Advice appreciated

Ladidoc

Reaction score
Hi there. I am new to this forum and am here like most seeking support and advice. My 14-year-old son recently lost all of his hair due to Alopecia Universalis. He has suffered for Alopecia Areata since he was 9 and the hair always grew back with the help of scalp injections. The total loss of his hair is new for us and a big source of emotional distress for him as he prepares to enter High School this fall. He went through a steroid taper recently and we noticed stubble appear on his scalp but it has not really progressed past that. I am looking for any suggestions with remedies that others have tried. I know that in many cases it will rectify itself with time, however, we would like to try and stimulate regrowth if at all possible prior to school starting. I am in the process of looking for a dermatologist that works with children suffering hair loss in the Tampa area to see if there is anything more we can do medically. In the meantime I am looking for anything that anyone has had success with at home...I've read about supplements, oils, juices etc. I am a believer in natural methods for healing I just don't know what to trust and can't afford to spend a lot of money with trial and error. Was hoping to benefit from the wisdom of those who have already been there. Thank you so much for any help you can give!

rkwilliams

Reaction score
Good luck

Hello, unfortunately I can't offer any advice, I have a 14 year old son who has alopecia totalis since the age of 1, and he has never had any hair at all. Occasionally he will have some eyebrows and eyelashes, but those fall out as well. Recently I have been doing some research and I have decided to put my son on a gluten free diet. I have read that there have been studies showing that gluten sensitivities can cause alopecia. I figured it is worth a shot, a gluten free diet is something that we have not tried yet. I wish I could say some encouraging words, but honestly there just isn't, kids can be cruel and my son still suffers from bullying and he has had this his whole life. The best thing you can do is just show your son love and support, and let him know that this is just a rough time he has to go through, and this is not going to define his life. Once he is out of school, not having hair isn't even going to matter, and it is not going to affect the man that he will be. I tell my son that everything he is going through, is to make him a stronger and better person in life. The best of luck to you all.

Cambodia

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have alopecia totalis around 6 years now, and I have treatment that can help me to keep my hair . I knew how it feel when we have this disease. Anyway I'm free if you want to ask how to treat.

Cambodia

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have alopecia totalis around 6 years now, and I have treatment that can help me to keep my hair . I knew how it feel when we have this disease. Anyway I'm free if you want to ask how to treat. I hope bring all your smile back!

Nursepatty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new to this forum and am here like most seeking support and advice. My 14-year-old son recently lost all of his hair due to Alopecia Universalis. He has suffered for Alopecia Areata since he was 9 and the hair always grew back with the help of scalp injections. The total loss of his hair is new for us and a big source of emotional distress for him as he prepares to enter High School this fall. He went through a steroid taper recently and we noticed stubble appear on his scalp but it has not really progressed past that. I am looking for any suggestions with remedies that others have tried. I know that in many cases it will rectify itself with time, however, we would like to try and stimulate regrowth if at all possible prior to school starting. I am in the process of looking for a dermatologist that works with children suffering hair loss in the Tampa area to see if there is anything more we can do medically. In the meantime I am looking for anything that anyone has had success with at home...I've read about supplements, oils, juices etc. I am a believer in natural methods for healing I just don't know what to trust and can't afford to spend a lot of money with trial and error. Was hoping to benefit from the wisdom of those who have already been there. Thank you so much for any help you can give!

I have no treatment remedies but I have been using Lori'swigsite for my hairpieces for years. They do have them for boys too. Call or email her, she is very good with helping you determine the best product for you. I recommend monofilament human hair wigs. Good luck!!

My son karim

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am new here also and i have 10 years old son and this is anew rough experience that we going through it, my son fell in deep grief and he refused to go school or deal with children, thought that the people don't like him. And i can't take him off from the sadness.