about to make appt. to see Dr. Jeffrey Epstein in FL

helpme2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to make an appt to see this Dr.

I had a few questions,

1. What is the normal amount of grafts to transplant for the first time? Max or Min?

2. What are the usual costs? how much would it cost to make an area (frontal area) look full? Or is there a per graft cost?

4. After the hair transplant, is there a mini bald spot where the donor hair came from?

5. What are our thoughts on Dr Jeffrey Epstein?

6. Anyone every get laser surgery to remove hair on their head?

I am going to see how much it costs and what he can do, If it costs a crazy amount (near 20K etc..) to restore my hair to almost full i will not do it...

I gave my self two options, one is doing the hair transplant, most likely two grafts/phases, one for the 1st half of the top portion, and another for the 2nd half.

Other option is just shaving my head bald (with a razor), doing the bald look, and then just getting laser surgery to remove every hair on my head...Its really depressing, I dont want to keep on going back to do hair transplant's, i want to do 1 or 2 and be done (just wana keep hair on top for atleast 10-15 years)....

Please share your thoughts.

(I have been on propecia for 1 yr (sep, minor side effects did not go away), nothing major is happening, my hairloss is getting bad, I can see my scalp plain as day now, and my hair line is receding faster, especially around the temples, I tried Rogaine for 3 weeks but gave up, too tiring)

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
You have so many good questions that have very complex answers. I can tell you this... I wish you had not put the amount of money you want to spend on your transplant on the web... You will now be swarmed with PM's and/or emails stating that they can help you or they want your business. (BTW don't trust anyone that does this.)

Now I have spoken via e-mail to Dr. Epstein. He is a very nice guy. He was one of my choices to work for a while back. Other doctors has said he is a good guy.

Have you thought about going to several consultations in FL. There are actually several well know doctors. Not to sway you from Epstein. It just looks like you need a little more education before seeking your transplant. More research if you will.

G

helpme2,

Your first three questions can only be answered by you doing enough research before you make any decisions. Those areas vary between patients and also how much future hairloss is in your cards.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN for you is the latter comments you made regarding being on Propecia for 1 year with no results and the fact you are continuing to lose more hair, and at a rapid pace. :shock:

LISTEN TO ME. If you start with surgery now, you will end up shocking out the weak hair that you see right now. Surgery will undoubtedly advance your hairloss, something you won't want to experience. Adequate and enough research would have informed you of that and why I am suggesting that you forget about surgery for now and get back to finding out the best and worst case scenarios for your diffused loss.

And what about family history on both sides? How old are you and what Norwood class are you presently in? The big critical question is, "What is the most advanced Norwood class in your family history?" Any class six or seven's?

If yes, and the meds are not working, the last thing you want to be doing is a hair transplant, because you will be headed for disaster if you follow though with it. Also consider giving dutasteride a try because it inhibits both Type I & II DHT. Propecia (finasteride) only inhibits Type I.

I am always amazed at how quick some will reply to a thread giving Doctor recommendations when in all likelihood, you are not a probable candidate for surgery. The potential for you to have long term success is not good. I'm talkiing straight with you helpme2, not trying to offend you.

It's just that I would hate to see you or any patient spend thousands of your hard earned dollars only to have your existing weak hair permanently shocked out, only to suddenly find yourself in an advanced stage of hairloss without enough donor to cover it. I see this happen all too often. :freaked:

Did any of these docs ask if the meds are working or not working, did they ask about the extent of male pattern baldness in your family history? Do they know you have diffused loss yet are still willing to do a big session on you and run the risk of shock?!? :freaked2:

helpme2

Reaction score
gill,

you provide some true valid pts...
I def do not want to jump in this right away, I do plan on researching fully. As far as doctors, I do plan on seeing more than one. (maybe 5 max).

I thank you and hairtech for being straight forward with me. This advice is well taken. When my father was my age, he never had serious hair loss, when he was 40+ then he started to loose it. My brother has hair loss also, he is 3 yrs older than me but he never took propecia.

dutasteride interests me, I will have to look into that.

My final resort to my hair loss problem would be just to shave my head bald (and possibly get laser hair removal, hate shaving etc..), just a thought...I would rather have no hair at all, than have some :*[ ..

Thanks guys will keep ya posted, any more comments well appreciated.

helpme2

Reaction score
Some more questions,

Can you choose the donor area?
I was thinking near my lower neck (That way i can take the whole line of hair, at the lowest point of my hair near my neck etc..)..

Also how many hairs are in a graft?

Also you know of anyone who has gotten laser hair removal surgery on their head?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Be wary of neck hair or hair of the lower nape. In some folks, not all folks but in some, and in advanced age, men tend to lose some of that hair. In others words we have seen male pattern baldness in take the hairs of the lower neck or nape area. I have seen mis usage of those hairs which is not right. IMO.

2. A single graft typically can contain 1,2,3,4,5 and even 6 hairs.

3. Yes I have seen attempts to remove plug work with laser usage. It somewhat works but takes several passes which becomes expensive and and also is not a guarantee that it does not work.

helpme2

Reaction score
Hairtech,

you are helpful, i was wondering why you knew so much, but then I saw your bottom sig...Are you practicing now or still studying?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
I work with one doctor now. I have worked with several of the top doctors in hair transplant so I can give you information that I have learned from them. FUE/Repair/strip.

As far as studying... well i do plan on going back... I have time now that I work for a stable physician that works normal hours. I plan on going back soon.

helpme2

Reaction score
dutasteride - I did some research, its not intended for hair treatment, but it does treat hair correct? How many people use this? I dont want to have adverse effects on my body.

Also I just ordered another btl of ProPecia. Is there anyone who take dutasteride and Propecia at the same time?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
This would not be advisable. Dutasteride works on two receptors to block DHT. Propecia works on one. Propecia is FDA approved as a hairloss therapy. Dutasteride is not although many people use it for hairloss.

It is not advisable to use both either. Most physicians say to start with propecia... and stick sith for at least 6 months. There are more reports of decreased libido in dutasteride and way LESS libido issues with propecia. Talk it over with your doctor before doing anything rash ok?

G

Remember, dutasteride is a prostrate drug. That's what it's approved for by the FDA. The same is true for Proscar, a prostrate drug. Primarily, it helps to reduce the swelling of the prostrate.

But many guys like myself, cut Proscar (5mg) into four pieces and take 1/4 tablet per day. Both Proscar and Propecia contain the identical active ingredient which is in fact finasteride. Many years ago, it was discovered that male patients taking Proscar did not lose their hair at such a rapid pace anymore and some even regrew some hair. So Merck started clinical trials bringing the dosage down to 1 mg per tablet per day. Henceforth, Propecia was born and the FDA approved it for treating male pattern baldness>

Proscar is 5 mg per tablet and when cut 4 ways, brings the daily dosage more in line with what is really needed to effectively inhibit DHT. I encourage guys to try Propecia for a solid year before one can fairly evaluate its efficiency. Then if there is no resolve, see your Doctor about dutasteride, which I agree does have more potential for side-effects. I do know a fair number of guys taking Avodart without any noticable side-effects.