A topical anti-androgen is in phase 2 trials in Europe..

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Now...if only they could got to phase 3 already... Seriously, its been years now I think.

http://www.strakan.com/randd.html

http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN49873657

Here is a brief description of the history of the drug courtesy of another poster on another forum..

"For those interested in knowing more I will provide you with some additional information.

Back in the 90's a French company, Rosseau Pharmaceuticals developed a topical anti-androgen named RU 58841. Initial studies conducted at the time both in Europe and the US on the stump tailed macaque for androgenic alopecia proved extremely positive. The drug action was proported able to stop DHT binding to the receptor by over 90% without any systematic absorption. Hair growth witnessed in these trials spoke for themselves. Unfortunately at the time Rosseau was undergoing changes of ownership and the testing ended. It has basically sat around in limbo since this time.

Recently it has been licensed to other European companies which saw it as a viable treatment in male pattern baldness to continue the research. It appears on the surface to have all the benefits of a topical anti-androgen, it works and has not caused any side effects in the studies.

One big caveat, stability of the compound is a problematic. By nature of its chemical formulation it is highly hygroscopic, meaning its attracts moisture from the atmosphere. When this happens, it quickly degrades and becomes unstable and virtually useless. Companies are currently working on a means to counteract this. I am not sure if this has been solved as of yet, though I have a possible solution in mind, but if it has, a monumental roadblock to its eventual release has been removed.

I have done quite a bit of research on the drug over the past few months, reading through clinical trials, contacting the manufacturer of RU and speaking to individuals who have used it. I have actually considered trying it myself. Nothing but positive claims have been made with the exception of its stability. If this has been solved it appears RU will become the most exciting hair growth drug to date."

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/fo ... 7431064092

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the Curis news today was a big blow, guys. But cheer up. Curis was still incredibly pre-clinical. Didn't even make it to phase I trials.

Neosil's product and RU are both in phase II trials right now. They have both passed the safety trials.

Now, I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, I'm just saying, stay optimistic. These trials take years. Curis was a decade away (if not longer) from providing a real hair loss solution.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot,

Curis based their predictions on mice!

Neosil has real results on real people according to the trial data.

abcdefg

Reaction score
So they are getting RU approved? that would be great if that turns out to do what they say. Blocking testosterone and DHT nearly 100 percent locally is the perfect preventative cure to male pattern baldness if it actually does that effectively. I think a lot of men want an anti DHT treatment that is proven besides propecia. Blocking testosterone just makes it that much better. I bet that would probably completely stop male pattern baldness dead in its tracks if the current theory on male pattern baldness holds and RU does as it has claimed.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
So they are getting RU approved?

Well, the question is when. Its really a question of management right now. They seem to have been stuck in phase II trials for years now.

If it (ever) makes it to phase III, then that is when I would be cautiously optimistic.

Neosil's growth stimulant seems to be progressing at a slightly faster pace.

Their last update was this past January. There still is a long way to go though, so keep your fingers crossed.

"Emeryville, CA – January 4, 2007 – Neosil, Inc., a privately held dermatology-focused pharmaceutical company, today announced positive Phase 2a clinical data demonstrating that its lead product, NEOSH101, increased hair growth significantly in men diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia, also known as pattern hair loss (PHL). "

http://www.neosil.com/

abcdefg

Reaction score
That may be true it being years from now, but I am on no treatments right now and if I start propecia I could keep my hair which is still very good for 5 years I would hope. RU would pretty much replace propecia for those that dont want systemic effects and would essentially prevent baldness maybe like ascj 9 will hopefully. This neosil stuff seems to be more like rogain and not really a means of preventing hairloss completely. I dont need to regrow hair I just need to keep what I have. I dont want a mature hairline and right now theres nothing I can do.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
I did some reading on this and man it seems like this product is amazing but why is nothing happening? I read about some guy who had bought some of this for hard cash and got some great regrowth.

This really sucks.

powersam

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
I know the Curis news today was a big blow, guys. But cheer up. Curis was still incredibly pre-clinical. Didn't even make it to phase I trials.

Neosil's product and RU are both in phase II trials right now. They have both passed the safety trials.

Now, I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, I'm just saying, stay optimistic. These trials take years. Curis was a decade away (if not longer) from providing a real hair loss solution.

what curis news?

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Some pharma companies don't market drugs, they just develop them and make the money off licensing.