A Friend Of Mine Took His Own Life A Few Days Ago..

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not saying it was because of hair loss, but after being on this forum for awhile and seeing how many guys feel about it, I can't help but think it had at least a small part in his reasoning behind doing it.

He was into body building and was in great shape though.. I remember him posting a picture on FB several months back that was in unflattering lighting and somebody commented on his picture saying "Dude are you going bald".. I remember getting pissed at the guy for saying something like that, especially on social media for everyone to see. I went back later and the comment was removed. I don't know if my friend deleted it or the guy thought better of it and deleted it, but I know that comment had to hurt.

He was such a good guy.. I'm going to miss him. Like I said, I don't know the full reasons behind him taking his own life, but I know hairloss had to hurt him on the inside at least to some degree.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Damn.
How old was he?
What method did he use for the suicide?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Too young. Too young :(
RIP.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
It's crazy how brutal life can be sometimes.. how it can sway someone to kill themselves to escape it. You can try not giving a f***, but that's easier said than done.

Sometimes it's about a brutal life. Oftentimes however, it's because people get caught up in a bad mental loop and kill themselves. I was in a bad place mentally in my 20s. No HairLossTalk.com for therapy. No downloadable tv series for escape. Often considered suicide. What helped me cope was the realization that I could choose when to kill myself -- it need not be that day, that week. I even went and added how to suicide books to my cart on amazon. So it wasn't a decision on whether I should kill myself or not; it became a decision on whether I should kill myself that week.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not a religious person, I'm what you would call agnostic. I'm not sure what secrets the universe has. I've always been doubtful/skeptical about the concept of heaven and hell. Losing a good friend like him makes me wish and hope an afterlife is real, so that I may see him again. I'd hate for that to just be it. Then again, if it so happened to be real, suicide isn't looked kindly on in religious doctrine.

Sorry for the spiel. I know this isn't Spiritual Loss Talk. It's just made me think a lot.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not a religious person, I'm what you would call agnostic. I'm not sure what secrets the universe has. I've always been doubtful/skeptical about the concept of heaven and hell.

My thoughts exactly.

I think the idea falls flat on it's face by simple things; when grandma dies, do I see her in heaven as age 90? Wouldn't she want to be 20?

As an agnostic person the only possibility I can think of is that there is such a thing as the energy of the soul, that in another life we are represented by ourselves with relation to one another, as an entity of spiritual energy. There's no anthropomorphic being.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
If you find someone who is depressed and thinking of suicide,
Do help him to move out of depression.
Do not worry whether something wrong would happen from your side if things go opposite of what you said.

An Idea of Suicide cannot be put in to a person,established fact in Psychiatry.so don't worry and try to make him accept the problem and make him/her ready to face the problem with any fear by helping them.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hear you on that, Saurabhaj.. the problem is, it's too late to help him. The deed is done.

He's the first person I personally knew to commit suicide in my life.. It's a rare occurance, at least in my life. Also, I suspect that people delving into thoughts of it aren't going to tell many people, if anybody (At least in the West) The main reason I'd assume being the fear of looking fragile.. Second being the fear of telling the wrong person and having it used against them in some passive way, or looked at as an unstable person. Dat pride yo.. Tis a motherfucker.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only person who I have known in my adult years to commit suicide was a very very smart person of 35. He was NW4 and borderline obese. He was very sweet but it was evident he did not have the character to withstand what he reported as a constant rejection from the opposite sex.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I'm not saying it was because of hair loss, but after being on this forum for awhile and seeing how many guys feel about it, I can't help but think it had at least a small part in his reasoning behind doing it.

He was into body building and was in great shape though.. I remember him posting a picture on FB several months back that was in unflattering lighting and somebody commented on his picture saying "Dude are you going bald".. I remember getting pissed at the guy for saying something like that, especially on social media for everyone to see. I went back later and the comment was removed. I don't know if my friend deleted it or the guy thought better of it and deleted it, but I know that comment had to hurt.

