A woman's perspective on men with hair loss

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Has this been posted here yet? If not here you go (btw lol at the disclaimer at the end about her being 40):-

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip228.htm

Balding Men & The Women Who Love Them
by

Jane L. Bullock
Revised 10/03/05

All images & text in this article are strictly copyrighted and owned exclusively by HairBoutique.com & may not be copied, reproduced, or posted anywhere without the prior express written permission of HairBoutique.com. Please honor our copyrights.

Introduction
Dear men who have lost or may be losing your hair, this article is for you. If you think that your lack of hair is making you less desirable, please think again.

(Image of Bruce Willis & Brooke Burke - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

Over the years I have had the same conversation with many other women about bald or balding men. Our conclusion: your hair does not define you.

My own survey, conducted over a five-year period with women ranging in ages from 17 to 75, yields some startling results.

Here, in order, are some of the attributes we find attractive in men:

Sense of humor
Personality
Acceptance of self
Great eyes
Good self-esteem
Love to dance and don't worry about how they look doing it
Affectionate
Will paint your toenails
Don't get freaked out over little things
Like to cook
Keep themselves healthy
Aren't afraid to pick up a baby
Cleanliness
Like pets
Remember special dates
Good manners
Mentally stable
Financially stable
Hair
What kind of car they drive
(Image of Woody Harrelson - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

(Men, please note where HAIR is on the list.)

Here's another list for you--these are famous men who are bald or balding (I personally find them irresistible):

Famous Balding (or balding Men) Greatest Attributes (per Jane)
Patrick Stewart Mellifluous speaking voice
Sean Connery Sexy accent
Avery Brooks Charm
Jimmy Buffet Music, personality
James Taylor Voice, smile
Montel Williams Great body
Anthony Edwards Cute face
Ed Harris Sex appeal
John Lithgow Funny, tall and handsome
Hector Elizondro Take-charge attitude
Kelsey Grammer Comedic timing

Some of the best-looking men I know are those who are completely at home with themselves--their bodies, their personalities, and their hair.

(Image of Anthony Edwards - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

Their own ease makes me comfortable, and they don't waste time criticizing themselves or others.

No one likes to feel they are not as attractive as they could be--that's why the beauty business is as successful as it is.

I work with a man in his forties who is balding. I've seen pictures of him when he was younger, with beautiful thick, long hair. He claims he will either get a hair transplant or just shave his head. (By the way, who doesn't look in the mirror and see their own youthful image; unlined, fit, and with a full head of hair?)

(Image of Montel Williams - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

But since I did not know him back then, I see a sweet, funny, attractive man with elfish eyes who has a bald spot in an otherwise good head of hair.

I have another friend who has lost most of his hair, but he is very good-looking and has wonderful green eyes. His wife says she married him for (among other things) his face. He is caring, kind, affectionate, and has a riotous sense of humor.

One of the most handsome man I ever saw in my life worked with me in a large computer company. We were both writers, and we saw each other often in projects in which we were both involved. We also worked out in the company gym three times a week, so we saw each other in less than ideal conditions.

(Image of Kelsey Grammer - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

He was funny, personable, gracious, intelligent, and was in great physical shape. It wasn't until I was getting ready to leave the company that I noticed his hair was thinning! It didn't bother him, and I knew him for months before I even noticed.

I hate to think of all the fantastic men out there who, for the lack of some hair, think they are not attractive. Forget about hair for a moment--how much else do you have to offer?

(Image of Ed Harris & Amy Madigan - DailyCeleb.com - all rights reserved).

I was married for 10 years and recently divorced. Now that I'm up to dating again, believe me--men with good hair is not my highest priority!

If you feel you must get hair transplants, that's certainly your business. But if you think that no women are looking your way before you do, think again. Often it is the things you take for granted about yourself that others find most attractive in you.

Whenever I hear a man making self-deprecating jokes about his own baldness, I feel sad that it bothers him that much. I want to throw my arms around him and say, "Please don't run yourself down! It isn't your hair that makes you attractive, it's who you are!" (Bear in mind that I am 40-something, so my values are different than a younger woman's.)

(Alan Dale of Fox/TV's The OC - Dailyceleb.com - all rights reserved).

I'm sure that you don't like to hear women run on and on about how fat/thin/lumpy/bumpy/frumpy/dumpy, and so on we feel we are. I've said it before, and I'll go on saying it:

Attitude is EVERYTHING!

Men, stop counting hairs. We're out there, watching you, checking you out--and trust me, we don't just look at your head!

