A Question for Experts on Nutrition/Fitness

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, so back in ~2001-2004 or so I used to be really into bodybuilding/fitness and I looked up what the experts recommended. The guidelines at the time were to take 6-8 small meals a day, to prevent catabolism. It was said that if you went more than a few hours without eating your body would go into starvation mode and cannibalize its muscles. Bodybuilders recommended Cassein protein shakes before bed, because they digest slowly so your muscles are being fed throughout the night.

I recently got back into it, around a year ago, because I was becoming obese. I have noticed that the advice is now the ****ing opposite. People are advocating intermittent fasting, which comes in many varieties (8 hour eating window, 36 hour fast, 48 hour fast, 5-day water fast, etc). People say that this increases muscle by increasing HGH, etc. I have taken up this advice recently and have done two 36-hour fasts in the past two weeks, though I'm worried about how to maintain this when travelling.

My question is, when did the standard advice shift to being the opposite of what it was before? Did communities discussing health realize what a scandal this was?