Acne of Propecia

Remix

Reaction score
Ok I've been on Propecia for about 5 years I got tired of getting acne, having anxiety, and oily skin which I really never had a probelm before propecia. I wasn't 100% it was the propecia but I quit for a month and felt great clear skin, no anxiety etc but hair started to thin so I jumped back on .5 of propecia and hair was still getting worse so I'm back on 1mg of propecia and the acne is back, fore head is broken out with about 5 pimples :freaked2: sucks since I'm 27 so I guess my question is since it appears that propecia is causing the acne I would think that since its doing harm there, would it really be helping my hair that much? I know my hair got worse when I came off it but could that being the hormones balancing themselves out?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Remix said:
Ok I've been on Propecia for about 5 years I got tired of getting acne, having anxiety, and oily skin which I really never had a probelm before propecia. I wasn't 100% it was the propecia but I quit for a month and felt great clear skin, no anxiety etc but hair started to thin so I jumped back on .5 of propecia and hair was still getting worse so I'm back on 1mg of propecia and the acne is back, fore head is broken out with about 5 pimples :freaked2: sucks since I'm 27 so I guess my question is since it appears that propecia is causing the acne I would think that since its doing harm there, would it really be helping my hair that much? I know my hair got worse when I came off it but could that being the hormones balancing themselves out?

Don't know from hormones - but think about investing in a tube of retin-a cream. Great zit killer.

MrBen

Reaction score
Wash your face every night with Boraxo hand soap. I've used it for years and it does the trick. Buy some neutrogena deep clean astringent also and use it nightly. It takes a couple months of using it but it works. It's not a cure but at least you can deal with it.

Remix

Reaction score
Those are fixes to probelm, what I'm wondering is wouldn't bad skin and thinning hair go hand in hand, like off propecia my skin is fine etc

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MrBen said:
Wash your face every night with Boraxo hand soap. I've used it for years and it does the trick. Buy some neutrogena deep clean astringent also and use it nightly. It takes a couple months of using it but it works. It's not a cure but at least you can deal with it.

won't work for this kind of out break though...it seems like it's androgen related :cry:

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go get Persa Gel neutragena stuff ... it works awesome.. i have the smae problem with pimples and propecia. I also started using Clerasil face wash but i dont know yet if thats doing anything

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
i created a post and poll about this a little while ago

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... highlight=

please ask any further questions you may have, by all means.
if you have any theories of your own, id be glad to hear!

you can see that there's a lot of poeple out there like us.

effective treatments include (the pretty safe but quite awful) benzyl peroxide + antibacterial combo available as quinoderm or others like oxy in the UK.

retin-a is proven to be very effective, however, id use differin (adaplene) which has fewer side effects (though may still cause temp. hair thinning like many retinoids do).

if it still persists then from personal experience, erythromtcin works wonders. you can try other antibiotics like the tetracyclines, but keep minocycline to the last.

Good Luck!