About to begin Finasteride treatment - LOTS of Pics and Baseline (M/23)

Kalash

Reaction score
Intro

Hey guys,

I've been worried about a receding hairline for a while, ever since I noticed some crown recession a bit more than a year ago. Since then I've been pretty good about taking regular-ish photos. A month ago, I realized that something had clicked in my body: my moustache went from pretty crappy and blonde, to much thicker and fuller; my arm hair began to darker and extend into places it had never been; and my hairline seemed to be quickly regressing. I told my Mom and she said that she didn't want to point it out, but had noticed some recession.

Long story short, I went to the doctor (in Canada) and was prescribed Proscar after doing a blood test. The blood test was good (aside from a slight deficiency in B12) and I grabbed 100 pills (5mg each) which is enough for 400 days at 1.25mg a day. This cost $65, which is amazingly cheap.

Aside: sides

So I've actually "had" ED before: it was all mental (turns out that I really don't enjoy one-night stands) but it ****ed me up for a few months and I was obsessed that I had low test levels. Eventually I overcame it mentally (you're gonna worry regardless, but now I just try my best to focus on the girl and act like an animal and it works out). The point being, is that I think mentally worrying about erections and the like is much more powerful than the potential physiological symptoms - your mind is The Almighty when it comes to being turned-on, and I'm well aware that most symptoms will be mental (hence, I've beaten them before).

I'm at a pretty low BF (well, for me), so I'm less worried about Gynecomastia.

The Pics (smaller set first, larger set second for those who can't view big photos)

P2jecqx.jpg

Summer 2013

LYEc7Hp.jpg

hSu3x1g.jpg

VSi4l6X.jpg

GAW0rWY.jpg

8K0ZmzM.jpg

Summer 2014

rTBmz3q.jpg

7FBeDA4.jpg

AEf4TSo.jpg

izSfL0a.jpg

Summer 2015

v3Jkxg0.jpg

W8LD0aB.jpg

Now (Summer 2016)

CFcZryd.jpg

axKKxMh.jpg

L4X8rYW.jpg

dVG7CyA.jpg

oor9QOY.jpg

zbTaEDS.jpg

Crown

2 years ago (2014)

udHvivC.jpg

4jDn2U0.jpg

Now (summer 2016)

1PhTlD6.jpg

6aJO169.jpg

Pre-Treatment

So I know that I'm not NW4 or something, but if you had the patience to look through the pics it looks to me like my temples have receded noticeably, and the sides of my hair are thinning, while my vertex seems to be thinning too. The biggest regret I've heard among people that took finasteride was that they started too late, so I'm really hoping to nip it in the bud. I will update probably on a three-month/year basis, because I'm bad at that stuff.

Last edited:

daplo collins

Reaction score
I think your delusional your hair looks fine to me, I'm not expert though so I can't be 100 percent sure.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
From these pics it doesn't seem like you have male pattern baldness, although you are receding.

But you are receding to a mature Norwood-2. It could stop here, or it could keep going. The fact that you're only 23 may suggest it could get worse. That's around the time it hit me too. Keep an eye on it, especially the density on your crown. Remember to research on finasteride before taking the plunge. it has worked wonders for some and also caused damage to others.

g.i joey

Reaction score
dude your hairline is receding and the hairs around your hairline are miniaturizing, i think some members need glasses, not only cause they cant see, but cause it helps frame the face ;)

Kalash

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about taking it, but the sides will go away worst case and the alternative is even scarier. I'm gonna stay far, far away from these or any forums regarding hair loss for a few months just to make as little a deal about it as possible, and to prevent obsessing. I will update later.

I'm also going to write down a list of my current "symptoms", i.e. how I'm feeling in general, libido-wise and other, to serve as an emotional baseline against symptoms.

Thanks again.