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
OK that is a nice read. I think the hardest thing about hairloss is accepting it and not letting it bother you. Personally I still have some hope that my situation will improve and am still able to hide my loss most of the time. Unfortunatley this attitude means that I have yet to accept it. As hard as it has been for me over the past 5 months I think I am becoming a better man in more ways than one.

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
Its all good and well but baldness and recession makes one look a lot older than he actually is -It can add 10 years. Thats what is so depressing for men with hair loss. But there are alot of men who just come to accept it.

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
Compare Bruce Willis from Die Hard and him now. He looks a lot uglier for sure. He didn't have perfect hair in Die hard to start with anyway, but still looks a lot better. he has lots of wealth and prestige so women don't care whether he is bald or not. If he was just a regular guy, I am sure he wouldn't be attractive to women.

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
This chick is twice my age. Notice Patrick Stewart and Sean Connery are at the top of her list. If I were her age and started losing my hair I'm sure it wouldn't bother me nearly as much either. But when you are noticeably losing your hair in your late teens and early twenties, its much harder to deal with because it makes me feel so much older when all your friends have brad pitt's hairline. Guess it's comforting to know that I can score with my mom's friends.

Redbone

Reaction score
This is like putting a band aid on a hatchet wound.

Bald Celebrities might get laid because of wealth and prestige but average bald guys will most likely finish second to a guy with thick locks. This celebrity crap has been going on for ever with qoutes like " Kelly Slater is going bald and he is like the best surfer ever,and he tagged Pam Anderson." Just statements to make one feel better about their own situation.

I don't give a crap how many women say it or post it here, most women prefer a guy with hair. Baldness is not cool for younger guys or any for that matter. This shaving the head thing and growing a goatee is so lame and outdated, if some of these guys only had a clue.

It takes balls to shave your head and I greatly respect that. However, the only guy I like with a shaved head is Michael Jordan and a few other black and Latino dudes- it does not look good on caucasions or asians.

This debate is so beat and so lame- shaved heads look freaky and we all know it, thats wy we come to this site with hope.

Damn, years back a good college or highschool prank was shaving someones head when they passed out, so they would look like a fool for weeks to come.

Nope, sorry the Chemoed out, shaved alien Cancer look is not appealing to me. Frig Patrick Stewart, James T Kirk wore a piece since he was in his 20's and was much more acceptable than Stewart ever was.

Baldness is a horrible disease. No one can make it sound good.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree that most women prefer guys with hair but I disagree that caucasians look bad with a shaved head. Okay, some do, but if you have the right shaped head and the right physique it can look cool. A goatee with a shaved head is definitely a bad look though.

Redbone

Reaction score
Definately some look cool and those are the one's with the stubble, but the razor shaved head looks awful. Like CNN's Ragin Cagin, or Bruce Willis :freaked2:

Lets be honest we are talking like 1 out of 20 white dudes looks good with a chrome dome. Structure of cranium is importent but the lack of hair causes a severe focus on facial features, its scary.

Does anyone remember uncle fester?

I dare anyone to name a young bald dude that looks good?

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
True. When the worst happens with me I will most likely go with a number one to leave a bit of stubble rather than shave it right down to the skin.

SE-freak

Reaction score
biff said:
True. When the worst happens with me I will most likely go with a number one to leave a bit of stubble rather than shave it right down to the skin.

That is not the worst.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
biff said:

That is not the worst.

It is as far as hair loss is concerned, which is the context of this thread.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Ok, so let me rephrase stripping the philosofical correlation off as it was not initially intended:

That is not the worst since you have stubble to leave on.

G

You forgot about Vin Diesel :D

Also, all these guys are famous and rich, so I don't think women care about their baldness.

Hey Redbone, are you Captain Stabin ? :shock:

shoRt sHanKs

Reaction score
=/

Have to agree with Follijinx on this one. My beef with going bald is that...well I don't look old. I think I basically look like a young kid with a disease. I don't even have dense facial hair, no beard, goatee, etc.
IT SUCKS. Explain to me which lovely ladies OUR age go for the prematurely balding 21 year olds?

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
pfft worst topic ever

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
women dont care about a mans hair ...all they care about in the long run is if hes got money ...bottom line

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
and as for painting toe nails ..if some mole asked me to paint her toe nails i would pimp slap her and then throw her through the nearest glass window

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
and wheres michael jordan,vin diesel and all them on that stupid list ...she only put the most ugly bald men on there

Britannia

Reaction score
KiLLuMiNaTi said:
women dont care about a mans hair ...all they care about in the long run is if hes got money ...bottom line

Amen