About to give up with hair systems...any advice?

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How about you stop using your hair system and start using hair fibers. People will think you got a shorter haircut. WIll that work for you ?

It really depends how much "peach fuzz" or hair he has under the system and it's likely he shaved that to make the system attach better. I used fibers for literally close to 20 years because I had just enough of that on my Norwood 5-6 scalp to make it look alright if I kept my side bio hair buzzed. I also used a lot of Rogaine which may have helped kept that. But I've been wearing for a year now and obviously don't use the minoxidil anymore and when I go every 2-4 weeks to the salon for reattach, I've noticed the last few months none of that "fuzzy hair" is there anymore (not sure if due to the pressure of the unit always on top of it or an effect of the lack of using Rogaine anymore).

So that may not work for him as an option.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Woooooww. Thought it would be a total turn off to women because wearing a piece is a sign of insecurity, and women hate insecure men.

I have found and heard that to be more true about younger women. With middle aged and older women, more often it comes out as a positive in the sense of that they like that their guy (or just "a guy") is doing as much work to look their best as they themselves are. YMMV....

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have found and heard that to be more true about younger women. With middle aged and older women, more often it comes out as a positive in the sense of that they like that their guy (or just "a guy") is doing as much work to look their best as they themselves are. YMMV....
Actually, one of the women was 21 at the time. Another was 28. A few were in their 30’s and 40’s. I have gotten pretty open about it in the last few years. I mean, if the woman compliments the hair, I basically say, “thanks, this man-weave isn’t cheap.” I don’t make it some big reveal. I guess that’s why even the younger women were fine with it. However, I do know women (all ages) who are too insecure (or just love real hair too much) to date a guy with a piece/rug/toupee/etc. it’s all good. I dated a woman who wore a wig, back in my 20’s, but I’m sure a bunch of guys would “wig out” over that. To each is own. Ain’t no shame.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
It really depends how much "peach fuzz" or hair he has under the system and it's likely he shaved that to make the system attach better. I used fibers for literally close to 20 years because I had just enough of that on my Norwood 5-6 scalp to make it look alright if I kept my side bio hair buzzed. I also used a lot of Rogaine which may have helped kept that. But I've been wearing for a year now and obviously don't use the minoxidil anymore and when I go every 2-4 weeks to the salon for reattach, I've noticed the last few months none of that "fuzzy hair" is there anymore (not sure if due to the pressure of the unit always on top of it or an effect of the lack of using Rogaine anymore).

So that may not work for him as an option.
with rogaine and hair fibers what kind of hairstyle were you able to achieve. I mean from Norwwod 5 you came down to which norwood with fibers ?

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With longer hair, I was able to make toppik look amazing with a Norwood 4. Once I hit a 5, I knew I would have to either shave my head or find an alternative. I can’t imagine how one can make it work beyond that.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
with rogaine and hair fibers what kind of hairstyle were you able to achieve. I mean from Norwwod 5 you came down to which norwood with fibers ?

I would say a 2-3, I had it a little receded on the sides where I had a bit of an "M" shape as it only worked where I had these fuzzy little hairs. Also had to keep the sides a bit short as all those lucky rogaine hairs on my "bald" area were basically about 1/4"

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say a 2-3, I had it a little receded on the sides where I had a bit of an "M" shape as it only worked where I had these fuzzy little hairs. Also had to keep the sides a bit short as all those lucky rogaine hairs on my "bald" area were basically about 1/4"
Just one question bro.. If some girl accidently touches your head with hair fibers, will hair fibers come on her hand ?

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just one question bro.. If some girl accidently touches your head with hair fibers, will hair fibers come on her hand ?
I would imagine so. I noticed it flaking off towards the end of my toppik run. I only recommend toppik to people with a decent amount of hair to work with. If you have a sufficient amount, with the right blending, it won’t leave any residue.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Unfortunately, yes it will. And don't even think of dunking your head in water. And for the most part heavy rain will leave open spots in your head that look weird (I always had an umbrella handy). And finally, accidentally bumping your head pretty much does the same thing. It's why I finally gave it up when I had the money to do something better.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes it will. And don't even think of dunking your head in water. And for the most part heavy rain will leave open spots in your head that look weird (I always had an umbrella handy). And finally, accidentally bumping your head pretty much does the same thing. It's why I finally gave it up when I had the money to do something better.
do something better as in hair system or transplant right ?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, one of the women was 21 at the time. Another was 28. A few were in their 30’s and 40’s. I have gotten pretty open about it in the last few years. I mean, if the woman compliments the hair, I basically say, “thanks, this man-weave isn’t cheap.” I don’t make it some big reveal. I guess that’s why even the younger women were fine with it. However, I do know women (all ages) who are too insecure (or just love real hair too much) to date a guy with a piece/rug/toupee/etc. it’s all good. I dated a woman who wore a wig, back in my 20’s, but I’m sure a bunch of guys would “wig out” over that. To each is own. Ain’t no shame.
It's good to hear real life experiences like this.

Hair is a huge psychological challenge for most guys and it shows from the comments on these forums. The more we can share experiences, the better for everyone.

My wife always encouraged me to get something done, whether a hair transplant or a system. I was using fibres for years before I eventually made the jump, and now I am very comfortable wearing a system - well, 90% of the time anyway! There's always a moment sometimes when I get anxious or feel that people are looking... but so be it... it is what it is.

It'll never be perfect, because it's a prosthetic and isn't real. So I can't let other girls run their hands through my hair because they might feel the edge. But it's a minor inconvenience compared to the joy I get out of having hair again.

ChickenStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hair is a huge psychological challenge for most guys and it shows from the comments on these forums. The more we can share experiences, the better for everyone.

My wife always encouraged me to get something done, whether a hair transplant or a system. I was using fibres for years before I eventually made the jump, and now I am very comfortable wearing a system - well, 90% of the time anyway! There's always a moment sometimes when I get anxious or feel that people are looking... but so be it... it is what it is.

It'll never be perfect, because it's a prosthetic and isn't real. So I can't let other girls run their hands through my hair because they might feel the edge. But it's a minor inconvenience compared to the joy I get out of having hair again.
Swiss lace or UTS would be undetectable to feel.

Last edited:

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sounds like me, LOL. Next poster is right about UTS, though I've noticed if I'm close to my next reattachment appointment (I usually go every 2-4 weeks depending on my schedule) I can still start to feel the edge, but YMMV.