About Minoxidil

Metzler

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently noticed that I'm experiencing hair loss (norwood 2, always had a high hairline though), and I bought some 2% Minoxidil. I figure I'll try this for a year, and then decide at thet point whether to add the pill. Do you guys think that I just start taking the Minoxidil 5% immediatly or should I try to 2% for a while.
thanks!

stevieb

Reaction score
if your going to use minoxidil and your going to be consistent with your applications, then i would use 5%!!!!

no sense in using the "weaker" version!!!!

good luck!!!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
2% and 5% solutions of minoxidil are essentially the same thing. If you use 2 1/2 mL of the 2%, you'll probably get at least as much benefit as you do with 1 mL of the 5%, because the minoxidil content is the same. It may possibly even be a bit MORE effective, since there would be a higher alcohol content, with a bit better penetration.

Bryan

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Bryan

I had never heard of what you are suggesting. Very interesting. Could you please state your source? Is that proven from a study, or is it just a matter of a mathematical equation using the 2% and 5% as a base?

Thanks.

stevieb

Reaction score
very interesting indeed bryan but why would anyone want close to 3 mL of minoxidil on their head?!?!

best bet would be 5%, in my opinion!!!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stevieb said:
very interesting indeed bryan but why would anyone want close to 3 mL of minoxidil on their head?!?!

Oh, I've definitely seen some guys complain about how 1 mL wasn't enough for full coverage on their scalps, and they wanted to know if it was ok to use more! :wink:

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
nooc said:
Hi Bryan

I had never heard of what you are suggesting. Very interesting. Could you please state your source? Is that proven from a study, or is it just a matter of a mathematical equation using the 2% and 5% as a base?

I should have added a little more emphasis that what I said was my own personal opinion.

There's no specific study backing-up what I said, but I think it's just common sense. I _can_ show you an early topical minoxidil study that tested the standard 2% solution, and it was done by actual Upjohn researchers! They made what to me was a profound statement near the end in the "Discussion" section: they said that after you apply that 2% solution and the alcohol dries and/or evaporates after a bit, you are probably just left with a saturated solution of minoxidil in propylene glycol! Well gee whiz, the same thing is obviously going to happen with a 5% solution, too! :D That's why I don't think it makes much difference which one you apply, as long as you get the same amount of minoxidil on your scalp.

Furthermore, there are separate in vitro studies (you can read them right here on this site) which found that the best penetration of minoxidil through mouse skin was obtained using a 90% alcohol/10% propylene glycol vehicle. Less alcohol and more propylene glycol didn't penetrate as well. Since the old 2% vehicle was closer to that specification than the modern 5% vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised at all if 2 1/2 mL of the old 2% solution _might_ be even a bit more effective than 1 mL of the modern 5% solution, because it has more alcohol and therefore possibly a little better penetration.

Bryan

The Gardener

Reaction score
Interesting point, Bryan. I have to agree that a lower PPG vehicle is easier to apply to the scalp in quantity. The downside is that you will go through your bottles twice as quickly, which might become an economic issue over time.