A Word Of Hope For All People Being Scared

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I havn't been on these forums for quite some time now. But I think it is worth a post.
Sorry if it is a bit long but 13 years need a few lines..

I started losing my hair when I was less than 20, I was in my first years of universities.
And long story short, today at 33 (I can't believe 13 years have passed I still have more hair than before)
I think most of the post here are always very short-term and I therefore thought I should give my experience, my feedback and my advises to all the people suffering from hairloss.

So it started before my 20, my dad is almost bald and many have it in my family. I always had thin hair when I was young. Around 20 the process started (it probably started even before when my puberty ended). This was a HUGE stress for me, i became depressed because of that. I failed a year university…
HOPEFULLY, I quickly met a doctor who prescribed me directly Finasteride and Minoxidil. It is now very far away but I remember that the improvement was not super quick, but one year later my hair improved so much they started to become thick & curly. Believe it or not.

FIRST advise. Stick to your treatment give it two years and don't give up even if you shed a lot. I remember I had a period of massive shedding at the beginning but things improved. And I have to say during all this 13 years i suffered from periods (I put a "s" yes) where I was shedding a lot. But in the overall I would never have the hair I have today without the treatment.

Nevertheless during this time my hairline went back a little bit. I had a very small FUE when I was 23 and another bigger one when I was 30. When I was 23/24 I switched to dutasteride. During all these years I was always conscious and thankful I had this treatment but I was also scared it would stop working.
I was always analyzing and counting my hair when I was shedding a lot… It was always a stress, I spent many time on this forum during my shedding periods, I tried many other topicals but globally I would say….

SECOND advise. Stick to the big 3. I think replacing finasteride by dutasteride is a good idea if you don't have sides. (Except if something new has come up on the market, I am not aware off) But i have the feeling all the other stuff like spironolactone cream, ect where a bit a loss of time for me. You also need a regimen where you don't need 10 products sot it is possible on a daily basis.

Since two years I have added oral minoxidil 5mg, I don't know if it is because of that but it seems the last year I am losing my hair very few. But a doctor said me that sometimes the loss can be by "wave".
I am also using minoxidil 15% one time a day. It is often very hard to evaluate what is working well or not especially when we use different products. I have no solutions for that

BUT REMEMBER. Everyone is different, some will react very positively, some less. But to be honest (and studies prove it) if you start with minoxidil & finasteride you have very high chance to improve! And you will certainly keep most of your hair capital for many years, I am the living proof and I am speaking from 13 years of finasteride & dutasteride use. I have also three good friends who are a bit older who take finasteride and they all stopped or at least reduced very well the hairloss. As explained we are all different but I am sure we can all benefit from this treatment. Mine started when I was still young and I am so happy from the treatment and from my FUE, my life would not have been the same without this.

I won't post any picture but you can check my history to see that I am not a new profile trying to sell something.

GOODLUCK ALL