About To Start 1st Real Treatment. Will My Routine Be Effective?

cdj588

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I have decided the time has come to start some kind of real treatment as I am thinning at the crown. So I bought 5% Rogaine Foam and plan to start when I get back from my ski trip in January. I'd like yalls thoughts on my application routine as I have never used a true treatment in the past.

My plan is to apply 5% foam once a day at night as I read it can be just as effective as twice a day. Currently, I wake up at 5 AM to workout in the morning. I come home to get ready for work around 7 AM, which includes a shower to rinse off and use bar soap on my body. I do not shampoo or condition in the morning. Then I fix my hair with gel or paste of some sort. I get home around 7 PM and around 8 PM I shower to get the hair product out of my hair and use shampoo and conditioner. I intend to apply the Rogaine after I shower on a damp scalp.

My questions:
Is a damp scalp the best surface to apply it on or should I dry my hair then apply it?
Will my morning workout and shower affect the Rogaine application from the night before (approximately 12 hours before)?
Any alternative application methods yall think would be better? I could apply Rogaine in the morning, but I am not sure if the hair gel I use will mess with the application.

Thank you all for your help!

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use the foam because the liquid 5% is not available in my area. Only 2% is.
I rinse the toppik out before bed only using water under the tap. Warm water then a cool rinse.
Apply foam (little dots all over the scalp where I part my hair) rub it in after it dissolves.
Sometimes roll with 0.5mm to get it in there.

When I wake up, add it again to the scalp and style. Then add some Toppik to the crown.

I have been on this regime for about 6 weeks now. The foam really thickens up my hair where it appears that I have no bald spot in the morning.
I add topikk anyways, just incase

Last edited:

cdj588

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

So its okay to apply Rogaine, let it dry, then style your hair with product?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess that would work. Don't rub the product into the scalp though

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I have decided the time has come to start some kind of real treatment as I am thinning at the crown. So I bought 5% Rogaine Foam and plan to start when I get back from my ski trip in January. I'd like yalls thoughts on my application routine as I have never used a true treatment in the past.

My plan is to apply 5% foam once a day at night as I read it can be just as effective as twice a day. Currently, I wake up at 5 AM to workout in the morning. I come home to get ready for work around 7 AM, which includes a shower to rinse off and use bar soap on my body. I do not shampoo or condition in the morning. Then I fix my hair with gel or paste of some sort. I get home around 7 PM and around 8 PM I shower to get the hair product out of my hair and use shampoo and conditioner. I intend to apply the Rogaine after I shower on a damp scalp.

My questions:
Is a damp scalp the best surface to apply it on or should I dry my hair then apply it?
Will my morning workout and shower affect the Rogaine application from the night before (approximately 12 hours before)?
Any alternative application methods yall think would be better? I could apply Rogaine in the morning, but I am not sure if the hair gel I use will mess with the application.

Thank you all for your help!
12 hours is plenty for minoxidil to be absorbed. 4 hours is usually good for 75% absorption. It wouldn't hurt to use neutrogena t gel or another shampoo with salicylic acid to clean the scalp and make sure there's no build up. Might help with absorbtion. I'm a big believer in nizoral also if your hair and scalp can tolerate it. I use it every day and my hair looks better than ever, but my scalp and hair are not irritated by it.