Accutane thoughts?

dustman2

Reaction score
All right, it seems that a lot of people in this forum have at some point taken Accutane. Evidence or no, it may cause hair loss, we are in agreement about this, well most of us. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of "how" Accutane might cause thinning or loss while on it, and even still AFTER. There is crap about Telogen Effluvium, but I find that unlikely, since thinning seems to occur in the "normal" male pattern baldness regions. Does it make follicles more suseptible? Does it F*** up your liver? Is it the vitamin A overdose?
Does anyone in here know why it might do this? If anyone KNEW then maybe an answer or specific treatment could be used.

P.S. What is all this about Accutane + Hair loss + Biotin?

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I took it about eight years ago. I wasn't worried about the side effect of "may cause hair loss". It didn't work for my skin anyways, so I stopped.

Today, after being the only one in my family to take it, I am the only one with male pattern baldness. My two brothers and father still have their thick hair. I am diffuse thinning.

Although, I'm not counting out that I got the gene from my mother's side where my grandfather and uncle had male pattern baldness. Still, the Accutane side effect makes me wonder.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Perhaps there might be a different correlation?... acne, leads to better than average chance of seb derm on the scalp, leading to increased irritation in the hair?

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Could be. I think there could be a dozen different correlations. I just think it's suspicious that of my family, I'm the only one who used Accutane, and I'm the only one with male pattern baldness.