A New Subtype Of Lichen Planopilaris Affecting Vellus Hairs And Clinically Mimicking Androgenetic Alopecia

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Source:
Dermatologic Surgery: Official Publication For American Society For Dermatologic Surgery [Et Al.] [Dermatol Surg] 2016 Oct; Vol. 42 (10), pp. 1174-80.
Publication Type:
Journal Article
Language:
English
Journal Info:
Publisher: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins Country of Publication: United States NLM ID: 9504371 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 1524-4725 (Electronic) Linking ISSN: 10760512 NLM ISO Abbreviation: Dermatol Surg Subsets: In Process; MEDLINE
Imprint Name(s):
Publication: 2014- : Hagerstown, MD Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
Original Publication: New York, NY : Elsevier Science, c1995-
Abstract:
Background: Lichen planopilaris (LPP) is a follicular variant of lichen planus. A new subtype of LPP mimicking androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) may be misdiagnosed. Inappropriate medical therapy or hair transplantation may exacerbate this subtype.
Objective: To introduce clinicopathologic findings of a new subtype of LPP that selectively affects vellus hair in the pattern of Androgenetic Alopecia.
Materials and Methods: In a cross-sectional study, 433 (66.6%) men and 217 (33.4%) women with alopecia who were candidates of medical treatment or hair transplantation were included. Gross and microscopic attributes of their diseases were investigated.
Results: Among the total of 650 patients, 58 (8.9%; 95% confidence interval, 6.7%-11.1%) patients, including 52 women and 6 men, had LPP. We identified a distinct category of LPP presenting with diffuse hair loss in the pattern of Androgenetic Alopecia with predominant terminal hair, significant decrease in vellus hair, and minute punctuate scars in histopathology. Vellus hair follicles were the main sites of involvement. Perifollicular fibrosis and mild fibrosis with lichenoid lymphocytic infiltration around infundibular area of vellus hair follicles were present.
Conclusion: There is a new form of LPP with clinical features similar to Androgenetic Alopecia. This form is histopathologically similar to LPP but selectively affects vellus hair follicles.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could this be the cause of the elusive bald itch?

Morning Norwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hold up, do non-balding scalps also have vellus hairs ?? I had assumed that, as far as scalp hair is concerned, vellus is result of follicle miniaturization.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hold up, do non-balding scalps also have vellus hairs ?? I had assumed that, as far as scalp hair is concerned, vellus is result of follicle miniaturization.

I thought the whole idea was that hairs start off vellus and then develop to become terminal, but you have a good point.

Man, now I'm scared that I have LPP, particularly since it means you'll probably never get your hair back, you can't even get a transplant!

Last edited: