Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Iron

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Zinc

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Options123

Reaction score
Since I am a newbie I figured I would try to post something useful instead of just asking for help. :)

I just looked up the most prolific posters on the top 4 Hair Loss Boards to see which non-finasteride solutions they use. I looked at their profiles or signatures to see their regimes. All people had over 1500+ posts on the boards. I assumed these people were the most knowledgable on what works and does not work. I took a sample of about 35 of these people. Here is what I found...

Minoxidil/Rogaine: 24
Nizoral: 9
Biotin: 8
ru58841: 3
Revita: 3
MSM: 3
Zinc: 2
Iron: 2
Vitamin-D: 2
Retin-A: 2
spironolactone/S5: 2
Nioxin: 1
Tricomin: 1
Folligen: 1
Derma-roller: 1
Saw Palmetto: 1

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
All of those are either mediocre or useless except RU. Not even close to as good as finasteride

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
just long enough to champion RU and rubbish everything else then :jackit:

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then why you swear by it?
Because el duterino used RU and only RU for years and maintained all his hairs, and he is a very trustworthy user. Also and studies showed it worked in transplanted hair in mice but the studies were discontinued probably because of efficacy but clearly showed it worked well. It's method of action of blocking androgen receptors is very good. I never tell people it is a very good treatment only that it is likely the best out of all the topicals by a large margin and may or may not be as effective as propecia. I only recommend it for people who absolutely do not want to take a oral DHT inhibitor fr any reason, or for people who did not see results from finasteride alone. I don't champion things because of my own experiences with them I just say what is implied by any studies I read and logical arguments from respected users

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Instead of telling you which ones worked well for me (b/c I am going through a shedding right now), I will describe my experience with each product. I've tried most of the things that are on the list except ru, revita, and spironolactone. minoxidil definitely helps with hair growth, but not hair loss. Same goes for biotin. Nizoral is kinda iffy and I haven't used it consistently. MSM... I have no idea if this thing works. I am still going through a major shed even though I am taking 1g everyday. I am going to bump it up to 3g/day and see if that makes any difference. Zinc is debatable. I just started iron, so can't comment on that. Saw dalmetto berries did not help or harm, but SP extract caused crazy shedding. I've used a product that's similar to revita and experienced massive shedding.

TL DR - use biotin and minoxidil for hair growth, but they will not eradicate hair loss. MSM might work in higher dosage. SP extract caused major shedding.