Aderans... Possibly some promising news?

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm.... found this today. Maybe Histogen has some stiffer competition.

We'll see. Basically, they're expanding their Phase II trials to additional cities. Maybe some of you want to try it out?

From Earth Times...

Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) said today it has expanded its clinical trials on hair regeneration by an additional seven cities in the United States.

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) May 4, 2010 -- Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) said today it has expanded its clinical trials on hair regeneration by an additional seven cities in the United States. Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; and New Hyde Park, NY, have been added through clinical site company Impact Clinical Trials. Tucson, AZ; St. Louis, MO; Birmingham, AL; and St. Petersburg, FL, have been added through clinical site company Radiant Research.

Collectively, the Radiant and Impact sites will add around 80 new subjects to the study. Combined with at least twenty new additions at a site hosted by TKL Research, the second phase of ARI’s clinical study will surpass 200 subjects in total, a remarkable number of participants for a Phase 2 trial.

“The expansion of our study reflects not only the significance of the investment made by Aderans Co. Ltd of Japan, but also our confidence that we’re getting closer to a commercial viable solution to the problems of hair loss,†said Vern Liebmann, Vice President, Operations.

Added ARI Executive Vice President Ken Washenik M.D., Ph.D., “We’ve received some encouraging results from our initial Phase 2 studies and we’re eager to expand the trial, add new protocols, and refine our knowledge of the hair multiplication and regeneration process.â€

Kurt Stenn M.D., Vice President of Research and Chief Scientific Officer, commented, “It is gratifying to see our research being steadily confirmed in our clinical work.â€

Phase 2 launched in November of 2008. Phase 1 of ARI’s clinical study began in September of 2006 and concluded in February of 2008.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Great. I guess the only thing missing now is Follica coming out with some promising news, then we'll have 4 companies on their way to beating this sh*t, Follica, Aderans, Histogen and Trichoscience.

My hope lies with Follica and Histogen. Not only is their approach simpler, but it'll also probably be much cheaper IF, and it's a big if, it does come to market.

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm liking Histogen myself too. Clearly less invasive in that they don't need to cut into you for any reason.... just the injections. However, Aderans seems to be further ahead in their trials. I guess we'll see.

I'm running out of time.... I need something to work like now.

Though I don't really know that Aderans has posted any real results have they?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't go on a medical trail if you are bothered by hairloss
from what i heard of the intercytex trails the patients have a square part of multiplied hair and had to have really short hair and were not allowed to take minoxidil or finasteride
soo not for anyone on minoxidil, finasteride or with a Norwood below 5

adreans are probs gonna be the first to market hm but i can imagine it will come at a price....it'll cost more than a hair transplant for sure
strangely this information is realised only soon after they bought intercytex so they obviously obtained some useful scientific data from TRC

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
Great point on both counts. I forgot they bought Intercytex.

Yeah I wouldn't stop taking finasteride and rogaine for a study for sure.

I guess we'll see what they work out. I don't care what the price is. If it works, I'll somehow figure out a way. Here's to hoping!

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jj77 said:
How long does a "phase" last, generally?
phase 0 to market is up to 8 years

ARI has done phase 1 and started phase 2 last year
assuming things go ok i'll give it 5-7 years before it comes to market

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
somone uk said:
jj77 said:

That would suck, in 5-7 years my 20s are gonna be almost over.

Boondock

Reaction score
Matt Skiba said:
[quote="somone uk":3ntivzq0]
jj77 said:

That would suck, in 5-7 years my 20s are gonna be almost over.[/quote:3ntivzq0]

Exactly. That's why it's not worth dwelling on future treatments. They might happen, or they might not. If they do happen, they'll likely be too late for it to matter for any of us.

I plan my future 'as if' they're never going to happen, since I believe this is the safest and most effective mindset to hold.

BitchBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Once we get some solid tech and results though, once we know it's just more or less a matter or red tape, that, in itself, is going to change everything.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
jj77 said:

I'm not an expert but I do know that phase 3 trials are usually the longest and most expensive.

Assuming this new treatment really works, I'd say the 5-7 years estimate is reasonable.

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
don't forget, if all goes well histogen can go straight to market after phase ii trials in asia. They are starting congruent phase i, phase ii trails late this year. It could be possible to have a market product in asia 2-3 years from now.

ive said it before, ill say it again, aderans is a company i have no faith in. This hair multiplication thing using dermal papilla cells has been around for a LONG time, Dr. Gho failed and it was his life's project. Intercytex failed, and sold their crap to adreans. Adreans will push anything to the market, Im sure this new "technique" of theirs will require you to get an hair transplant from bosely as well and they will charge a fortune for it. Do not count on it.

