A very big step forward for us baldies.

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Huh?? I already answered you in another thread: ketoconazole blocks the androgen receptor. I think that's probably the way it helps fight male pattern baldness, although I certainly can't claim to know for sure.

Hey Bryan,

I know this is completely anecdotal, but a couple or so years back Michael Barry was washing parts of his body with a bunch of different topicals to see if they reduced body hair, one being nizoral. I'll see if I can dig up the thread. Off the top of my head, he found a few elements that did just that (peppermint/revivogen), but ketoconazole had the opposite effect: it increased the growth of body hair.

I've never understood what to make of this. Does this suggest that ketoconazole acts as a growth stimulant as well?

Here's the thread, page 7 towards the bottom:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40783&p=380039&hilit=+ketoconazole#p380039

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jh said:
Hey Bryan,

I know this is completely anecdotal, but a couple or so years back Michael Barry was washing parts of his body with a bunch of different topicals to see if they reduced body hair, one being nizoral. I'll see if I can dig up the thread. Off the top of my head, he found a few elements that did just that (peppermint/revivogen), but ketoconazole had the opposite effect: it increased the growth of body hair.

I've never understood what to make of this. Does this suggest that ketoconazole acts as a growth stimulant as well?

It certainly does appear to do that. I wish doctors and scientists would do additional formal testing of ketoconazole and/or Nizoral shampoo, to get to the bottom of all this. That French study of Nizoral shampoo that's been discussed and cited so much on hairloss forums is all well and good, but I've always considered it to be a rather small and preliminary effort. We need additional studies that can either corroborate it, or refute it.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Soy can have an adverse affect on your thyroid which can result in telogen effluvium. Make sure you supplement with iodine (preferably kelp) especially if you have a low sodium intake (desirable).

Interesting you say that baller, I can recall the Japanese, especially pre-WWII, eating soy, and kelp in healthy amounts, and back then their hair loss sufferers were much less than today's day.

And don't forget that plenty of sunlight can actually damage your hair, and it will absolutely damage your skin. If your trying to slow the aging process a lotta sun is just about the worst thing you can do.

Dogs, yea sure, tons of sunlight, especially on skin which is very dry, or un-nourished by the right compounds in the blood, but sunlight is essential in life, we can't just say avoid the sun, especially if critical actions are to happen in it's presence.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
global said:
misterE said:
dpdr said:
And Soy Milk ? good or bad ?

Soy milk is good. It has anti-estrogenic effects do to the phytoestrogens. But isolated-soy-protein is bad, it increases IGF-1.

The latest research on this is that soy phytoestrogens aren't actually anti-estrogenic at all and in fact just increase the estrogen load.

Read the article "Mens Health" that MisterE posted, they recommend the use of soy milk

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, sure, I get all my scientific research from Mens Health.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
global said:

I'm not saying that YOU'RE WRONG, I only spoke what I read

EDIT:

Look:

http://www.hairloss-research.org/Update ... h6-07.html

Soy extract prevents the hair loss effect of testosterone by inhibiting the binding of testosterone to the hair and scalp receptor. Soy extracts also raise systemic levels of sex hormone binding globulin(SHBG), and upregulate VEGF(vascular endothelium growth factor). A recently published study showed that merely consuming soy milk and small amounts of soy protein significantly lowered blood levels of DHT. Oral soy extracts can be combined with other pharmaceutical treatments for hair loss without adversely affecting the beneficial and positive effects of such treatments.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:
global said:

I'm not saying that YOU'RE WRONG, I only spoke what I read

EDIT:

Look:

http://www.hairloss-research.org/Update ... h6-07.html

Soy extract prevents the hair loss effect of testosterone by inhibiting the binding of testosterone to the hair and scalp receptor. Soy extracts also raise systemic levels of sex hormone binding globulin(SHBG), and upregulate VEGF(vascular endothelium growth factor). A recently published study showed that merely consuming soy milk and small amounts of soy protein significantly lowered blood levels of DHT. Oral soy extracts can be combined with other pharmaceutical treatments for hair loss without adversely affecting the beneficial and positive effects of such treatments.

ok but that's different to what Mr E claimed & what I commented on which is that soy is an anti-estrogen.