain things and I want to understand them.

Now, for what you said above here. "When you're in your 20's and under, life is not fun and games"

"The age for partying and f*****g girls is long gone"

What!!! So you're sayin the ages of 20 and under are not the ages for partying and bedding girls???
I'm just not clear on what you're saying here. Dude, Im 40 and I'm still doing it. And I'm living a happy satisfying life. And please don't give me the "time to grow up" sh*t.
Life is what you make it. If you want to have fun. Have fun, at any age. Life's too short.

Last edited:

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im gonna qoute you again. And no, I'm not picking on you. I just read certain things and I want to understand them.

Now, for what you said above here. "When you're in your 20's and under, life is not fun and games"

"The age for partying and f*****g girls is long gone"

What!!! So you're sayin the ages of 20 and under are not the ages for partying and bedding girls???
I'm just not clear on what you're saying here. Dude, Im 40 and I'm still doing it. And I'm living a happy satifying life. And please don't give me the "time to grow up" sh*t.
Life is what you make it. If you want to have fun. Have fun, at any age. LIfes too short.

This is interesting and don't worry about it, I appreciate your responses. You see, we both clearly have very different perspectives in life. You see, I've gotten my fair share of girls and have gotten bored of going to parties and doing the same sh*t over and over again. I know quite a few friends that agree with my ideology that is just gets boring and bland after a while and that's when you want something more: a real relationship.

Going to university, you meet a lot of girls with big ambitions, and you realize that you need to do something with your life if you want a successful and independant woman. I don't want to spend my life going to ratchet parties and f*****g random chicks, that's not how I roll, bro

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting and don't worry about it, I appreciate your responses. You see, we both clearly have very different perspectives in life. You see, I've gotten my fair share of girls and have gotten bored of going to parties and doing the same sh*t over and over again. I know quite a few friends that agree with my ideology that is just gets boring and bland after a while and that's when you want something more: a real relationship.

Going to university, you meet a lot of girls with big ambitions, and you realize that you need to do something with your life if you want a successful and independant woman. I don't want to spend my life going to ratchet parties and f*****g random chicks, that's not how I roll, bro

Fair enough. To each his own.

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know man. You took the drug way before the recommended age and at a stage where DHT is still important to your development. Finasteride is by this point a thoroughly studied drug and the evidence largely points to it being safe for the vast majority of adult men. As far as it causing permanent ED and the likes, the evidence there is mainly anecdotal and my impression is that it can be hard to untangle cause/effect when it comes to things like libido and sexual function. For example, I was in a deep depression earlier this year after a break-up and ran into performance issues for the first time in my life, in addition to having very low sexual drive. I could literally watch a p*rn clip from start to finish and have my penis be 1/3rds erect. After a while the depression went away and I found a partner that I was highly compatible with. We have sex multiple times a day and I get strong erections in seconds.

Taking it is a calculated risk, for sure, but so is taking any drug. Having shaved and been truly bald for a period in my life, I know that I would get close to zero vag if I were to lose much more hair than I currently have. My current partner, who is probably one of the smartest girls I've ever dated, told me outright that she would have left-swiped me if i was bald. Honestly, taking finasteride is a very easy decision for me. Don't make the mistake some guys do and crusade against the drug because you personally could not take it.

Yep, you have a valid point. And my apologies for not stating my exact problems with propecia: I only had problems with my beard not growing in anymore and some problems with libido every now and then. I was definitely still sexually active and it didn't mess me up in that department. The dermatologists I visited told me that I should be fine taking propecia at a younger age and that they've had many cases of individuals my age go on propecia as well. However, one doctor that my dad personally knows very well and is good friends with, told him that propecia is a huge gamble and not worth taking - of course, when my dad told me what he was told, I was oblivious (I was 17) and didn't give a f*** and continued to stay on propecia, but later on as I turned 18, I grew tired of my hair ruining my life. I was tired of taking a potentially very harmful drug that I was ignorantly taking because I don't want to lose my hair, but it had been well over a year and it didn't do anything and could ruin my body - so yeah

Last edited:

MynamesName

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your story but lets be honest, you took a hormone altering drug before you were done with puberty and are surprised it gave you sides? Not to say it wouldn't give you sides anyways but the fact that you were 16 when you took it just makes it even worse. DHT is an important hormone during puberty

Yes, I clarified this in reply to zircon. My opinion however is that you're still messing with your hormones and regardless of whether you're still in puberty or well past it, it can still be dangerous. Hence all of the stigma behind propecia being such a dangerous drug, and you can't discredit all of it, there is definitely some truth behind it.
I believe hair transplants are the best option, but not an affordible and realistic solution for many people out there.

christkr

Reaction score

This KID is 18 years old and sounds three times as old as you. He's just telling people to have a healthy view on hair loss. Stop being so pathetic..