A result for fue naysayers

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I agree with many of the above comments that are saying this looks unnatural.

This is a perfect example of why artistry is so, so important. This is what happens:

First glance, it looks unnatural, but you can't figure out how or why. Then you start to convince yourself it must therefore look natural, or not too bad.

Here's my analysis :) :

TRANSITION

The transition (i.e. going from skin to hair) is quite well feathered, however not perfect. This is maybe an 8 out of 10. It would be improved by using thigh or lower leg hair to feather and improve the transition.

DESIGN

A hairline needs three temple points, particularly one so low, and this appears to only have one. It needs a central point and two side points, made up from very soft hair, either nape or leg hair.

ANGLES

The surgeon in this case has used the wrong angles to close the temple points. On such a low hairline in nature, the hair grows much more horizontally as it reaches the sides of the head. In this hair transplant the transition between vertical hairs like this |||||||||| and horizontal hairs is too sudden, perhaps there is not a transition at all. However to be fair the industry in general does lack true artistry and 90% of surgeons make the same mistake.

The hairs should be going almost horizontal by the time they get midway between the middle of the forehead and the temple closing point. Most surgeons ignore this and make a sudden transition at the temple point or no transition.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.liowallpapers.com/wallpapers ... 0Fox_9.jpg

As can be clearly seen, when the hairline is this low naturally, the appearance is for the hair to grow quite horizontally, from the centre point to the temple point. In fact, as it reaches the temple point it is even growing down slightly.

Compare the Matthew Fox picture to the original picture in this thread and you'll see clearly what I mean.

So, a good way to get a really UNREALISTIC hairline, is to have an hair transplant where the majority of the hairs are positioned straight like so |||||||||||||||||||||

I never understand why most surgeons do this. I imagine it must be something to do with lack of artistry, but also something to do with logistical/surgical decisions, what is possible from a surgical point of view etc.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
jambri said:
Here is a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.liowallpapers.com/wallpapers ... 0Fox_9.jpg

The example you have given wont look appealing to most.
If I can get a Norwood 1ish hairline, I will not want a widow's peak in centre.

Your other idea about 3 peaks is good. For past one year, I have been looking closely at adults with no hairloss. The triple peak is actually quite common in nature. Then again, it may not be coice of all.

All said and done, I think this is a landmark case where good density and a young hairline has been accomplished by fue and bht alone. The argument that such hair restorations are possible only with strip does not hold true. That was the point of my thread.

Synergy

Reaction score
The front hairline looks a little bit not natural on the "After" pics. Too much thick hairs on the front (the hair density here is unreal). It is to easy to recognize hair transplant for this man.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I would have been happy to have this guy's before pic hair. There is nothing wrong with a widows peak btw. Some of you guys think that anything other than having a dense flat hair line constitutes hair loss. You're wrong.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
/\ Truth. And honestly, I think these straight-across hair lines I've seen on a lot of 30 year old + guys are silly.

(That wasn't a comment on this patient.)

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
Synergy said:
The front hairline looks a little bit not natural on the "After" pics. Too much thick hairs on the front (the hair density here is unreal). It is to easy to recognize hair transplant for this man.

If I didnt know this was a transplant and met him on the street, I will not be able to make out that its a hair transplant. I will gladly accept this "too thick hairline" if it happens for me. :)

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one problem with this thread. This result is not typical of Dr. A nor of any Doctor. This is one of the RARE cases where a particular person has good hair characteristics combined with a good yield. Anyone reading this thread should check out some other results from Dr. A and I'm sure you'll see that most of his patients seem to come out mediocre at best.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
I have one problem with this thread. This result is not typical of Dr. A nor of any Doctor. This is one of the RARE cases where a particular person has good hair characteristics combined with a good yield. Anyone reading this thread should check out some other results from Dr. A and I'm sure you'll see that most of his patients seem to come out mediocre at best.

I wont agree with you. Dr. Arvind does a wide variety of difficult cases. He also keeps the patient's choice in mind. I decided to go in stages for my hair transplant. Similarly there are many other cases that are work in progress. He is the only doctor to get consistently good results in strip, fue as well as repair, bht and beard hair to scalp hair transplant.
If you want to compare that to simple strip on virgin head, its hardly fair. Can you show me a strip result superior to this one? The hairline design, the temple closure, the density are all perfect. That can not be ascribed to chance, nor hair characters.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Devender said:
The hairline design, the temple closure, the density are all perfect. That can not be ascribed to chance, nor hair characters.

