About time

JW

Reaction score
Before going for a hair transplant, you should try Propecia for one year. From your photos, you seem like a perfect candidate for Propecia. You still have hair and Propecia works to increase the diameter of your hair. I am almost twice your age. I was a Norwood 5-6. I started Propecia a year ago and I have grown all of my hair back on the crown and on top. I am still very thin in front but I have gotten remarkable results on my top and crown. I wish I would have started taking Propecia years ago.

thiningattop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Sadhairloss,

Im my opinion, i think 23 is too young to get a hair transplant. Im 23 years old too ... and not far behind you in my hair loss.

It may look good for a few years, but hair loss will continue around the areas where you had the hair transplant, and then it'll look much worse. And with a scar on the back of your head, shaving your head may not be an option.

At the moment, i buzz cut my hair to either a #1 or #2.

Besides, you have a dark complextion ... so i were you, id just shave your head. It looks more athletic. If i was darker skinned, id just bust out the razor!!!

TRUST ME!!! SHAVE YOUR HEAD!!

...... and if you dont like it, let it grow back for a month or two, and then go ahead with your hair transplant.

G

Definitely consider getting on the hairloss meds ASAP! Even if you do end up getting a hair transplant in the frontal area, try to save as much of your natural hair as you possibly can. You have LOTS of natural hair that could be shocked out from a hair transplant right now. Try to stabilize the loss first, that's the best recommendation you can receive right now.

JW

Reaction score
Sadhairloss:

It took about a year for the hair on top and on my crown to thicken and fill-in my large bald spot. I also used an electric scalp massager on my head for 10 minutes a day for the past year. Many people dismiss any connection between increasing blood flow to the scalp and thicker, healthier hair. However, the combination of Propecia and scalp massage worked wonders for me. I still am very thin and sparse in the front. However, I think that you are crazy if you don't start with Propecia. Dr. Bernstein tells the story that many young people come to see him for a hair transplant. He tells them to take Propecia for a year. After a year, they have re-grown so much hair that they don't need a transplant.