A possible way to cure baldness... Sonic hedgehog REVIEW

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if science done on a forum means it doesn't work then that must be it.

What do those lazy researchers with their PhDs know about science? Everyone knows that uncontrolled bro-science on forums by people lacking in relevant scientific education is the future.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Sick of "what if...?" articles like this. Just shut the **** up unless you've done serious medical trials with serious results.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
She bases her conclusions of one article which is performed on mice. She totally misses the consensus of multiple research teams. Accumulating evidence with a growing number of studies show a whole different picture of the pathology of Androgenetic Alopecia.

My opinion? She just stumbled upon the article and decided to write about it.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do those lazy researchers with their PhDs know about science? Everyone knows that uncontrolled bro-science on forums by people lacking in relevant scientific education is the future.

Are you being deliberately ignorant?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I could ask you the same question.

So you're not. Interesting.

Why do you ignore the fact that it's been tried before by forum members?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about this.. From what I used to read, it seemed likely that it would regrow hair, however, it is likely not going to anytime soon because this has been running around for a while. Good find though. Hellouser is sort of correct in saying it had been trailed, but scientists could tweak aspects of the treatment that we aren't aware of to make them more critical. I'd keep my eye on setipiprant alone right now because it seems that those people trailing it are getting quick noticeable differences even if minimal. Noticing a reduction in inflammation is HUGE.

Again, good find because its another treatment that disappeared for a while and reappeared with news. Could be promising.

Jaym

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about this.. From what I used to read, it seemed likely that it would regrow hair, however, it is likely not going to anytime soon because this has been running around for a while. Good find though. Hellouser is sort of correct in saying it had been trailed, but scientists could tweak aspects of the treatment that we aren't aware of to make them more critical. I'd keep my eye on setipiprant alone right now because it seems that those people trailing it are getting quick noticeable differences even if minimal. Noticing a reduction in inflammation is HUGE.

Again, good find because its another treatment that disappeared for a while and reappeared with news. Could be promising.

Can't believe that has to be spelled out to people.

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Why do you ignore the fact that it's been tried before by forum members?

Interesting, indeed. Why do you ignore the fact that unqualified forum members haphazardly trying a substance is not comparable to a well designed clinical trial?

How many forum members do you think have access to the necessary equipment, for example, a RT-PCR machine to measure the expression of such a protein?

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd keep my eye on setipiprant alone right now because it seems that those people trailing it are getting quick noticeable differences even if minimal. Noticing a reduction in inflammation is HUGE.
Where have you been reading about results from those trailing setipiprant? I have been looking for logs but not founding any.

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
Already been tried. And not by lazy researchers, but by forum members.

It doesnt work. So there, you dont have to wait 10-15 years of dicking around with mice to know the answer.

What do you mean? Do you have more information?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean? Do you have more information?

Some guys on a private forum got a hold of it. Used it topically. Didn't do anything for them except empty out their bank account. You're all better off trying to figure out what Samumeds compound is made of.

wow-wow

Reaction score
Some guys on a private forum got a hold of it. Used it topically. Didn't do anything for them except empty out their bank account. You're all better off trying to figure out what Samumeds compound is made of.

if you are talking about hhag, than it did a lot.
it gave amazing result of full thickening and total stop of the loss, the only problem was that the result went away very quick after they stopped it, and ofcourse there us serious safety issue.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
So according to this paper we have active stem cells, transit amplifying stem cells and quiescent stem cells in our scalps. Quiescent stem cells cause hair follicle growth. male pattern baldness is caused by the cessation of cell division in quiescent stem cells. And that transit amplifying cells (intermediate undifferentiated daughter cells of active stem cells) are supposed to secrete regulatory factors (Sonic Hedgehog) which causes quiescent stem cells to divide. And that with age the number of active stem cells declines, therefored less transit amplifying cells and less cell division of quiescent cells, no more hair follicle renewal.

So that all sounds fine and dandy. But where does DHT come into all this? If quiescent cell division is the cause of follicle development, and aging (as this paper claims...) causes this cell division to cease in men with male pattern baldness, then why does inhibiting DHT production or blocking DHT follicle receptor sites result in renewal of the hair follicle?

Does DHT directly cause active stem cells to decline? Does it prevent transit amplifying cells from secreting growth factors/regulators? It seems very odd to have a paper on hairloss completely ignore the role of DHT given that all current treatments are currently focused on DHT inhibition...

Then again, I'm not expert on the field, still I wouldn't put too much weight on this paper. There are a lot of terrible, hack scientists out there, as long as they get research funding and papers published, they're not terrible concerned with actual practical results and discoveries. Academia. What a load of bull ****.