According to Bernstein - If 4-5 Years finasteride Should Double Dosage

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Read blog answers - they seem to promote increasing dosage over time of 3-5 years. I’m at 20 years now usage and slowly continue losing ground heavy crown and diffuse loss (now frontal taking a big hit) even with minoxidil 2x daily and nizoral 3-4x per week. RU was a waste at least for me (1.5 - 2 years 3.5g in minoxidil not much benefit in this vehicle for the cost) And - don’t want dutasteride due to lower ab pains after trying 1 tab a week for at least 6 months and trying adding to minoxidil which goes systemic I know for sure as pains came back.
Comments?

Last edited:

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Read blog answers - they seem to promote increasing dosage over time of 3-5 years. I’m at 20 years now usage and slowly continue losing ground heavy crown and diffuse loss (now frontal taking a big hit) even with minoxidil 2x daily and nizoral 3-4x per week. RU was a waste at least for me (1.5 - 2 years 3.5g in minoxidil not much benefit in this vehicle for the cost) And - don’t want dutasteride due to lower ab pains after trying 1 tab a week for at least 6 months and trying adding to minoxidil which goes systemic I know for sure as pains came back.
Comments?
Maybe try a topical dutasteride solution? And that amount of RU seems fairly low.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would continue RU. And add a topical finasteride or duta as well, since orals dont always get to the tissues and you would like to have a localized effect. Add micro needling and oral castor oil, might as well, it wont hurt. You can try increasing finasteride dosage but it wont do much as it has marginally decreasing returns. The topicals are your best bet before playing with more extreme sh*t.
@Selb if im not mistaken 3.5g of RU in min (which is 60ml) is 5.8% if he used that twice then he was putting 110mg on his head daily. Which is no joke.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would continue RU. And add a topical finasteride or duta as well, since orals dont always get to the tissues and you would like to have a localized effect. Add micro needling and oral castor oil, might as well, it wont hurt. You can try increasing finasteride dosage but it wont do much as it has marginally decreasing returns. The topicals are your best bet before playing with more extreme sh*t.
@Selb if im not mistaken 3.5g of RU in min (which is 60ml) is 5.8% if he used that twice then he was putting 110mg on his head daily. Which is no joke.
Yes correct on the RU. 2X per day different brands not much change at all for almost 2 years of use. Maybe it helped maintain a bit but no regrowth. I got the lower ab pains adding 2 or 3 dutasteride tabs to the 60ml minoxidil do I have to watch the topical also.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you give a run down on how finasteride held up for you in those 20 years? Did you maintain in the beginning? How long did you maintain for? How much have you lost in those 20 years?

There aren’t many 20+ year users on the web. If you could post pics it’d be very helpful for many people.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’ve always had all over heavy diffuse going on. I’m at about 80% loss in density. Crown always getting bad and now wide open lost. finasteride just basically slows down the hair loss. I compare to my older brothers who have lost just about all and they don’t take anything so the finasteride and minoxidil works to slow down - not halt hair loss - at least for me with aggressive hereditary.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve always had all over heavy diffuse going on. I’m at about 80% loss in density. Crown always getting bad and now wide open lost. finasteride just basically slows down the hair loss. I compare to my older brothers who have lost just about all and they don’t take anything so the finasteride and minoxidil works to slow down - not halt hair loss - at least for me with aggressive hereditary.
Is your hair still okay enough? You’re not at the shave it stage?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
No - thin as hell - cover up is the key!
Could you post pictures from when you started versus now? You can cover your face and be unidentifiable. It would be very helpful to see how much it’s progressed while on finasteride.

Like I said, there are VERY few people on the internet that have been on finasteride for 20 years, it’d be great to actually see results

jazz1

Reaction score

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
What was your hair at when it started? Norwood level and diffusing level?

Were you already noticeably balding when you got on finasteride?

thanks for your responses, they’re very helpful

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’ve had diffuse thinning since the 90’s. Was already using minoxidil since about 1985 2% then which appeared to just help maintain. Started finasteride in 1999. Had good maintenance after adding with 5% minoxidil later but was still losing crown mainly and front was taking some hit and diffuse happening more. Had a frontal 300 graft transplant in about 1997 which went behind the hairline to anticipate loss. I’ve become more diffuse with finasteride and crown is basically gone huge area. Added nizoral years ago just makes scalp feel good no regrowth. Tried 1 dutasteride per week still on finasteride did not do much but got pains. Tried adding 2 caps dutasteride to minoxidil still got pains after some months and no real benefit seen. Frontal loss now near the transplant take area. Scalp is heavily diffuse about 80% loss in density. Adding some essential oils to minoxidil now not much effect. Density getting worse so questioning the double dose finasteride idea by Bernstein since way over his 3-5 year limit.

Last edited: