Adding dutasteride

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
So currently I am on 1mg finasteride every day, 1ml of minoxidil a day and 80-90 mg of RU a day. I added RU to my stack about 4 months ago and it's effectiveness has been fairly insignificant as of now.

I just ordered a bunch of dutasteride from inhouse and was wondering, could replacing my daily finasteride dose with a .5 mg dutasteride every Monday and Thursday of a week help in any way? Does anyone use this method with dutasteride?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could try Dutasteride every Monday and Thrusday and see how it goes since the drug has such a long half-life. I do think though it would just be best to take one capsule daily and keep the dosing consistent, that's what I do. Also, if Finasteride is maintaining your nicely without any issues, I don't think there's any need to switch to Dutasteride.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
You could try Dutasteride every Monday and Thrusday and see how it goes since the drug has such a long half-life. I do think though it would just be best to take one capsule daily and keep the dosing consistent, that's what I do. Also, if Finasteride is maintaining your nicely without any issues, I don't think there's any need to switch to Dutasteride.

Finasteride started going to **** for me in November, sudden miniturizing almost all the hair on top of my head. Took action fast and hopped on Ru some months after realizing this. Things haven't been much better so I want to add dutasteride in... But I want to try to avoid the debilitating dutasteride shed

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
I just added dutasteride every sunday a week a go after finasteride/minoxidil not working (completely quit them but considering restarting them soon).Anyone know how long dutasteride takes to have an effect as I am still having the male pattern baldness itch which I didn't have on minoxidil

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
I just added dutasteride every sunday a week a go after finasteride/minoxidil not working (completely quit them but considering restarting them soon).Anyone know how long dutasteride takes to have an effect as I am still having the male pattern baldness itch which I didn't have on minoxidil

You completely quit finasteride because you thought it "wasn't working"? It wasn't because of sides? That doesn't make much sense to me to completely quit finasteride and then go to dutasteride once a week. It's not like finasteride wasn't lowering your dht levels.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna chime in on this since I also want to add dutasteride 1-2 times a week.Should I also take finasteride on the days i take dutasteride ? Since my finasteride (propecia) is genuine from pharmacy and dutasteride is generic from a site i cannot vouch for %100...

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking dutasteride 1-2 times a week is not really any better compared to taking finasteride every day regarding the amount of DHT inhibited. dutasteride should inhibit up to 90% DHT but that is only when you actually take it on a daily basis otherwise the serum concentrations will be lower and thus probably not inhibit that much DHT, and then you fall closer and closer to the 70% inhibition of daily Finasteride, finasteride 5 days + dutasteride 2 days gives you only around 75% DHT inhibition.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking dutasteride 1-2 times a week is not really any better compared to taking finasteride every day regarding the amount of DHT inhibited. dutasteride should inhibit up to 90% DHT but that is only when you actually take it on a daily basis otherwise the serum concentrations will be lower and thus probably not inhibit that much DHT, and then you fall closer and closer to the 70% inhibition of daily Finasteride, finasteride 5 days + dutasteride 2 days gives you only around 75% DHT inhibition.

There have been quite a few accounts of good regrowth from incorporating dutasteride a few times a week on top of finasteride.

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
You completely quit finasteride because you thought it \\"wasn\\\'t working\\"? It wasn\\\'t because of sides? That doesn\\\'t make much sense to me to completely quit finasteride and then go to dutasteride once a week. It\\\'s not like finasteride wasn\\\'t lowering your dht levels.

I ran out of the prescription and didn\'t refill, but I am now looking at buying more finasteride.

AussieM

Reaction score
I've ordered dutasteride and am going to also try taking it once or twice a week with my already daily finasteride. Will let you all know how it goes!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started dutasteride 5 weeks ago, not because finasteride/minoxidil has lost effectiveness, but because I want to get the best possible results and protect my hair from DHT as much as possible, if it regrows a few more hairs per cm2 then that would be a welcome bonus. First week took one dutasteride on Monday, second week Monday and Friday, and then Mon, Wed and Fri, finasteride on other days. Nothing to report yet, no increase in shedding yet thankfully, but no decrease in shedding either and obviously no change in density/thickness at just 5 weeks. Would love to take dutasteride every day, but my doctor will only prescribe.

I wouldn't drop finasteride if you only intend to take dutasteride twice a week.