A Serious Possibility for Young Patients Wanting to Get hair transplant

hair23

Reaction score
Hello people,

I have an idea regarding hair transplant for young patients in their 20s, and want you to hear me out and offer your opinion.

Everyone talks about how getting an hair transplant early will screw young patients in the future because continued loss will contribute to an abnormal hairloss pattern in the non-transplanted areas of the scalp. This is completely understandable.

However, most people agree that the hairline is the most important feature of an hair transplant because it frames the face, etc. So, what if we were to get an hair transplant (let's say someone is originally a NW2 or 3 before the hair transplant) in the front, creating an ideal, mature hairline that one would be happy with forever.

It is possible, and probable, that the hair behind the hair transplant will eventually fall out, leaving a bald crown, but would that be SO bad? I mean, we'd have great heads of hair for years, especially with meds and all, we could stave that off for years. Plus, new meds, cloning, etc will eventually come out that can even further delay it.

WORST COMES TO WORST, let's say there are no new meds and the hair behind it completey goes. In the end, we would still have a perfect hairline but with no hair on the crown. (Even then, still, we could get a hairpiece that would cover that portion while the front, and most comsetically sensitive, is natural and undetectable.)

As an example, look Zinedine Zidane, famous French footballer. He's got a relatively intact hairline, and probably a NW6 everwhere else. BUT HE LOOKS ACCEPTABLE, and his loss doesn not look bad when looking at him from the front, which is the most important.

The NW6 from the back:
http://www.eurosport.com/football/worldcup/2006/sport_sto874290.shtml

The hairline from the front (shaved down):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5064798.stm

Please search for other picutes of Zidane if you want to get even a better perspective of what I mean. What do you guys think of this option?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I would definitely fall on the "don't do it" side. Keep in mind that the transplanted hairline has a certain density that, relative to a balding crown, may look very unnatural. That's on top of most transplanted hairlines (even the so-called "good ones") looking unnatural to begin with.

To me, this look is far worse than a combover. Why? Instead of balding gracefully, you've put a billboard on your head that says you were insecure with your looks and made a failed attempt to compensate. The result of that attempt can at times be adequate, but most of the time a transplant is an easy make. The best analogy I can make is of a guy wearing a Member's Only jacket in 2006 thinking that he's to the nines, clueless that others are quietly mocking him.

Then again, I liked my Member's Only jacket so what do I know?

michael barry

Reaction score
hair23 wrote.................................: "It is possible, and probable, that the hair behind the hair transplant will eventually fall out, leaving a bald crown, but would that be SO bad? I mean, we'd have great heads of hair for years, especially with meds and all, we could stave that off for years. Plus, new meds, cloning, etc will eventually come out that can even further delay it."

Man I hope so. I want cloning, Curis, gene therapy. Dammit science shoulda' figured this out by now. Thats one of the reasons I've always been confident about baldness is that there are so many bald scientists who no doubt hate it too. But apparently the genetics involved are supremely complicated.

There is an outfit called Alvi Armani that aggressively plants hairlines pretty low. The surgeon is talented, but too aggressive in my opinion.
I know what hair23 means when he states some men have a good hairline and a back bald spot. Ive seen it. If the bald spot gets really big, one runs the risk of looking rather odd however, AND PLEASE DONT FORGET that sides do receed. Sometimes all the way back to your ears. And the sides on balding men in many cases get thin and GREY pretty notiecably. The footballer that was cited as an example is a good example if a surgeon could make it look like that. One wouldnt want a donor scar with a buzz that short though. It would stick out like a dog's balls. It would have to be an FUE. Im hoping that in a few more years will will really know what we can expect the future to hold where we can make cosmetic desicions based on it. For now though, getting work if youre an early balder.....is running a bit of a risk. Hope it works out well for you though.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is my plan, I'm going to have work to fill in my temples and if my loss progresses just have another procedure to keep the front hairline to frame my face.

However I wont ever bother trying to fill in the crown. Having just a bald crown but intact hairline is a natural look which occurs in many balding men anyway (e.g. Zidane) so wont look unnatural.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
You will probably look much worse after the first one. Then another ,another , another. Guess what . Your scarred uplook like an idiot and have spent thousands in the process. O yea good luck.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mahair said:
You will probably look much worse after the first one. Then another ,another , another. Guess what . Your scarred uplook like an idiot and have spent thousands in the process. O yea good luck.

