A word of warning for those considering a treatment break.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
I went on an intense 3 weeks of traveling. Taking Minoxidil and finasteride (non prescription) on the planes/trains/borders was a bit of a concern to me, as was carrying anymore than necessary in my
already heavy/packed backpack. I accepted that 3 weeks would make minimal difference to my hair, maybe a light shed. I was wrong. The first 7 days were fine, I didn't notice anymore than normal
shedding, and no itchiness or anything, but I was not paying close attention. Day 8-9 I had what seemed to appear out of nowhere sudden and intense itching in the male pattern baldness zones. I went and showered
and to my shock I shed more hair than I ever have done in one go, approx 300 hairs. This went on for the next 2 weeks or so and by the time I was back my hairline was noticeably thinner. I quickly
jumped on a mega dose of Min (4ml a day, usual 2ml, 5%) plus back to 1.25mg finasteride. Nothing slowed for about 10 days. 40 days later I am still seeing the damage caused by this, but it seems hairs
that were lost are starting to regrow on the hairline again. I am someone who has had great regrowth with this combo after a year, but it seems I have put myself back to a pre medication state
and now have to spend another year fighting for the same results I had before this incident. :hmmm::laugh::fun:

jd_uk

Reaction score
I went on an intense 3 weeks of traveling. Taking Minoxidil and finasteride (non prescription) on the planes/trains/borders was a bit of a concern to me, as was carrying anymore than necessary in my
already heavy/packed backpack. I accepted that 3 weeks would make minimal difference to my hair, maybe a light shed. I was wrong. The first 7 days were fine, I didn't notice anymore than normal
shedding, and no itchiness or anything, but I was not paying close attention. Day 8-9 I had what seemed to appear out of nowhere sudden and intense itching in the male pattern baldness zones. I went and showered
and to my shock I shed more hair than I ever have done in one go, approx 300 hairs. This went on for the next 2 weeks or so and by the time I was back my hairline was noticeably thinner. I quickly
jumped on a mega dose of Min (4ml a day, usual 2ml, 5%) plus back to 1.25mg finasteride. Nothing slowed for about 10 days. 40 days later I am still seeing the damage caused by this, but it seems hairs
that were lost are starting to regrow on the hairline again. I am someone who has had great regrowth with this combo after a year, but it seems I have put myself back to a pre medication state
and now have to spend another year fighting for the same results I had before this incident. :hmmm::laugh::fun:

Are you sure you're not paying too much attention to it? They say that itching isn't associated with male pattern baldness. Also, how do you see how many hairs have been shed?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not paying too much attention to it? They say that itching isn't associated with male pattern baldness. Also, how do you see how many hairs have been shed?

Vigorously rub your hair over something white, like the shower floor or even a piece of paper.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Who says that?

Hair loss doctors... e.g doctor rassman on balding blog.

- - - Updated - - -

Vigorously rub your hair over something white, like the shower floor or even a piece of paper.

I used to do that but then i thought i'm probably obsessing about it too much. The longer you rub then the more hair you would get coming out presumably too.

dethlol

Reaction score

It definitely correlates in my experience. What clinical evidence do those so-called "experts" have backing up their claims that itching has nothing to do with shedding?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Itching that is associated with chronic inflammation,
can't be much good for hair..,long term anyway. :sun:

g.i joey

Reaction score
Yup today is day 7 of my finasteride break and I def am getting that itch back so I just popped a half to be sure. The hairs you lost will grow back though, maybe weaker but if u get back on treatment you will reinforce them again

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss doctors... e.g doctor rassman on balding blog.

That website is a joke. The guy is utterly clueless.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I would really have liked to see some pictures.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm guessing, it depends on how aggressive your androgen receptors are at your current time in life and also how much your DHT levels try to come back/stabilise at once you don't take the pill.

I mean some people on here say that they took a break and after 6 months hair started thinning again others say it took 12 moths plus for their balding process to kick back in.

I guess like all things hair loss related, you ever know what will happen in your specific situation until you try.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Tbh I feel I'm a little more aggressive when I'm not on finasteride but I'm too hyper. Now that I'm 6 days back on I can't really say I feel much different. I have a very interactive class on Tuesday and Thursday so I try to skip my dose on Monday and Wednesday and I feel it helps... could be psychological but it works for me.