A note to anyone starting minoxidil.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you might have read complaints of dry, itchy, flaking, or even red scalps after starting minoxidil, and been intimidated by this. From personal experience, I can tell you that, for some people, the issue of brand-name versus generic DOES make a big difference.

I've been on minoxidil for 19 months. When I started, I began straight away with generic, CVS brand 5%. There were a few months of flaking and slight itchiness, but nothing drastic. A few months ago, I went to buy more, and all the store had left was brand-name Rogaine, which I had never used. Since it's supposed to be identical, I got it. Immediately, I got the worst dandruff I've ever had. Anti-flaking shampoos didn't help. The flaking was relentless and the itching was pretty bad. I dropped the stuff altogether for a month, and then got back on generic. No problems at all.

I cannot think of any explanation for this, since the ingredients lists on the two products were identical. The itchiness would logically be caused by a higher alcohol content, but the amounts given on both bottles were the same. Despite this, there is clearly some kind of difference between Rogaine and at least one generic brand--CVS. I can't speak for RiteAid or Kirkland.
I have no idea if this has any effect on how effective the stuff is on your hair, but I wanted to make people aware that, due to small, unacknowledged ingredients differences (most likely in the alcohol content, despite what the bottles say), one company's minoxidil might be rough on your scalp while another might be much gentler.
Everyone is different, of course, but I think people should be aware of this possibility.

Lanza

Reaction score
I went from rogaine to a generic and the itching stopped. Unfortunately the shedding continued :cry:

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Lance: You, too? Well that confirms it in my mind. I just want to know why this is totally not indicated on the ingredients lists.

ACTIONpack: I have a crushing, crippling confession to make. Bearing my soul, here it is....

I don't get it.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna be bumping this every now and then, trying to anticipate someone asking a question about this.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont know what "CVS" is, but its generally accepted that Costco Kirkland Minoxidil is actually repackaged Rogain.

FYI.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
flux, where are you from? I'm from New York state, where there can be found many outlets of a chain pharmacy called CVS. I'd assumed it was a national chain, but perhaps not?

Or are you not from the US?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jaygee said:
flux, where are you from? I'm from New York state, where there can be found many outlets of a chain pharmacy called CVS. I'd assumed it was a national chain, but perhaps not?

Or are you not from the US?
Check my location, mate. I'm from sunny California. :wink: There is no CVS here. We have Rite Aid and Wallgreens. Wallgreens has its own Generic Minoxidil too, and I have heard off things about it (greasy, etc). Costco Kirkland Minoxidil is good stuff, and only $5 a bottle when you buy it there.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
We have Wallgreens and RiteAid here, too, but New York City is absolutely stuffed with a chain called Duane Reade. I swear to God, midtown Manhattan has one every two blocks or so. Locally, it's like the McDonald's of the pharmacy world.

And the bums don't even carry generic 5% minoxidil. Rogaine or nothin'! :-x

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dr. lee's minoxidil rocks.

Shogun

Reaction score
Hi newb here. I too experience a horrible case of dry itchy scalp with rogaine. Chunks of dry skin comes off if i scratch it...
I'm running out of rogaine, so I will either buy something from Dr. Lee's or the generic from CVS. (I'm from nyc too).

currently doing some research on what is best from Dr Lee

G

Dr Lee's Product Number 500 Standard Minoxidil.

This is the fast drying stuff (less PPG than Rogaine)