Most of the people who go to the good surgeons talked about on this board don't look worse after their surgery, so why would you say that?

Also I intend having FUE so no scar, even if I had strip the good surgeons have a good record of leaving a small scar, and with tricophytic closure this is becoming less of an issue.

As for the recurring surgeries, my loss hasnt progressed in the last 10 years and I'm currently on dutasteride. I feel I can look forward to little future loss but even if it does progress, like I said I only aim to get the front done to frame my face and give me a hairline. I will definitely have enough donor hair for that.

Perhaps you should be a little more positive in your posts instead of trying to scare people unnecessarily.

hair23

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I truly think this is a solution to most guys' problems, especially if money isn't an issue. Granted, for younger patients (20s) there is more of a chance of crown balding, but really, it won't turn out that bad. So you have a bald crown and a great hairline. This does not look as unusual as everyone is making this out to be.

By chance I saw this other ariticle talking about Zidane's hair. Sure the front forelock that is there is not common, but it does not look bad. And this would be the worse case scenario in young people who have:

1. received the hair transplant
2. taken propecia and/or minoxidil to further delay/prevent loss
3. no other mediactions are invented in the future (5-7 years) that could even further delay it
4. HM is still not out
5. additional surgeries to cover areas behind the hairline
6. a small hairpiece to cover the area behind the hairline can also be used

If all of the above happen, worst case scenario is the Zidane look. Let's all get a grip on reality.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/060623

michael barry

Reaction score
Hair 23,

That Zidane "look" would not be the same if that was a "created hairline"......you should look very close at dense-packed hairlines. There are so many incisions in the skin, that it turns white because of all that scar tissue so tightly packed. Buzzing your head after a dense-packing session is not something you see many do because of the coloration issue. The skin gets as white as this backdrop behind this script. Unless your as pasty white as Pete Doherty, it would be noticeable. Sort of like a big burn scar on your head, made up of small white dots.

I have to be utterly honest.

In the few years now since Ive been checking out hairsites and talking with men who got several transplants for coverage about like Jotronic's, you'd be suprised how many still say "if I could go back, Id just pull an Agassi"........thats about like how I feel. Using propecia and rotating nizoral and a copper peptide shampoo or conditioner on your buzzed head would keep in in shape in case something DOES come out in the form of hedgehog angonsists, gene therapies, or cloning. If you hack up the scalp extensively and more or less destroy the miniaturized follicles, the first two scenarios proboably wouldnt help you at all. Nothing mimics nature completely as far as buzzing a transplant down as low as Zidane does his real hair.

I wonder how many men, doing the big 3+whatever else with transplants on a natural NW4 or more hairline are sick and tired of the "regimine" that they HAVE to do for the rest of their lives because its a MUST for them in order not to have a "hair island" up there.

You never did address the issue of side recession also. Bald men often see the sides of their hair receed back to their ears. This would also be a problem. This is a good example http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/cast/charac ... ucco.shtml

and here is another http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/cast/actor/ ... nese.shtml

See how bald men often go in older years? You want to be on something like Dutasteride for 40 years?

I stand by my statement, if you start losing hair before 30 on its own, with no dietary or drug help.......you proboably should not ever get surgery. I didnt say not "fight it and wait", but not surgery. The man in the last pic probably doenst have 20,000 hairs left on his head. Its better to think of baldness the way that the latest science describes it: Its an androgen initiated auto-immune disorder. By the way, after DHT initiates hairloss.............the hair seemingly becomes weakened by OTHER male hormones over time. Bryan Shelton has been kind enough to note that just Testosterone weakens hair in experiments with hair cells in culture and androstenidione and DHEA are suspected by researchers of eventually being able to be detrimental to hair over the years. So as time goes by, just eliminting alpha five DHT may not be enough. Keep in mind that andro can be oxidized into DHT and sulfites can be used by DHEAS to make it a fourth way.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck then. If your goal is to look like Zidane then you are being reakistic. That is about all you could get even from the best doctors. Oh yea- You will look worse before you look better. And Zidane looking after a few sessions. Do you like hats buddy? You will be in them for several years before accepting you went for the Zidane LOOK.

klik

Reaction score
I've thought about the same thing hair23.

