Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Like a pre-teen - wispy and vellus

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been discussed many times, and I'd like to see some anecdote about body hair's correlation to male pattern baldness. If anyone has a link to a study on the topic, please post it.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can vote and believe what you want, but there is no correlation. Serum DHT has nothing to do with the tissue DHT that is produced locally at the scalp tissue by the 5AR and that attacks the follicle, biopsy shows that the balding part of the scalp has more 5AR and less aromatase. Why? Nobody knows, and when nobody knows, they all blame it on genetics and come with different theories, but if you take a look at the grand scheme of things, it's clear that genetics plays a role, even if it's not the only one... Take a look at your relatives, it's very rare to go bald if you don't have baldies in the family, there are cases, but very rare, it usually follows the same pattern as your moms dad, his brothers, your dad, his brother, or dads dad or brothers...

That's why there are tons of hairy bald men and tons of non hairy bald men, or very haired men with a bush on their heads also, nothing complicated about this, just the same old people from the internet with their infinite and never ending theories.

And another thing, the body hair only grows from the DHT, because the follicles were there since you were in your mothers womb, that's why some grow beards and some not, that's why some have patches on their back or shoulders, we have aprox 5 million follicles on our bodies, from which 150-200k are on the head, but keep in mind that from these 5 million, a lot are just vellus hair that never get terminal, at least not without some stimulation. DHT helps them to grow, even on the head but as they say, some of them, from the top of the head especially, are sensitive to this DHT, some theorized recently that the other head hairs are not androgen dependent and that's why they don't fall, but it needs more studying before actually proving something...

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
You can vote and believe what you want, but there is no correlation. Serum DHT has nothing to do with the tissue DHT that is produced locally at the scalp tissue by the 5AR and that attacks the follicle, biopsy shows that the balding part of the scalp has more 5AR and less aromatase. Why? Nobody knows, and when nobody knows, they all blame it on genetics and come with different theories, but if you take a look at the grand scheme of things, it's clear that genetics plays a role, even if it's not the only one... Take a look at your relatives, it's very rare to go bald if you don't have baldies in the family, there are cases, but very rare, it usually follows the same pattern as your moms dad, his brothers, your dad, his brother, or dads dad or brothers...

That's why there are tons of hairy bald men and tons of non hairy bald men, or very haired men with a bush on their heads also, nothing complicated about this, just the same old people from the internet with their infinite and never ending theories.

And another thing, the body hair only grows from the DHT, because the follicles were there since you were in your mothers womb, that's why some grow beards and some not, that's why some have patches on their back or shoulders, we have aprox 5 million follicles on our bodies, from which 150-200k are on the head, but keep in mind that from these 5 million, a lot are just vellus hair that never get terminal, at least not without some stimulation. DHT helps them to grow, even on the head but as they say, some of them, from the top of the head especially, are sensitive to this DHT, some theorized recently that the other head hairs are not androgen dependent and that's why they don't fall, but it needs more studying before actually proving something...

It will always be beyond me why people will dislike a objective factual post like this, just because they do not like the reality of the information. I assume that these are the same kind of peope that do not believe in global warming just because it is an agenda point of the left.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice little fun poll. Can you add more options to it though? I don't feel that I fit into any of the options well. I have thick chest and stomach hair (not vellus), but also some random hair on the back and shoulders. Kind of in between.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Most of this is true, but I can't say that I've EVER seen a "non-hairy" bald guy whose hair loss wasn't from some other disorder beyond male pattern baldness. It's just not common. There is likely a statistical correlation. You probably mean there is no evidence of causation/relatedness.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most of this is true, but I can't say that I've EVER seen a "non-hairy" bald guy whose hair loss wasn't from some other disorder beyond male pattern baldness. It's just not common. There is likely a statistical correlation. You probably mean there is no evidence of causation/relatedness.

As you just said, "you can't say that you have EVER seen" and that means that your anecdotal report means nothing without scientific material behind it, and that scientific material matters also how it was made and so on. And this is valid for my anecdotal experiences also, or anybody's else but what i wrote up there is based on facts and years of science and you can find absolutely everything i stated above online with numerous studies sustaining these facts.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It will always be beyond me why people will dislike a objective factual post like this, just because they do not like the reality of the information. I assume that these are the same kind of peope that do not believe in global warming just because it is an agenda point of the left.

