A warning about chronic, long term minoxidil use

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Acromegaly is an endocrine disorder caused by chronic excessive growth hormone secretion from the anterior pituitary gland. Significant disfiguring changes occur as a result of bone, cartilage, and soft tissue hypertrophy, including the thickening of the skin, coarsening of facial features, and cutis verticis gyrata. Pseudoacromegaly, on the other hand, is the presence of similar acromegaloid features in the absence of elevated growth hormone or insulin-like growth factor levels. We present a patient with pseudoacromegaly that resulted from the long-term use of minoxidil at an unusually high dose. This is the first case report of pseudoacromegaly as a side effect of minoxidil use."

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy f*****g christ is there no win to this fight? Now you also have to risk looking like that?!

Side note, we all know of the controversy surrounding finasteride, but it is interesting that there is almost similar controversy surrounding minoxidil. I wasn't really aware of this until recently, I only knew of the small sides of course like heart palpitations, shortness of breath, skin dryness etc. (I've experienced those under high dosages), but now that I've delved and researched more there is tons of controversy around the more serious sides like collagen degratation, aging, baggy eyes, heart issues etc and people being scared away from taking the drug due to those. Maybe not to the same extent of controversy that we see with finasteride, but still interesting.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
He has one hell of a hairline tho

Attachments

• 318F762E-F9C2-41DF-988C-401F809AE7E1.png
    318F762E-F9C2-41DF-988C-401F809AE7E1.png
    322.7 KB · Views: 378

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unlikely to be the low dose aspirin or the furosemide, or the lansoprazole, so where does that leave us?

I mean -maybe- the quinapril combined with the minoxidil.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He has one hell of a hairline tho
Very true.

So who is going to mimic his medications and see if they can regrow hair? Maybe there is something to his method. Maybe we just need to fix his dosages to not end up looking like that? :)