A Receding Hairline At 17 Years Old?

JaysonD

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me one side looks worse than the other.. normal? What should I do?

Attachments

• 9EDFA77D-FD9A-48DF-8F9F-2851CD619062.png
    9EDFA77D-FD9A-48DF-8F9F-2851CD619062.png
    503.2 KB · Views: 656
  • CFC4EFAE-4179-465F-8A4B-CE38E5ACBE64.png
    CFC4EFAE-4179-465F-8A4B-CE38E5ACBE64.png
    510.7 KB · Views: 576

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
NW1.5-2, which is not ideal for a 17 year old.

Future hair loss (or lack thereof) can be somewhat predicted based on your family history. If your family carries the bad genes, better to hop on minoxidil for a year and start finasteride at 18, just like I did.

JaysonD

My Regimen
Reaction score
NW1.5-2, which is not ideal for a 17 year old.

Future hair loss (or lack thereof) can be somewhat predicted based on your family history. If your family carries the bad genes, better to hop on minoxidil for a year and start finasteride at 18, just like I did.
Dads thin at 50, probably could go for one of those hair on the back and side things if he shaved the top. Grandfather on his side has a good head of hair still. Moms side I don’t really know he died

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dads thin at 50, probably could go for one of those hair on the back and side things if he shaved the top. Grandfather on his side has a good head of hair still. Moms side I don’t really know he died
Your dad has thin hair, which is normal at 50. But did he thin early in life? (20s or 30s)

I think you should hop on minoxidil and get on finasteride in a year or so. However, do your research about those drugs and be aware of all their sides. Keep in mind that these forums are visited by those who got bad experiences. Good luck.

JaysonD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your dad has thin hair, which is normal at 50. But did he thin early in life? (20s or 30s)

I think you should hop on minoxidil and get on finasteride in a year or so. However, do your research about those drugs and be aware of all their sides. Keep in mind that these forums are visited by those who got bad experiences. Good luck.
I think he started in his mid 30s from pictures at least. Is that abnormal?

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Eyy I'm 17 too. Welcome to Hell (JK). Listen dude, it is possible that you had this hairline your entire life, you just never realized it. If you have pictures at 14/earlier, you can see if there is any difference. I'm also starting to recede, but I've had a widow's peak since birth so the only way I can tell I'm receding is actually looking at the frontal hair strands and how thick or thin they are.

Are the hair strands at the temples thinner? For me, they have a fine texture, which means miniaturization.

JaysonD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Eyy I'm 17 too. Welcome to Hell (JK). Listen dude, it is possible that you had this hairline your entire life, you just never realized it. If you have pictures at 14/earlier, you can see if there is any difference. I'm also starting to recede, but I've had a widow's peak since birth so the only way I can tell I'm receding is actually looking at the frontal hair strands and how thick or thin they are.

Are the hair strands at the temples thinner? For me, they have a fine texture, which means miniaturization.
I don’t know necessarily thinner, like the strands are thin? The one side I actually notice anything, they are short hairs that won’t grow any longer

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t dude. We might actually have the same family history AND balding pattern. It's kinda creepy actually. Dads thin on top as well, hes 60. His dad has a full head of hair, and my maternal grandfather died so I don't know much about him. I'm also receding a bit at the temples, and i'm also 17. This is weird AF

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do I get finasteride? Is finasteride bad?
Finasteride isn't recommended at 17, I'm thinking of starting it at 19 because it messes with your hormones (DHT is important for development during puberty). For now, I've found a less potent DHT blocker called Saw Palmetto (even this is a bit dangerous as it is supposed to inhibit DHT but at least it is less potent, also it is available without prescription), I take hair vitamin supplements and I'm also using a natural topical solution cuz my parents don't want to get me minoxidil (there are lots of these on the market, I am not sure how effective they are). In the end, you have to talk with your parents, as you are still a minor. If you can, try and convince them to get you minoxidil, but do your research first.

Last edited:

JaysonD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t dude. We might actually have the same family history AND balding pattern. It's kinda creepy actually. Dads thin on top as well, hes 60. His dad has a full head of hair, and my maternal grandfather died so I don't know much about him. I'm also receding a bit at the temples, and i'm also 17. This is weird AF
What exactly is a maturing hairline? Are ours maturing or are we balding?

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd try to wait a year or two, then get on finasteride. You can get it from alldaychemist.

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What exactly is a maturing hairline? Are ours maturing or are we balding?
Maturing hairline is the slight receding hairline which comes with the loss of a straight hairline (if you ever had one, not my case) typical of young pre-teens. It is not male pattern baldness and you can see it in most guys in some way (even Brad Pitt has one for example, although you need a direct comparison of him in his younger days and him now).

Hard to say which one it is. It may recede a bit and then stay in place, or it might just go beyond reasonable and transform into an island patch(something like a Norwood 4a), but it still might take a while. Looking at my dad, his hair isn't THAT bad for a 60 year old, so it may have been a slow process. Ask your dad about the speed of his balding, or even your mom. My mom for example said that when she married him (he was about 40), his hairline had slightly receded.

My advice is to try and pay attention to the middle of the hairline as well, as that is not supposed to lose density in a maturing hairline. A loss in density might mean the start of an island patch. At the end of the day, don't stress too much about it, and you can hop on to medication after 19 or try less potent natural remedies before 19.