A topical that works as well as Finasteride or a decent one?

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read a few other threads regarding this matter but it is not conclusive. A few of the names that kept popping out are:

Revivogen
Crinagen
spironolactone

I do not know their effectiveness and I am just listing them. There should be much more products in the list above. Hopefully there are cheaper topical solutions.

Can someone more knowledgable please step in and lend a helping hand to those who do not want to or cannot take finasteride due to sides? We just want more options.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
These should all work: -

1. Topical spironolactone
2. Topical Flutamide (might not work locally though - potential side effects)
3. Ell Cranell Alpha (not really an AA though)
4. RU (more effective than even large doses of oral Finasteride but difficult to get hold of)
5. Revivogen (fatty acids in Revivogen have been shown to inhibit 5a-reductase)
6. Copper peptides such as the one used in Tricomin.

These might work: -

1. Fluridil
2. Topical dutasteride
3. Topical finasteride
4. Topical green tea
5. Zix

CCS

Reaction score
flutamide does not work locally. it affects your whole system as much as your hair.

The other stuff, except for maybe zix, should be helpful, but of quesitonable strength, except for RU58841, which may be as strong or maybe strong than propecia, in the right vehicle Read the blogs on my web site to find out where to buy RU. You need to sign up for myspace to do that. It is $300 plus $90 shipping for 10g, which can last you about 6 months.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Proxiphen is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia", according to Dr. Proctor, although it's expensive.

Bryan

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
RU seems kind of expensive though.

Bryan, can you recommend a topical that is not expensive like Proxiphen but still good, maybe a 2nd best topical after Proxiphen?

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
... and also Bryan, is it OK to be on proxiphen AND Propecia (which my son is on)? Do they compliment each other? Thanks.

shuggyboy

Reaction score
Bryan

so whats your thoughts on proxiphen instead of finasteride then? reason being i might be starting a family soon and will have to come of finasteride, i have maintained well with spironolactone finasteride, folligen and minoxidil , would proxiphen do the job?

thanks

G

shuggyboy said:
reason being i might be starting a family soon and will have to come of finasteride

thanks

Finasteride won't cause birth defects, Shuggyboy.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know that i am using green tea extract topically now.....
for about a week.

and i must tell u that my head is no longer oily...itchiness has gone down to 0.

The skin on the scalp is no longer inflamed and when i used to brush hair before i used to see lots of hair on the brush, now if i count i have about 20 hairs. But I was diagnosed with Sabborheic Dermatitis... and due to that I lost lots of hairs but I also hope it will stop my receeding hairline...

I am using GTE with Topical spironolactone and Tricomin.

Was also taking for about 5 months the following minerals/vitamins..

Silica,Biotin 5mcg/day,MSM 3000/day,zinc 20 mg(I hope its the right measurement)......

Except of the faster hair growth they did nothing to my hair...and Silica has turned sperm into water.....(I know its nasty but maybe you wanna know)

And 3 of my friends were taking Silica with the same effect..

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
These should all work: -

1. Topical spironolactone
2. Topical Flutamide (might not work locally though - potential side effects)
3. Ell Cranell Alpha (not really an AA though)
4. RU (more effective than even large doses of oral Finasteride but difficult to get hold of)
5. Revivogen (fatty acids in Revivogen have been shown to inhibit 5a-reductase)
6. Copper peptides such as the one used in Tricomin.

Topical spironolactone probably has some activity. RU58841 has proven at least moderately effective beyond a reasonable doubt, and is quite possibly more effective than oral finasteride. Flutamide should be avoided by males who are not contemplating a male-to-female sex change. Revivogen and Ell Cranell Alpha (17a-estradiol) are of dubious efficacy. The usefulness of copper peptides is also questionable, and it is not known whether (or how) they affect the long-term progression of Androgenetic Alopecia. Formulation is critical in all cases.

Red Rose said:
These might work: -

1. Fluridil
2. Topical dutasteride
3. Topical finasteride
4. Topical green tea
5. Zix

Topical finasteride definitely can work to some extent, possibly even as much or more than oral.

Felk

Reaction score
Dave001, i can see you're a believer in topical finasteride, what do you think would be the best vehicle for making it? Because I definately agree with what you were saying with the previous treatments, formulation is key!

I find it very interesting how Dave is optimistic about topical finasteride, and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to hair loss treatments (i've read some of his posts and recipes before) whereas Bryan is very much against the idea

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
suicidedude said:
Bryan, can you recommend a topical that is not expensive like Proxiphen but still good, maybe a 2nd best topical after Proxiphen?

Probably Prox-N! :)

Seriously, I'm not sure what any other single non-Proctor product would be theoretically as good as his, since his products use so many different ingredients that work in different ways. Maybe you could emulate Proxiphen to some extent (a "poor-man's Proxiphen"?) by using Dr. Lee's topical spironolactone, some generic minoxidil, and Folligen (or Tricomin).

pratc said:
... and also Bryan, is it OK to be on proxiphen AND Propecia (which my son is on)? Do they compliment each other?

Using Proxiphen and Propecia together is an excellent idea, and one that Dr. Proctor certainly accepts. There is probably nothing in Proxiphen which acts as a 5a-reductase inhibitor, so it's only logical to use it along with Propecia. Yes, they compliment each other very nicely!

shuggyboy said:
so whats your thoughts on proxiphen instead of finasteride then? reason being i might be starting a family soon and will have to come of finasteride...

I agree with what JayMan said: you don't have to come off finasteride just because you'll be starting a family. The FDA has looked at that issue very very carefully, and has removed all such restrictions on its use.

Bryan

G

Is the phenytoin an anti androgen like spironolactone? Or is it a growth stimulant?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Phenytoin is not an antiandrogen. It's a hypertrichotic agent, like minoxidil.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Felk said:
I find it very interesting how Dave is optimistic about topical finasteride, and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to hair loss treatments (i've read some of his posts and recipes before) whereas Bryan is very much against the idea

It's not so much that I'm "very much against the idea", it's just that after seeing very conflicting studies on topical finasteride, I just throw my hands up in the air and say, "I don't know WHAT the f--- to believe!" :lol:

Bryan

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
suicidedude said:

Probably Prox-N! :)

Seriously, I'm not sure what any other single non-Proctor product would be theoretically as good as his, since his products use so many different ingredients that work in different ways. Maybe you could emulate Proxiphen to some extent (a "poor-man's Proxiphen"?) by using Dr. Lee's topical spironolactone, some generic minoxidil, and Folligen (or Tricomin).

Wow, 4 months supply of Prox-N at USD109.95. That comes to about USD28/mth. Damn, it sucks to be not able to afford this fantastic stuff you recommended.

Sorry Bryan that I keep asking for cheaper alternatives, I hope you do not mind.

But any budget-friendly ones? :/

JWM

Reaction score
Check out lef.org. they sell a 'lite' version of Prox-N called Dr. Proctors Regrowth Formula, but even Proctor says it may be a better value than his Prox-N when taking into account cost and concentration of ingredients etc.

Dave001, have you changed your opinion of 17-a estradiol?

suicidedude

Established Member
Reaction score