Adding Revita and Redken Conditioner to my Regimen

AlexD

Reaction score
I plan on trying these out just to see the cosmetic effects first (cosmetic meaning literally right when I dry the hair to make sure if it looks good. Thick hair is fine and dandy but I don't want to look terrible for the 6-12 months it would need to be fully effective, haha).

Regardless, the question I have is this: Revita has the same active ingredient as Nizoral 1% for anti-dandruff. While the 2% Nizoral has been shown to be more effective, 1% has an effect on hair regrowth, does it not?

And if one were to stop using the shampoo and/or conditioner, would hair gained from those be lost? Is it the same as Minoxidil or will those hairs remain as long as you stay on your previous regimen (which for me is 1.66g finasteride a day + 2ml of Rogaine)

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
AlexD said:
Going to try Revita out today to see the cosmetic effect :D

First weeks of Revita increases the hair you shed, but stick with it. I use it for 1 month and it leaves my hair good, shedding reduced too.

AlexD

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sticking with it, I think I may only use it 3-4 times a week at most though, and at intervals. 3 days straight and my hair looked like it could use a break. I am shedding, which doesn't worry me too much because usually that means what I'm using is somewhat effective, haha

DHTHater

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest here, as an early proponent of Revita, I extolled its virtues on this forum for many of its purported good ingredients, but for whatever reason it made my scalp itch like no tomorrow so I finally gave it a rest. It also made my scalp really oily if I left it in for 5-10 minutes at a time while shampooing. Some might say that's a good thing, (the oiliness a good sign of hair health etc). Indeed, on paper Revita has a lot of nice ingredients of the "experimental" variety, and even a few essentials. I just couldn't deal with the itch personally. So I'd say if you don't experience itch with it, and feel like it's working, then go for it, but I stopped advocating it.

I'm now using a prescribed Nizoral 2% to shampoo with exclusively, and I add bags of Green Tea and a dollop of MSM cream to the bottle. So it's basically a proprietary mix of 2 % Ketoconazole, Green Tea, and MSM (sulfur). That in combination with my nutrition plan and Propecia is leaving my hair stronger than ever. The prescription for Nizoral 2% was surprisingly easy to get. I simply contacted my dermatologist and said I needed it to control seborrheic dermatitis on my forehead and scalp, citing that I had used Nizoral 1% OTC for a while and it worked moderately well but wanted to try 2%. Because I was an established patient, I didn't even have to come in, I simply called and she subsequently called my local pharmacy and authorized it. I've heard some people just found the right website and claim they have seborrheic dermatitis on their scalp and it will send it to them no questions asked. It's not a high risk prescription for any doctor or company so is relatively easy to get.I'd recommend going this way for shampoo personally, but to each their own.

With regard to Redken 'Extreme' conditioner (the conditioner you'd want of the Redken brand), this is another conditioner I discussed a while ago. Redken actually makes the claim that Redken Extreme Conditioner can and will repair and rebuild brittle hair shafts and add 2-4 times the width within a month, and most of its reviewers agree that it does work if you stick with it. I used it for a while and it certainly added shine and strength, although I didn't stick with it very long soon replacing it with Avalon Organics Thickening, Biotin B-Complex Conditioner which I still use to this day with good results. It's actually much cheaper than the Redken Extreme Conditioner which runs a little pricey $15-20 bucks for the small bottle vs the $10 bucks for the larger bottle of Biotin B Complex conditioner. The Avalon Biotin B Complex conditioner is loaded with essential 'hair loss relevant' ingredients as well (eg. Biotin, Saw Palmetto, Zinc, Niacin, Aloe, and Panthenol)

AlexD

Reaction score
Thanks for the great input guys. I have two bottles of Revita, I figure I'll use it 5x a week and then throw in some other shampoo/conditioner until I run out, and see what the results are. So far I have had some itch but nothing major at all, and some shedding but I'm seeing a ton of tiny hairs on my temples now.

In terms of Redken Extreme Conditioner (which I am using), I got two small bottles for $18, it smells great and leaves my hair feeling pretty smooth.

Regardless, to attest to the true efficacy of these two additions to my regimen, I have to wait another 5 months or so before I can make a judgment. So we'll see. Worst comes to worst I shave my head, haha. And I really doubt these blends will make me *lose* my hair faster, so I'm not too worried...

More input would also be awesome!

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
i started using revita a little over a month ago. At first i started shedding like crazy every time i applied it, and was seriously considering ending its use.
Now the shedding seems to have stopped, so im hoping my hair will grow in a little fuller now. Have you experienced shedding yet?
I use it two days a week, and regular nizoral 1% another two times a week.

AlexD

Reaction score
Actually yes, I've experienced quite a bit of shedding. I figure since I've already lost some hair I might as well stick with it for a while longer. I'm using it 5 days a week, I would use it more but I've heard that too much Keto and Caffeine is a bad thing, so I'm limiting the use. Also I'm using very little, at least compared to other shampoos - I don't feel like I need to use as much.