Just think of how hard it is to change something about yourself, and i'm not talking physically, and after just imagine how hard it is to change others... You will have all your answers and solutions when you will understand this, it took me a while also and i'm still struggling but the only thing that matters is that i gathered so much information about this things but not only, and it amazes me when i see the amount of misinformation that is spread all over the world, on the internet especially and i'm stupefied how many people just believe things just because lol, i don't even know why. But the experience and information i got compares to nothing and the feeling i have when i see how i dodge dangerous things or misinformation makes me so proud that i didn't follow the herd of sheep, i really can't explain how it feels and how much pressure it relieves from the daily life tasks and experiences in general.

And regarding the dislikes, they do it because i don't agree with their gender changing drugs and extreme cutting balls methods, it's understandable, they are mentally ill, imagine what their minds are telling them, i really pity them and to not accentuate or encourage their mentalities or behaviors i blocked them all, there is no point and nothing good comes out of talking with such people, to try to bring sense into them, to just have a normal conversation, an f*****g simple exchange of truthful and valid information, they are just too emotionally invested and would do anything to grow or keep their hair, regardless of the repercussions or what the future holds based on their extreme decisions, "only hair matters", not even their lives, families, health, bodies, going outside, etc and it's just a waste of time and it's too precious to waste it this way, rather have constructive discussions with real people that have a healthy brain, and a real life if possible and to try to understand that you can't bring sense or logic into a mentally ill person, it's that simple...

Last edited:

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you have to inject politics into everything. This has nothing to do with global warming. I could also say how liberals don't believe in science when it comes to racial differences, but it has no place here.

My man, hitting them where it hurts lol.

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I rarely see a non-hairy bald man. That's just decades of hair-clocking in the locker room; anecdotally, most high NWs more often than not have hairy backs. As for there being no correlation, why is one of finasteride's side effects body hair reduction?

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I rarely see a non-hairy bald man. That's just decades of hair-clocking in the locker room; anecdotally, most high NWs more often than not have hairy backs. As for there being no correlation, why is one of finasteride's side effects body hair reduction?
Well I see it all the time here, I'm in the uk.I have hairy arms and legs but none on my chest or back.I was nw3 with diffuse thinning at 24.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Well, it's kind of logic that if the body hairs growth is mediated by this androgen, that having DHT in you, you will have in your tissues also, head, skin all over the body... Lowering 70% of the circulating body DHT leaves only that 30% and what is produced locally into the tissues but i don't know how many people actually know that is produced locally also, so until someones shows me one scientific evidence that bigger or lower SERUM DHT has an impact on how much hair you have on you or that bigger SERUM DHT is a sign and strongly correlated with baldness, i will stick with what actual science says until then, but you know how it is, everybody is free to believe what they want, there are still some that believe in Santa Claus and in Bigfoot also, who i am to say they don't exist.

I saw tons of people who said that after using finasteride their body and beard hair decreased, but i also saw tons saying it didn't do sh*t to their body and beard hair and that it's at the same thickness and density, so take your conclusions, who do we believe, how does it actually work, does anybody really know or we are just spreading our own opinions, non science based just because we think they are validated by our own perceptions and personal experiences regarding the situation?

And as i said also, the number of hair follicles that you were born with, represents how much hair you will have on your body, hair that goes terminal or remains vellus included, after puberty, when we age, how many their gonna be on the head and how many elsewhere, i saw also in a lot of people that get older that get more hair on them, but it's only my anecdotal report, nobody knows the actual mechanism involved so it's understandable that it's confusing and people come up with a lot of theories, and this is seen in every domain that we don't fully understand...

A well known and reputable university recently discovered that whitening of the hair prematurely is mediated by stress, so wow this came as a shock for the scientific community who had 100000 theories regarding this. More tests are done and maybe and surely with time, we will find more and more new things about this complex independent mini-organ that is called, the hair follicle....

The only way to prove something like this is to take blood tests from everyone, and if the balding men are more hairy and have more SERUM DHT than the non hairy and non balding ones, than it's clear, if not, it means it's not correlated, it's that simple but i'm sure this 10 people poll won't mean nothing...

