A Random Question: The Coupling of Balding and Ugliness

Glassjaw

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered before, probably so, but I don't think I've seen a thread dedicated to it. I always notice people on here saying how balding automatically makes you ugly. Why do we see this holy aura around balding celebrities? Granted, going bald is a drastic change in your appearance, but what about your other features? The reason I worry about going bald is because I don't have any strong facial features. I wish my face was a bit squarer, or maybe a smaller nose. If I had either of those, I could give a f*** about being bald. Nice eyes, lips, face, etc all over throw a nice head of hair. I dunno, something I just wanted to bring up, because it seems that people here assume, once you're bald, you're ugly and it annoys me. Not a great post, but I know you guys should have some input about this.

mre

Reaction score
I think it has to do with a number of factors. For me it comes down to this:

- fear of the unknown. How will people react to me as I go bald?
- hair covers imperfections. My scalp is bumpy and I wonder how bad I will look when there is nothing to cover it.
- loss of control. Most things in life we can control or wait long enough and it changes. Hair loss isn't like this.
- shape of face. Hair does a lot to shape the face. I've always had a long face and people have had no shame in telling me this as if it's a bad thing. As my hairline recedes my face looks longer since my head slopes upward.

That's pretty much it for me... I imagine most people have many of the same types of fears. I realize that even if I had the perfect head, balding would probably give me the same pain, but the truth is from a maintenance perspective I've always wanted to shave my head. If I had a nice shape of head I would have done it even when I had a good head of hair. Then I could go bald gracefully.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed since my hair started thinning a few years back that I get a lot less looks from attractive women, and less returned smiles. About the only time I get checked out is in the gym, because for my age I am in really good shape.

Disappointing for sure, but I imagine women get the same thing as they get older and lose their youthfull appearance. Some tend to make themselves up sluttier and more provacativly to compensate but eventually they just look skank.

Mingebreth

Reaction score
I feel for you my man. Your right, women don't generally find bald wanker's attractive. Its just not socially acceptable to be looking like a bald loser. Dont wanna piss you off son but im a good looking bastad with great hair. Im bang on the Propecia to try and make sure it stays that way - although that sh*t does have a great way of making you feel like your losing your hair with the old shedding!

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mingebreth said:
Dont wanna piss you off son but im a good looking bastad with great hair. Im bang on the Propecia to try and make sure it stays that way

congrats! don't forget to make your stop in the fat people forum and tell them you are a good looking skinny dude. very pathetic.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I mean really... I've got a 15 inch monster in my trousers but you don't see me bragging about it. :roll: :D

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mingebreth said:
Dont wanna piss you off son but im a good looking bastad with great hair.

Who told you that? Your mom? :lol:

If it were true you wouldent be on this forum!

Why me?

Reaction score
Dont wanna piss you off son but im a good looking bastad with great hair

Hey yo this kat is on a hairloss forum saying nonsense like this? Hey yo this gotz to be the quote of the year.

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone..its Me...Tom Cruise, me and my friend Brad Pitt would appreciate it if you stopped using us as examples of guys with full heads of hair...oh..and is anyone selling a used laser comb cheap?

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gees guys, I'm dating myself here but what about Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner? They were bald but not bad looking IMO:)

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldness can be ugly like a lot of physical attributes, it all depends on what you make of it and if you let if affect the way you live your life. Baldness is something that most women will over look if you don't let it bother you and show some self confidence. To me I would much rather be bald than short like some celebs mentioned in this post because a cure for male pattern baldness is, or at least it damn well better be, more likely to come around long before a treatment to make you taller. :wink:

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a very thin line between shaving your head and looking good, and shaving your head and looking like a cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy. And what is that thin line? It's called having color. If not a tan, than at least not pure white. It's the pure-white noggins that look bad. I think that's why black dudes look so good with shaved heads.

So if you shave it, tan it.

G

Greg1 said:
Gees guys, I'm dating myself here but what about Telly Savalas, Yul Brynner? They were bald but not bad looking IMO:)

Kojak was an ugly f****r.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
they cancel each other out, so if you go bald slash your face with a razor blade.