about to start propecia and I have a few questions

nate2004

Reaction score
Ok well Im about to start up using Propecia... I wanted to wait until I was officially out of my teen years to start it and I just turned 20 about 2 weeks ago.

So my questions...

I know that not many people experience side effects but if I do is there like a time frame to where I should expect to notice any of them.

Also Im thinkin about only taking .5 the dose instead of the full dose to see if it works that way. Or should I start at the full dose and if I get sides then taper it down some?

powersam

Reaction score
very sensible start to the whole process bro

i am taking .5mg of finasteride and have been for quite a while now. for me the haircount difference between 1mg and .5mg was statistically insignificant and so i decided to go for the minimum dose. have maintained and now am seeing a small amount of regrowth.

my recommendation though would be to take the FDA approved dose which is 1mg and if you are having side effects after the second month think about lowering the dose or taking it as .5mg in the morning and 5.mg at night.

important thing to remember is that at the start your hormones will be bouncing all over the place and libido will go up and down. you have to wait this out until all settles down, and the libido rollercoaster draws to a halt. after 2-3 months have a think about side effects.

nate2004

Reaction score
PowerSam said:
very sensible start to the whole process bro

i am taking .5mg of finasteride and have been for quite a while now. for me the haircount difference between 1mg and .5mg was statistically insignificant and so i decided to go for the minimum dose. have maintained and now am seeing a small amount of regrowth.

my recommendation though would be to take the FDA approved dose which is 1mg and if you are having side effects after the second month think about lowering the dose or taking it as .5mg in the morning and 5.mg at night.

important thing to remember is that at the start your hormones will be bouncing all over the place and libido will go up and down. you have to wait this out until all settles down, and the libido rollercoaster draws to a halt. after 2-3 months have a think about side effects.

Thanks...

Also I have one more question. You said that sides are noticeable around month 2-3. What if I take a product that prevents gyno starting week 6 and run it 4 weeks as a preventative measure just incase Im one of the few people who get gyno... b/c I really dont want that.

powersam

Reaction score
no i didnt say that side effects will start at the second or third month, what i meant was if you may have libido side effects in this period but most will dissipate after that time. side effects can happen at any time at all really.

i wouldnt even think about taking drugs to combat gyno until you get some evidence that you are developing it.

bubka

Reaction score
less than 3% have sides, and half of them go away after time... I think you should start out at 1mg, starting out at .5mg will just increase the chance of it not working and thus losing more hair. If money is the reason, get Proscar and cut it into 4ths

Or, some after a year or so, when regrowth is maxed, may skip a day now and then...