Last edited:

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
His anecdotal report matters just as much as yours. Can you cite a paper showing there is no correlation? If not, then his hypothesis is just as valid as yours.

There is some correlation with the area of scalp hair loss, and the area of beard growth.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00636601

Quote, " In 100 clean-shaven men direct measurement of the area of glabrous skin on the forehead and calvaria was found to be proportional to that of the hairy skin on the lips, cheeks, chin and neck".

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only way to prove something like this is to take blood tests from everyone, and if the balding men are more hairy and have more SERUM DHT than the non hairy and non balding ones, than it's clear, if not, it means it's not correlated, it's that simple but i'm sure this 10 people poll won't mean nothing...

Did I claim otherwise? Did I say that this poll was going to represent data, and not anecdote? You seem like a really angry guy; it's just the internet - maybe cut back on the black pills?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did I claim otherwise? Did I say that this poll was going to represent data, and not anecdote? You seem like a really angry guy; it's just the internet - maybe cut back on the black pills?

I didn't say you did either, it's clear that you run out of arguments and decided to call me angry for whatever reason. And i am really curious how could you possibly know if someones is angry or not from a clear and very understandable message like the one i wrote. I am as calm as possible and have no reason to be angry, i just like debating stuff like this, especially if i am informed about the subject. No need to take it personally, i think you need a brake from the internet, maybe some real life interactions would help you make a difference between things.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is some correlation with the area of scalp hair loss, and the area of beard growth.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00636601

Quote, " In 100 clean-shaven men direct measurement of the area of glabrous skin on the forehead and calvaria was found to be proportional to that of the hairy skin on the lips, cheeks, chin and neck".

"In 100 clean-shaven men" ok dude, let's be serious lol, i admit it's better than anecdotal reports and i find it interesting, i never heard or stumbled up this article but it's just a poor conducted study on 100 men and it's supporting a hypothesis which they also admit it "These results support the hypothesis that male baldness is a thermoregulatory compensation for the growth of a beard in adults."

Not to mention btw, Published: January 1988 ... No comment, as i said, everybody is free to believe what they want.

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't say you did either, it's clear that you run out of arguments and decided to call me angry for whatever reason.

I didn't "run out of arguments," because I wasn't arguing with you; you're the one who wrote a dissertation on the poll, when I clearly stated that it was purely anecdotal ("I'd like to see some anecdote"). So why do I think you're an angry guy? Because every one of your replies has been a multi-paragraph screed. You're quarrelsome, and quarrelsome people tend to be angry, which is why they turn casual conversation into heated debates - they can't help but vent their repressed anger every chance they get.

Last reply I'm writing you - negative people feed off of confrontation, and I'm not falling for your thread-jacking anger. Carry on with your one-sided debated.

Last edited:

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't "run out of arguments," because I wasn't arguing with you; you're the one who wrote a dissertation on the poll, when I clearly stated that it was purely anecdotal ("I'd like to see some anecdote"). So why do I think you're an angry guy? Because every one of your replies has been a multi-paragraph screed. You're quarrelsome, and quarrelsome people tend to be angry, which is why they turn casual conversation into heated debates - they can't help but vent their repressed anger every chance they get.

Lmao, nice over the internet diagnosis doctor. What can i say, you got me, even if i bought arguments on why i wrote so much and told you that you are wrong and that i'm not angry actually. When you have information, it's kind of hard to share it into a one small one line message and in the same time, i really would like you to enlighten me of your diagnosis strength and margin of error, what percentages are we talking about here?

How do you make a difference between an angry one and one that just likes to debate and share information, especially if that information is comprehensive?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last reply I'm writing you - negative people feed off of confrontation, and I'm not falling for your thread-jacking anger. Carry on with your one-sided debated.

Lmao, no worries mate, i was just having a conversation, no need to be upset that not everybody agrees with you, if they don't agree with your perception or mentality does not really mean they are "negative", they just don't fit into your narrative that you want to strengthen with this poll, nothing more, you already came with your mind set up because of your own anecdotal experience and everything that won't fit that mindset will be automatically dismissed, we are used to these kind of things here don't worry, carry on

Last edited: