A hair cure may be on it's way!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
It's hard to type with my fingers crossed so that will have to wait as I've a quick question about this hair loss cure (none of us here need a cure for hair). How do we keep the mice in position? Aren't they going to run all over the place unless you staple them down or something, or are you meant to skin them and glue this to your head? Sounds like a glorified toupee if you ask me.

Slarti

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finally , they are working on something useful !!!

I cant wait for the results

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The last "cure" that stem cell research came up with caused 75% of the human patients to die of a rare leukemia.

Dont get your hopes up.

HairyBalding

Reaction score
Thinning said:
The last "cure" that stem cell research came up with caused 75% of the human patients to die of a rare leukemia.

Dont get your hopes up.

Got a link on that? What was the condition they were trying to cure?

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sterm cell will not be use on humans until 10 years from now. So there will be sometime before a cure or a better way to get full hair.

G

Thinning said:

Dont get your hopes up.

OMG what lame fuxking thing to write - you can´t compare the various tissue specifik stemcells. Bonemarrow transplants are infact stemcells that are being transplanted and it has worked for more then 2 decades.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some guy had stem cell used to grow a jaw bone in his back. He hadnt eaten solid food for 9 years and had the bone transplanted to his jaw and is now eatttting solid foods. I think this is something that will get bigger and bigger, who knows, it may be a few years but I can feel a solution is on its way!

Tony

Koala

Reaction score
090204_f.jpg

look at his little fuzzy *** now... =D

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great news and great post. Thank you. But I have a question. My apologies in advance if this question is somewhat naive.

If stem cells differentiate to become similar to the cells that surround them, and they are injected into areas of the scalp affected by alopecia (baldness), then wouldn't these stem cells turn into hair follicles that are ALSO prone to the demise of dht? In other words, wouldn't they become hair follicles with, say, the same ticking time bomb as the hairs that we are losing now?

Or will these stem cells, once isolated, be cultured into complete hair follicles that are on the sides of our heads, and therefore not susceptible to alopecia? The articles imply that they were injected straight into the hairless mice after multiplied in the lab (but without turning into differentiated hair follicle cells).

Even if the stem cells do turn into hairs with a "ticking time bomb", it might just mean getting an "injection of stem cells" every 20 years or so.

The future does look bright.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks... but actually, I woke up this morning, and I think I can answer my own question.

Since those bald mice didn't have any hair follicles to begin with, and the stem cells taken from mice WITH hair grew hair on those bald mice, then the stem cells obviously didn't turn into the same type of cells as the surrounding "bald" cells. Instead they went on to generate hairs.

So that is reason to believe that stem cells take from the follicles on the sides of our heads will turn into those same follicles that are NOT susceptible to dht, even though their surrounding cells, on our balding scalps, were/are susceptible to dht to begin with.

I think that's how it works. I asked the original question because I thought I read once that stem cells become whatever their surrounding cells are, once they are implanted/grafted. Anyway, here's for hoping. Still the clostest step toward a cure that I can think of. Great article. It really gives me hope.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry I was thinking of gene therapy. Got kinda mixed up.

They cured a disease with gene therapy, I think it was the "bubble boy" disease but most of them died of leukemia within 2 years.

Not sure how I got that confised with stem cells, whatever.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back and clarifying. Very rare around these parts, but very cool.

I would also like to see an article on the case you are talking about, if you ever find one.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the link consolidating . Good post and I can't read this post enough . Lets keep an eye out for human trial participants needed posts by these labs . I'm on the list regardless if I start growing hair all over my face , I'll just shave around my eye balls and spike the rest .

Berserk

Reaction score
It would be pretty funny if it grew hair all over ones face, but not on the scalp. On second thought, it really isn't funny.