A question for the expert pill takers

the frog

Reaction score
I don't know how I don't have a handle on this pill thing after all the reading I have done. Here are my questions.

1- What is best, proscar or finasteride?

2- Apparently, low doses are effective. How low can I go?

3- What is the best source for buying these meds? Online. I don't have a Doctor, but if getting a perscription means getting a better product from a trusted source I will do it.

4- Thanks
Jeremy

ShedMaster

Reaction score
dude, if you spent more then 5 minutes reading you will find the answers to your questions. Forgive me if I sound rude, but these questions have been answered about 123499382 times.

hardcastle

Reaction score
Hey Jeremy,

(1) Proscar and finasteride are the same substance, finasteride. The only difference is the amount. Proscar is 5mg finasteride, and is used by men with enlarged prostates - they need a higher dose to shrink the prostate. Propecia is 1mg finasteride.

The folks on here taking Proscar are doing it because it's more cost-effective. Propecia's expensive because Merck figures its advertising and R&D costs into the price. Proscar's generic, so you can get more of it for less. Most people cut the 5mg Proscar pill into fourths or fifths, as taking 5mg finasteride per day for hair loss is not considered a good idea. Some doctors won't even prescribe it for hair loss.

(2) The studies I've read have said that there's not much of a difference between 0.2mg finasteride and 1mg finasteride. However, there's still a difference (0.2 inhibits about 20% less DHT, I think, although someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't tell you exactly what this is because it varies from person to person - however, 0.2mg is as low as I've seen it used. I think a good course of action is to start with 1mg and only lower it if you get major side effects, but that's my own strategy.

(3) People have mentioned a couple of different sites. I don't have or know of any bad experiences with these sites, but I'm staying on the safe side - I use CVS.com. I figure the peace of mind I have from knowing I'm getting a legit product makes up for the money I might save if I got my meds from somebody's basement drug lab in Thailand :) I recommend just getting a prescription and buying your meds from a major nationwide pharmacy.

(4) No problem! Good luck with your battle. As you've probably gathered from the commiserating on here, hair loss isn't exactly fun, but there are definitely options now and they're only going to get better. Fight this thing, wait it out, and if you're ever feeling down in the dumps, look up some posts by DarklyCharming in the Follicle Cloning forum. There's hope for the future.

- Dave

the frog

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
dude, if you spent more then 5 minutes reading you will find the answers to your questions. Forgive me if I sound rude, but these questions have been answered about 123499382 times.

You don't sound rude, just scared to answer my brain twisting question.

the frog

Reaction score
hardcastle said:
Hey Jeremy,

(1) Proscar and finasteride are the same substance, finasteride. The only difference is the amount. Proscar is 5mg finasteride, and is used by men with enlarged prostates - they need a higher dose to shrink the prostate. Propecia is 1mg finasteride.

The folks on here taking Proscar are doing it because it's more cost-effective. Propecia's expensive because Merck figures its advertising and R&D costs into the price. Proscar's generic, so you can get more of it for less. Most people cut the 5mg Proscar pill into fourths or fifths, as taking 5mg finasteride per day for hair loss is not considered a good idea. Some doctors won't even prescribe it for hair loss.

(2) The studies I've read have said that there's not much of a difference between 0.2mg finasteride and 1mg finasteride. However, there's still a difference (0.2 inhibits about 20% less DHT, I think, although someone correct me if I'm wrong). I can't tell you exactly what this is because it varies from person to person - however, 0.2mg is as low as I've seen it used. I think a good course of action is to start with 1mg and only lower it if you get major side effects, but that's my own strategy.

(3) People have mentioned a couple of different sites. I don't have or know of any bad experiences with these sites, but I'm staying on the safe side - I use CVS.com. I figure the peace of mind I have from knowing I'm getting a legit product makes up for the money I might save if I got my meds from somebody's basement drug lab in Thailand :) I recommend just getting a prescription and buying your meds from a major nationwide pharmacy.

(4) No problem! Good luck with your battle. As you've probably gathered from the commiserating on here, hair loss isn't exactly fun, but there are definitely options now and they're only going to get better. Fight this thing, wait it out, and if you're ever feeling down in the dumps, look up some posts by DarklyCharming in the Follicle Cloning forum. There's hope for the future.

- Dave

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

nawlins99

Reaction score
dave, you put that as succintly as ive ever seen, nice patience. the shed master is a jerk. if youre new here, LIKE U ONCE WERE, its difficult to find all that info.i get my fincar at 4cornerspharmacy.com. also, cutting them into 4ths is a pain but becomes easier.good luck jeremy.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
gee thanks... yes i was new once, but I did a hell of a lot of reading and research through pasts posts to find answers when I first started out. I guess consistently repetitive questions drive me crazy.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride=proscar=propecia