Adding produts to your regimine...?!?

jeffsss

Reaction score
as you can see, my regimine is pretty simple.

I've been thinking of adding spironolactone or rogaine..

what do you guys think? my head isnt bald, but it's pretty thin.

i've only been on my regimine for a little under 2 months.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Add treatments only in intervals of 6 months to 1 year. Preferrably 1 year. Do not add things until you have given your current regimen time to work. Minimum time for a regimen to establish its optimum performance is 1 full year.

Pace yourself. This is a long fight. Don't use everything up right away.

HairLossTalk.com

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
Or hit it with everything available and hope that someting new and innovative will come out soon and you'll be glad you kept what you did...

foeplay

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Add treatments only in intervals of 6 months to 1 year. Preferrably 1 year. Do not add things until you have given your current regimen time to work. Minimum time for a regimen to establish its optimum performance is 1 full year.

Pace yourself. This is a long fight. Don't use everything up right away.

HairLossTalk.com

I started straight on the big 3 going on 2 months, should I drop rogaine or propecia? I have diffuse thinning on vertext and u can see scalp when in the light.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Justlooking said:
Or hit it with everything available and hope that someting new and innovative will come out soon and you'll be glad you kept what you did...
Not logical or wise advice.

1) Because you are putting all your eggs in one basket. Never a wise thing.
2) Because you're assuming a new treatment will come out in the next 5 years when there haven't been any new ones in the last 5 and as far as we know, there are no new ones on the way right now.
3) You can use proven treatments and expect at the very *least* that they will maintain what you have, so starting small is the best option.
4) Even if they do not work, 1 year is not enough time to damage your progress. If you add something after that and it does work for you, you will easily restore 1 years worth of loss. Hair loss takes many years to become irreversible.

So pace yourself, and start with a minimalist approach unless you have already lost a noticeable amount of hair.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
foeplay said:
I started straight on the big 3 going on 2 months, should I drop rogaine or propecia? I have diffuse thinning on vertext and u can see scalp when in the light.
???? no. Why would you drop a treatment? You guys confuse me sometimes.

HairLossTalk.com

Monkey

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, would you recommend adding a couple of small things that might slightly help - such as, grape seed extract tablets, Saw Palmetto tablets, Green Tea, Nizoral etc? I see various people have these as part of their regimin and wonder whether these can provide a better environment for the main treatment (e.g. propecia, minoxidil, Revivogen) to work?

SE-freak

Reaction score
A ketoconazole shampoo is a must. So yes, include nizoral.

Green tea is a great beverage and a great antioxidant too.

Saw Palmetto though, that's another story. If you are willing to mess with hormones, mess the proper way(propecia). Natural origin does not equal innocence.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Monkey said:
HairLossTalk.com, would you recommend adding a couple of small things that might slightly help - such as, grape seed extract tablets, Saw Palmetto tablets, Green Tea
unfortunately due to lack of testing, we have no way to label these things as being able to help a little, a lot, or any sort of scale. I would love to be able to say "Okay Propecia is gonna help a lot, like 85 on a scale of 100 ... and ... here .... green tea, this is like a 15 .... so you can add it to the 85 and probably hit 100 that way". Unfortunately without testing its all one big blur. Its more like "X product works becuase its been tested and XY product might or might not, nobody knows". Thats really the comparison.

I see various people have these as part of their regimin and wonder whether these can provide a better environment for the main treatment (e.g. propecia, minoxidil, Revivogen) to work?
Technically if we're talking about optimizing the environment, Nizoral is the only one in your list which can do that. SP failed to reduce serum DHT levels when taken orally, so thats out, and the others don't relate to scalp environment directly.

HairLossTalk.com

jeffsss

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
foeplay said:
???? no. Why would you drop a treatment? You guys confuse me sometimes.

HairLossTalk.com

I think he's asking because you mentioned not to "put all your eggs in one basket"

if the big 3 dont work for him then he'll run out of options sooner.

petemitchell

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
A ketoconazole shampoo is a must. So yes, include nizoral.

Green tea is a great beverage and a great antioxidant too.

Saw Palmetto though, that's another story. If you are willing to mess with hormones, mess the proper way(propecia). Natural origin does not equal innocence.

I used Nizorelle (the 1% version) a couple of years ago but felt that although it cleared the scalp it left my hair in a terrible condition, plus it had an absolutely AWFUL smell.

My scalp's in pretty decent condition at the minute, using premium shampoos and conditioners rather than drugstore brands makes a GREAT difference IMO. When I start propecia, am I still going to have to use nizoral even though I'm not using or needing rogaine? In other words, will using propecia make my scalp's condition worse so that nizoral is needed?

petemitchell

Reaction score
Not really for hairloss, but I've got really good, clear skin, partly from genetics, partly from eating well and partly from using REALLY expensive skincare products. I've read that quite a few people have problems with their skin (increased oiliness, spots) when taking propecia and so I want to take a supplement that'll help to keep my skin looking great. Thing is though, I don't want to be taking anything that might hinder the propecia's effectiveness, or taking a toxic level of any vitamin or mineral. I've been having a look at these supplements from NV Perricone, just wondered if anyone with knowledge on these things could take a look and see if they recommend taking them? This is the ingredients:

Pre-packed to save you time and to take the guess work out of vitamin supplements. This box contains 30 individual packets each with specific vitamins and minerals to keep your skin clear and healthy. Each packet contains the following:

ALA + DMAE + CHROMIUM + ZINC (1 CAPSULE)
Alpha Lipoic Acid 50mg
DMAE (Dimethyl-aminoelthane bitartrate)100mg
Chromium (as Chromium Polynicotinate)100mg
Zinc (as zinc ascorbate) 30mg

CALCIUM - MAGNESIUM + D
Calcium Citrate (100mg Calcium) 500mg
Magnesium Ascorbate (16mg Magnesium)250mg

TOCOSPANâ„¢ “2000â€￾ + “10â€￾ FULL SPECTRUM NATURAL VITAMIN E (1 SOFTGEL CAPSULE)
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) 200iu
Gamma Tocopherol 50mg
Delta Tocopherol 20mg
Beta Tocopherol 1.5mg
Mixed Tocotrienols (Tocominâ„¢) 10mg
d-Alpha Tocotrienol 2.9mg
d-Beta Tocotrienol 126.5mcg
d-gamma Tocotrienol 5.6mg
d-delta Tocotrienol 1.4mg

ASCORBYL PALMITATE 250mg (VITAMIN C ESTERFIELD) (2 CAPSULES
Vitamin C (as 250mg of L-ascorbyl Palmitate) 106.2mg

OMEGA 3 FLAX SEED Oil 100mg (1 SOFT GEL)
Flax Seed Oi 1000mg

BORAGE OIL 1000mg (1 SOFT GEL)
Borage Oil (borago officinalis) 1000mg

B-COMPLEX + C (1 CAPLET)
Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate)500mg
Thiamin (Vitamin B1) (thiamine mononitrate) 7.5mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 8.5mg
Niacin (as niacinamide ascorbate) 50mg
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCL)10mg
Folate (folic acid) 400mcg
Vitamin B12 (cyanoccobalamin) 100mcg
Biotin 300mcg