Yes it can. In fact it must. Otherwise all his other patients would be posting similar results. You're telling me that every other patient that I've seen from him is a "work in progress?" That's hardly believable. I can't imagine that many people who are waiting for a good final product with sh*t results in between.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I just realized that a combination of bht and strip wouldn't work together for my purposes. I thought I could get as much head donor hair as I could from strip and then make up for everything else with bht, but with bht I would be tempted to keep my hair buzzed but still have the shadow but I would also have the scar showing if I did that. There is no easy solutions for anyone who is nw5 and over. We are the fuct of the fuct. :shakehead:

Synergy

Reaction score
Devender said:
Synergy said:

If I didnt know this was a transplant and met him on the street, I will not be able to make out that its a hair transplant. I will gladly accept this "too thick hairline" if it happens for me. :)

I mean there should be a fuzzy hairs in front of thick hairs. If your surgeon can make it for you, it will be great :bravo:

Petchsky

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I just realized that a combination of bht and strip wouldn't work together for my purposes. I thought I could get as much head donor hair as I could from strip and then make up for everything else with bht, but with bht I would be tempted to keep my hair buzzed but still have the shadow but I would also have the scar showing if I did that. There is no easy solutions for anyone who is nw5 and over. We are the fuct of the fuct. :shakehead:

The scar is hidden up to a grade 3/4 on the back of the head.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Do you think that will be short enough to disguise the kink of the body hair?

Petchsky

Reaction score
I believe so. I remember seeing a Dr Umar repair patient, guy had mainly body hair so he kept his hair short, looked really good. He also posted a photo with longer hair, looked a bit strange. I'll see if I can find the photos or link...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response Petchsky, I would appreciate that. Just trying to determine the best course of action for the amount of loss that I have. Also, if SAF has any input on this approach, I would be curious as always to what he has to say.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'm sure SAF will chip in, but if I were you i'd use Hasson and Wong, get 5000 graft transplant in one or more if possible, let it grow, save up and get another high graft count transplant. I don't know what your donor is like but that could give you good coverage and in as few surgeries as possible. If you still want more coverage you can turn to BHT, not forgetting though that concealers also do a great job, I use these and probably will continue too even when my transplant grows in, when i'm hitting the town at least.

I know that there is no way you're going to be happy bald, so you may as well get saving!

:)

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

I'll tell it to you straight, with us high Norwood guys its pretty much a case of once you start down this route theres no going back.
Its a big commitment to make. It takes a lot of balls but knowing your situation I'm sure that a perfect NW1 is'nt your main objective.
With me it was just a case of not wanting to look bald. Balding in a early stage was an acceptable goal. As you know with all the NW2 guys on here crying over their lost NW1's whilst real baldies are dreaming of the days when they still had a NW3.

My hair might not be great but I'm no longer seen as a bald guy.
But then again I'm someone who was butchered multiple times so you stand a much better chance of getting a good result than me.
So if you'd be happy with a NW3 or thin NW2 then yes its a real possibility with a hair transplant.
Obviously in an ideal situation FUE is the way to go but for higher Norwood's unless you have shitloads of time and money and want to spend about 40hrs in the chair its not really practical.

As Petchsky said a strip megasession is your best bet and Hassan and Wong are the best by far for the amount of grafts that you'll need. Thats what I'd do given the chance again. You'll probably need 2 sessions the first to just give you some hair on the top and the second to fill the crown and tweak the hairline. We're talking 6-9000 grafts depending on what you've got as donor.

The best results I've ever seen is a guy called NicNitro (he's not on this site), I think he's on HLH or HTN though.

Its no walk in the park but its all about short term sacrifice for the long term gain.
But firstly you'll need to get a good consultaion and do a bit of research. Going the hair transplant route for high Norwood's is an all or nothing commitment once you've had that strip taken you might aswell use up all the donor you can because shaving will no longer be a good look for you.
Anything else you need to know just ask.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. When you say nw2 or 3 I still think of it as receeding instead of diffuse. You have seen the V dent on my head Saf, so it is not like I can opt for a higher hairline as that would look wierd. I would have to settle for some diffuse in there, but that is alright. I was a diffuse thinner and like petchsky said, I can always use concealers like you do (considering I get enough hair up there to conceal). And when my donor is cashed, then I have bht to thicken it up later if it is fiesable.