Accutane induced male pattern baldness - please help me ?

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I am in my 20s. I spent from puberty on with basic or mild acne. I assumed through life style, healthy eating, fitness, exercise, I would auto correct it. I was wrong.

I hit late teens when my acne seemed to get worse. In my 20s, adult acne was ****ing terrible, and though not cluttered or full spread, I got cystic or nodules even eating a raw diet. I could eat a high protein diet, low glycemic or gluten free diet. The result was temporary success, clear skin, and then, out of the blue, it would repeat. Cystic acne is the type that lasts weeks, months even at a time, and when it does go away, you are left with post acne inflammation or possibly a scar. Its ****ing horrible. I went and saw a natural path, I tried supplements, I tried routines, new things, and it helped temporary success before, **** genetics kicked in and ****ed me up some more. I tried medications, antibiotics, topical gels all of which did the same, little to nothing or temporarily brought success before the inevitable happened. Fast forward to the present, I got on accutane despite my doctor suggesting my skin was not bad enough for it but, my fear was to prevent acne scars in future as I have a few already. Thank god its not a clutter or face full of them. My biggest fear is being moon face.

Just recently, my cousin informed me, he noticed my beautiful dark thick head of hair has shown signs of thinning, patchy, and despite barbers telling me I will never go bald, here I am ****ting myself that I may lose it. :(

Guys, its been a rough last few years. If the acne hasn't been hard enough on myself concept, the scars, it was over a year and a half ago, I buried my sister and dad after a drunk driving accident. I was depressed before that cause of my skin. I was down and ****ty with those around me cause of how ****ed up my head was with obsessing over my skin. I feel a lot of guilt with them gone cause, I didn't show love, and the appreciation they deserved. It would seem every time I think my life cannot get any worse, it does, and it reveals itself shortly.

As of now, I can see my scalp in places, its patch thick needle like hair so, the slightest **** up haircut shows. I am scared of losing it all now. The plan is to try medication or preferably, dropping accutane as I have now, looking possibly into rogain or something, and maybe returning back to my natural path. I am hoping the side effects will reverse once I get off of it. Judging by the life I have had, the prayers going unanswered, and the circumstances I continue to find myself in, I highly doubt it but, I am hopeful. As of now, if I try hard enough and look, I can see my scalp by the crown and a bit by the side.

I see my dermatologist this week later on so, I am hopeful this will be resolved. If all else fails, I plan to buzz it, get a fade, maybe a short faux hawk or crew cut.

Crew-cut-picture.gif

crew-cut%5B1%5D.jpg

Tips? Advice?

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I am getting biotin in my multi vitamin. Its trace amounts but I hear its good. Hair loss I notice still despite a week off medicine though, its less frequent.

I saw my dermatologist. He said its reversed after I stop unless I have male pattern baldness. It may speed it up. Its likely the possibility.

My plan is seeing a dermatologist regularly if this gets worse, seeing a natural path, and maybe rogain though, I likely will just shave my hair. I prefer hair over none but fading it over just some. I appreciate advice. I will try to work up courage to post pics.

Reaction score
don't lose hope my friend. as far as i know acne does not induce thinning of hair and lasts till middle age. it mostly affects the face but if u have severe acne and that is left undiagnosed u may develop scarring. i believe u started ur treatment at the earliest time possible. be careful while taking accutane as it's got sides

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for a response. I had zero male pattern baldness signs evident until now minus slight receeding hair line. My dermatologist brought it up to a doctor in internal medicine. He warned me of a young man who was thinning prior to accutane and went bald following the meds.

I was on a fairly high dose. If I was bald or it got worse I would shave it off. At that point there is no reason to discontinue the meds. There are some visible effects but most have passed. I hope my hair fixes. I will see my natural path very soon. I plan to do a colon, liver, and full body detoxification or cleanse. I want to center myself.

Anyone with accutane experience preferably or secondary, med use side effects please help me?

I wish a Doctor would check for male pattern baldness genes before prescribing meds out. He is a great Dr so its my fault for taking it. I won't do a comb over if I see my scalp my hair is being
Shaved off. If I can save it please inform me.

Nene

Reaction score
Hey man. Sorry about your father and sister. I took accutane when I was 15 and thats when my male pattern baldness started. I think accutane can trigger male pattern baldness early but I have no proof. It's impossible to know when it would've started if we didn't take accutane. Rogaine really helped me for a few years, you should give it a shot.

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man. Sorry about your father and sister. I took accutane when I was 15 and thats when my male pattern baldness started. I think accutane can trigger male pattern baldness early but I have no proof. It's impossible to know when it would've started if we didn't take accutane. Rogaine really helped me for a few years, you should give it a shot.

It's not been easy. I am trying to coop. I battle depression so, its not easy and now this. I read self help and meditate, pray, and things seem to get worse. I freaked when I noticed and I am just trying to accept it everything. Its all really too much and quite overwhelming.

If get the confidence to post pics I'll share but I may make some people angry. Its not full blown. I am trying to be safe to prevent that. I have biotin in my vitamin but its trace amounts.

I am concerned if I take rogaine, I could worsen side effects. I hear the big 3 are extremely effective but I hear libido and erections can be effected. I don't know what to do?

How should I sleep? Can the way I sleep effect me?