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the dermal papilla cell route that much of a failure? I mean, they clearly received some more information once they bought intercytex and expanded phase II because of that. I dunno, maybe it's a lost cause as you say.

I am more interested in Histogen like you, but they seem to be doing exactly what you criticize Aderans for. Histogen would be pushing it to the market ASAP.... in Asia anyways.

Granted, I would love to run out to Asia and have it done, but would you really run out to get stuff injected into your head in the hopes of growing hair after ONLY phase II trials? I mean this would only be a few years of testing at the most. No one knows the long term effects of such a procedure.... even 5 year marker. To make it an extra "short term" study only worries me more. No one knows if it will cause some kind of malignancy or something. I know they have very promising results.... not even any irritation after injections, but still...... I would wait until the FDA approves it most likely.

Either way, my bet is also Histogen. I think what their doing is much more on the money..... but time will tell.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
Could these procedures cause cancer? I mean let's say they inject them cells and they keep reproducing nonstop, isn't that what cancer does ?

ugh. i dunno.

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
guy83 said:
Could these procedures cause cancer? I mean let's say they inject them cells and they keep reproducing nonstop, isn't that what cancer does ?

ugh. i dunno.

Yes, there is a risk. Histogen actually addresses that, and why they believe cancer risk is almost non existent. You can search the bald truth for that, or histogen.com. But yes, this is one of my main worries, and something we will have to keep an eye on. In fact, almost all drugs are like this, even propecia. most drugs are tested for 5-10 years max before they go to market, so everyone who is using the drug after that time point is technically a long term safety study..... Pharm companies have number crunchers who sit there and calculate the chance of this occurring to how much the average law suit will run to how much profit they can make. Yaz comes to mind, which is a horrible drug but they slang that sh*t like candy to women for birth control and pms and acne, have had many lawsuits but sell it because its still profitable.

to kube8, I'm not criticizing adreans for pushing a product to the market quickly, but more the fact that the technology they are using has proven many times over the past 10 years to be a dead end. Histogen, from their pre clinical phase 0 trial already produced results better than finasteride 1mg(propecia), rogaine, or whatever other treatment there is out there and blew intercytex's results out of the water.

if their product is released in 2013, which would be best case scenario, it would only have been around for about 5-6 years. But yes, there is a chance that at the ten year mark+ point other longer term issues could surface. This is a risk, and the risk exist for most drugs as well. Just something everyone will have to asses themselves.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:thumbdown2:
go and wait for fda approval and will don't have anything to grow up again...every single drug have his side...even those for a minor cold...
I think it is a big difference between adreran's solution and histogen...
aderan is trying to multiply dermal papilla in lab and to implant the new follicle...but histogen is trying to revive the follicle and to create new one through some kind of cells...am i right?

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
:thumbdown2:
go and wait for fda approval and will don't have anything to grow up again...every single drug have his side...even those for a minor cold...
I think it is a big difference between adreran's solution and histogen...
aderan is trying to multiply dermal papilla in lab and to implant the new follicle...but histogen is trying to revive the follicle and to create new one through some kind of cells...am i right?

I like the FDA because they are paranoid, but hate them at the same time because they are paranoid. But i guess better to err on the side of saftey....... or should i say who has more money to pay the bureaucrats out. Eitherway, getting FDA approval will take 3 years more at least and I do not want to wait for that!

I guess if this thing does work well, It will convince me to at least get an aggressive hair transplant, which i suppose would be safer than taking a new treatment that has no long term safety data. So i suppose I could have a full head of hair before this hits the market if preliminary data looks real good!

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i used to have anti FDA rants but frankly one thing i have found out is that for every article of good science there are 10 articles of complete and utter sh*t
but the majority of the public are unable to differentiate the difference between good and crap science
if anyone has been made to comprehend the vast quantities of crap science that gets vindicated and validated today i would think anyone would agree towards having a body of standards like the FDA (especially since most of the crap science is in biology )
dr rassman does get a lot of flack (well used to) because people will believe anything that is put into a scientific journal and believe what's written without looking elsewhere for peer reviews or good citation of proven concept or anything else that differentiates gibberish from science

i can't wait till HM comes to market but i'll want it to have a good sticker of validation on it first and that would be an FDA approval

teenhandmodel

Reaction score
Does anyone know what exactly hair multiplication is ?
From what i understand the results of a procedure (if it ever comes out) will double your donor hair.