Added Finasteride To My Routine - What To Expect?

Vocalmajority

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I hopped on finasteride 2 days ago (feeling perfectly fine btw). And before my routine looked like this - I started when I was Norwood 2.5 with good density:
- Minoxidil - 2 times per day (morning/evening)
- Nizoral - once per week
- Dermarolling - 0.5 mm/2 times per week and minoxidil right after (started doing it 1 month ago)
- Biotin and Zinc every morning
- Vitamin A, D, E complex
- Scalp stimulation when taking shower everyday

So basically major update to my routine is finasteride which I hopped on 2 days ago and take 1mg every morning. Now my question is will I encounter shedding? I encountered initial minoxidil shedding which lasted about 2 months. It was quite worrying for me but I got over it and after 3 months of minoxidil I saw first baby hairs which are growing larger as I’m still using minoxidil. Dermarolling is also helping very much. I’m worried if I will encounter finasteride shed because it is mentally taxing and I wouldn’t be happy to go through another shed because I havent even recovered 100% from minoxidil shed yet. Sorry for the wall of text and please help.

AlwaysMedicated

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I hopped on finasteride 2 days ago (feeling perfectly fine btw). And before my routine looked like this - I started when I was Norwood 2.5 with good density:
- Dermarolling - 0.5 mm/2 times per week and minoxidil right after (started doing it 1 month ago)

So basically major update to my routine is finasteride which I hopped on 2 days ago and take 1mg every morning. Now my question is will I encounter shedding? I encountered initial minoxidil shedding which lasted about 2 months. It was quite worrying for me but I got over it and after 3 months of minoxidil I saw first baby hairs which are growing larger as I’m still using minoxidil. Dermarolling is also helping very much. I’m worried if I will encounter finasteride shed because it is mentally taxing and I wouldn’t be happy to go through another shed because I havent even recovered 100% from minoxidil shed yet. Sorry for the wall of text and please help.

You might, you might not. Some people shed, some don't...

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score

You might get a shed! More likely than not you will but it's an indicator that it is working. If your not willing to ride out the sides and give the medication at least a year to work, stop now!

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You might get a shed! More likely than not you will but it's an indicator that it is working. If your not willing to ride out the sides and give the medication at least a year to work, stop now!

When you shed on finasteride do you shed thin short hairs that dht has compromised, or do you shed long thick healthy hairs, or both?

I'm shedding both but apparently at the same rate as before. It's as if nothing's changed. If it keeps up much longer I'll have no frontal forelock left and skip nw4 right into nw5 territory.

Vocalmajority

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you shed on finasteride do you shed thin short hairs that dht has compromised, or do you shed long thick healthy hairs, or both?

I'm shedding both but apparently at the same rate as before. It's as if nothing's changed. If it keeps up much longer I'll have no frontal forelock left and skip nw4 right into nw5 territory.

I’m 3 days in finasteride and when brushing I see that I shed less hair than before. Idk but maybe the minoxidil shedded out all the weak hairs it had to and now finasteride has no hairs which it can make fall out. Other thing is I experienced increased shedding after starting dermarolling - could it be the better minoxidil absorbtion? Still I don’t know. There are too many variables. The fact is I added 2 powerful tools to my regimen: finasteride (3 days ago) and dermarolling (3/4 weeks ago) and I might experience shedding. I guess my best bet is to not overthink it and stick to regimen. I’m already using the most effective ways to fight male pattern baldness and the work is still in progress. It really bring peace to my mind that I’m doing everything I can and I presume it will work out. If not I will just shave it and rock the bald look lol, atleast no one will tell me I haven’t tried.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 3 days in finasteride and when brushing I see that I shed less hair than before. Idk but maybe the minoxidil shedded out all the weak hairs it had to and now finasteride has no hairs which it can make fall out. Other thing is I experienced increased shedding after starting dermarolling - could it be the better minoxidil absorbtion? Still I don’t know. There are too many variables. The fact is I added 2 powerful tools to my regimen: finasteride (3 days ago) and dermarolling (3/4 weeks ago) and I might experience shedding. I guess my best bet is to not overthink it and stick to regimen. I’m already using the most effective ways to fight male pattern baldness and the work is still in progress. It really bring peace to my mind that I’m doing everything I can and I presume it will work out. If not I will just shave it and rock the bald look lol, atleast no one will tell me I haven’t tried.

I have a big, weird shaped noggin. I am skinny and wear glasses too. If I was tall and muscular I'd shave it off right now and get on with life and leave this expense and anxious torture in the rear view mirror.

Baldingbob123456

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone associates balding with increased shedding as bald people shed the same rate as non balding. The difference is that with bald people the shedded hairs dont grow back... Anyways, to answer your question, i have been on fina for about 3 months and i have only noticed slightly watery semen. Its not all the time either, just more often. I have also noticed a little more anxiety, but to be fair ive struggled with that my whole life so chances are it wont happen to you. My drive in life has taken a little bit of a hit too, sex drive and motivation to be specific. However, i can easily overcome those sides. I can still have sex many times a day and still have powerful orgasms. Im just being real with you about my experience. Tbh i wish i never knew about the potential sides because i probably would be saying that my sides are a big ol' fat 0%. I cant get it out of my head that sides can happen so i attribute every symptom to fina, which isnt fair to do. In reality i probably have had no sides besides the watery semen, im just looking for them. Very little sides that are easily ignored is way better than the stress and sadness associated with balding.