My dad is 50 years old, a NW4V, he is a very stressed person and have never used any hair loss drugs to fight his hair loss. My guess is that I will end up at the NW4 as well. It looks like I'm losing less hair than he did at my age too.

If I'm not unlucky and gets more bald than my father, I'll never have to create a "hair line" between my crown and hair line, cause it will be natural hair there my whole life, just like my dad.

I'm 21 now, are on propecia and are going to start with nizoral + minoxil, and wait at least 5 years before I make any descision of what to do regarding hair transplant. If I have a pretty good controll of my hair loss in 5 years time, and it looks like I won't go past NW4 I think I'll go for a hair transplant to get the hair line I've always wanted and try to fight the crown loss with drugs.

It's 29 years untill I'm 50, and HM must surly be out by then? Maybe cloning too.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mahair said:
Good luck then. If your goal is to look like Zidane then you are being reakistic. That is about all you could get even from the best doctors. Oh yea- You will look worse before you look better. And Zidane looking after a few sessions. Do you like hats buddy? You will be in them for several years before accepting you went for the Zidane LOOK.

You're a dickhead.

G

Global,

You are absolutely correct. I hear about far, far more success stories present day than bad ones.

The problem is that some do not do research and end up getting whacked.

The other interesting thing is that some guys, after extensive research, end up realizing that they are not in fact good candidates or not candidates at all for hair transplant surgery. I see that too.

But the patients who do adequate research "know" their limitations, they have a grip on their family history of male pattern baldness and balance those factors out with "realistic" expectations. They know and accept what they are getting into and many end up establishing proper goals and expectations.

Then they do exhaustive research on selecting a good reputable and talented surgeon rather than being sold by an informercial they saw on late light TV. They do not set themselves up for failure and then run around blaming everyone else for their own irresponsible actions.

Kudos Global! :wink:

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
global said:
Mahair said:

You're a dickhead.

To someone excited about the prospect of a hair transplant, Mahair's words may seem a huge downer - but he does present things that you need to consider. There are many guys out there who've gone into hair transplant with the promise of no more male pattern baldness worrying. In almost all cases, this is an inaccurate expectation. You will most certainly be trading your current condition for a new set of issues. Whether those crop up immediately or over time, they'll likely be there waiting for you. Whether the new problems are a good tradeoff is a personal decision...they may be for you....but don't be a Pollyanna. You won't be saying a lifelong goodbye to hair "problems." As long as you know that, are old enough, and take ownership of the risks, downsides, and assured future commitments - all for a result that's not guaranteed to appear natural, then you're more prepared than most who pursue the procedure.

I'm personally not in favor of it because practically speaking there's no going back once you start - but then I'm not you.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Gillenator- It is not only the doctors responsibility , but his obligation to determine if in fact the "candidates" expectations are realistic. I was adopted so I had no Idea of what my future loss was. DR. Magdalin was sloppy and dangerous with his diagnosis and had no technical skill. People once again need to remember that this is a business not a medical specialty. Also Gillenator did'nt you also have a bad experiencw with a transplant that MHR gave you for free while you were selling them for them that Cole had to fix. Did'nt you do your research? Your a jackass. Global go for it sorry to interfere with your transplant wet dream. Gil were you in the military? If not don't use kudos. If you insinuate that guys that ended up with neuro-vascular problems did'nt do their research. Where is the reseach on that. Look at Magdalins profile. Is that what a butcher looks like? Shut your piehole. Lets just say that the industry is 90% corrupt (being generous here) . And that the risks usually outweigh the benifits.Consider what I am saying as research. Because if it happens to you I guess you didn't do yours. THen guys like Gillenator will put the blame on you. Something I am sure he has done before and is aparently quite comfortable doing.

G

You never researched the MHR doctor who whacked you. You have said many times publicly of your failure to do so. Your true character always comes out with your own words. Poison!

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
What does a hair transplant salesman know about character? Don't forget to feed the pigeons on your way home nice guy.