A Method For Culturing And Expanding Epithelial Hf Stem Cells

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair follicle stem cell cultures reveal self‐organizing plasticity of stem cells and their progeny

Carlos Andrés Chacón‐Martínez, Markus Klose, Catherin Niemann, Ingmar Glauche, Sara A Wickström

Published online 09.12.2016

Understanding how complex tissues are formed, maintained, and regenerated through local growth, differentiation, and remodeling requires knowledge on how single‐cell behaviors are coordinated on the population level. The self‐renewing hair follicle, maintained by a distinct stem cell population, represents an excellent paradigm to address this question. A major obstacle in mechanistic understanding of hair follicle stem cell (HFSC) regulation has been the lack of a culture system that recapitulates HFSC behavior while allowing their precise monitoring and manipulation. Here, we establish an in vitro culture system based on a 3D extracellular matrix environment and defined soluble factors, which for the first time allows expansion and long‐term maintenance of murine multipotent HFSCs in the absence of heterologous cell types. Strikingly, this scheme promotes de novo generation of HFSCs from non‐HFSCs and vice versa in a dynamic self‐organizing process. This bidirectional interconversion of HFSCs and their progeny drives the system into a population equilibrium state. Our study uncovers regulatory dynamics by which phenotypic plasticity of cells drives population‐level homeostasis within a niche, and provides a discovery tool for studies on adult stem cell fate.

graphic-1.gif

An advanced in vitro culture system allows for enrichment and long‐term maintenance of multipotent mouse hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs), recapitulating key features of their in vivo regulation.

• Combination of a 3D extracellular matrix environment and defined soluble components (FGF‐2, VEGF‐A, ROCK inhibitor Y27632) facilitates long‐term propagation of HFSCs.

• HFSC expansion can be achieved from purified HFSCs as well as from total or HFSC‐depleted epidermal cell mixtures.

• Cultured HFSCs retain multipotency, self‐renewal potential, and transcriptional identity.

• Bidirectional interconversion of cultured HFSCs driven by BMP and Shh pathways leads to self‐organization into a dynamic equilibrium between HFSCs and their progeny.
Full text here.

:cool:

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rofler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What does that mean? Did they cultured epithelial cells? What is that "HFSC"? And if yes can you make a quote on that fact?

Does that method applie to human?

Also page said:

• Received May 30, 2016.
  • Revision received November 1, 2016.
  • Accepted November 8, 2016.

So this is should be old article from May.

Last edited:

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so this finding gonna help and take hair loss cure to an another level, right??
XD:)
nice catch @InBeforeTheCure

Yes, culturing and expanding epithelial HFSCs is important for approaches using hair cloning, such as Tsuji's method. From an interview of someone working with Tsuji:

Mr. Toyoshima: For applications of our technology, both mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells, which are applicable to human clinical applications, are needed. With respect to the development of the technology to cultivate mesenchymal stem cells, that is papilla cells, being applicable to human clinical trials, we are already in progress now for development. On the other hand, as for the technology to cultivate epithelial stem cells of follicles, it still remains a significant challenge globally. We are currently in the middle of research and development for this. Based on our recent research results, we finally have some prospects and expect this issue to be resolved in the near future.

What does that mean? Did they cultured epithelial cells? What is that "HFSC"? And if yes can you make a quote on that fact?

HFSCs = hair follicle stem cells

They cultured a mix of HFSCs (expressing the bulge stem cell marker Cd34; See Fig. 3) and more differentiated epithelial HF cells (which don't express Cd34). They also found that each type can be converted to the other.

Does that method applie to human?

Hopefully.

So this is should be old article from May.

The journal accepted it in May, but it wasn't published until a few days ago.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What does "express Cd34" mean?

It means they could detect high levels of RNA transcribed from the gene Cd34 in those cells. Since other types of epithelial cells don't have this characteristic, they can tell the difference between the stem cells and other epithelial cells.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They cultured a mix of HFSCs (expressing the bulge stem cell marker Cd34; See Fig. 3) and more differentiated epithelial HF cells (which don't express Cd34). They also found that each type can be converted to the other.

Thank you for making that clear. Google didn't really help me in that regard.

As Tsujis team is culturing human mesenchymal HFSCs he seems to be already a step ahead.

But it's great to see this paper. If you see water shoot through more and more holes in the dam you know that a breakthrough is immanent.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It means they could detect high levels of RNA transcribed from the gene Cd34 in those cells. Since other types of epithelial cells don't have this characteristic, they can tell the difference between the stem cells and other epithelial cells.
Not sure if you'll have the answer to this but just for my own knowledge... If researchers publish papers like this are our researchers free to use their methods or would they have to ask for permission under a patent?

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if you'll have the answer to this but just for my own knowledge... If researchers publish papers like this are our researchers free to use their methods or would they have to ask for permission under a patent?
yep same question from here will it be under a patent or others can use it?

Last edited:

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That it's published means that it has been funded by the public. So the reasearch has not been done in a company but in an university.
The results are as well public and other scientists are encouraged to redo the experiments and use the knowledge.

This modell leads to much faster progress. For example we would be much further in hair loss research if Aderans hadn't taken it's knowledge about the same topic to the grave. However public research is funded largely by taxes and therefore not very popular. Tsujis' research on mouse hair regeneration is as well public, only the research on human hair is secret, because they want to market it.