He was such a good guy.. I'm going to miss him. Like I said, I don't know the full reasons behind him taking his own life, but I know hairloss had to hurt him on the inside at least to some degree.

So very sorry to hear about your friend... And damn, what a nasty comment from that guy. If I recieved a comment like that I'd be devastated. It must have hurt your friend a lot, but like you say - the true reason(s) for his suicide are unknown. Hair loss may have played a part, or even been his main issue - that wouldn't surprise me. I myself was suicidal for long before I started on my antidepressants. I don't know if I would have been alive today if it wasn't for them.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I've known two guys who committed suicide in their late 20's.

I even posted about one of them here.

Both of them were NW6 and had been balding since their late teens.

Probably a coincidence.

Feso84u.gif

Very telling - hair loss is a disease of the mind which f-cks people up. I don't blame anyone who chooses to end their life because of hair loss. In fact it takes one strong warrior to handle it. Of course I wish that nobody takes their own life, but at the same time I understand why they would feel so depressed.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few years ago one of my best friends from elementary school committed suicide as well. Nothing do with anything 'vain' though... his wife left him, started messing around with other guys.. essentially said his life wasnt worth it without her and killed himself. His mom found him dead at home in his bedroom.

It got me thinking though; if his wife was treating him terribly, his life wasnt worth it WITH her. But I suppose it was too much for him to go through (I think most of us have been through some heart ache) and he couldnt take it anymore.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Sometimes it's about a brutal life. Oftentimes however, it's because people get caught up in a bad mental loop and kill themselves. I was in a bad place mentally in my 20s. No HairLossTalk.com for therapy. No downloadable tv series for escape. Often considered suicide. What helped me cope was the realization that I could choose when to kill myself -- it need not be that day, that week. I even went and added how to suicide books to my cart on amazon. So it wasn't a decision on whether I should kill myself or not; it became a decision on whether I should kill myself that week.

Sorry to hear that, Captain. But I'm glad you decided to stick around. I was sincerely considering suicide myself, but what stopped me was that I got scared of dying and chickened out. I wanted to die, badly, but I was not strong enough to go through with it. Then I started on antidepressants and I no longer want to kill myself.

FootyStar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very telling - hair loss is a disease of the mind which f-cks people up. I don't blame anyone who chooses to end their life because of hair loss. In fact it takes one strong warrior to handle it. Of course I wish that nobody takes their own life, but at the same time I understand why they would feel so depressed.

I think for some hair loss can be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

They may already be dealing with mental and possibly other health issues. Then hair loss hits and they get treated worse as a result (reduced emotional support from others, platitudes etc) which backs them into a corner from which there is seemingly no escape.

I've been there myself and it sucks.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've known two guys who committed suicide in their late 20's.

I even posted about one of them here.

Both of them were NW6 and had been balding since their late teens.

Probably a coincidence.

Feso84u.gif

Definitely not a coincidence.. My buddy wasn't an NW6 though.. He was an NW2.5 receding into NW3 territory and had fine blonde hair. In some lighting, it did not look good, in some it didn't look so bad. He had his qualities.. I wish I would have seen this coming. I thought about giving him advice on his hair a couple of times, but broaching that subject is so damn iffy. Even in hindsight, I don't know if I still would have. He had other problems too.. It wasn't all hairloss. He was close to his dad who tragically passed a couple of years ago to name one. He was never the same after that.

I wonder if he ever looked into finasteride.. being into body building, the thought of reducing DHT may have scared him off.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this coming.

Suicide is often (like in this case) such an improbable occurrence that we can't really see it coming. All we can do is be on the look out for depression, but depressed people are often very good at hiding what is really going on in their heads (case in point most of the people on this forum). Especially men, we become very good at putting on a mask when we interact with the outside world. And even if you see signs of depression, it's not like we men are socially encouraged to talk about our feelings.

Anyone remember Dr House and the episode where the doctor killed himself?