A few questions from a newb

Screamin J

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. First off, I'd like to thank those of you who bothered to read this :) You see, as of late I've been concerned with my hair. I think I may be thinning on top, although I'm not positive. I've always been told I have lots of cowlicks in the crown area and right now my hair is moderately long and shaggy (kind of like a Beatles hairdo) so it's hard for me to tell. By the way, I'm 22. Anyways, on to my questions...

1. Who should I see about my hair concerns? Would a family doctor or dermatologist be a better choice? I was originally thinking of seeing my family doctor but the doctor is a female. Is it wrong to think that a male would know more about male pattern baldness?

2. I've been researching Propecia and Rogaine and from what I've heard many people experience shedding. Will everyone on these drugs experience shedding? I'd hate to make my possible current situation any worse.

Once again, thanks for reading. I'm really stressed out about this whole situation and I'd like to address it as soon as possible (if I even have a problem to address, that is). Any output would be very much appreciated :)

amthello

Reaction score
Hi

so to answer your queries I would;

1. Go to a dermatologist and get your scalp examined. If you feel more comfortable with a male doctor, go for it. You must be at ease with your doctor!

2. If you don't wont to go to any doctors, simply cut you hair short (hair crew cut, ceasar cut etc).. or better shave your head! you will see the extent (if any) of your hairloss.

3. I am the same age as you are.. If you are receding from your temples that maybe just a mature hairline. If not, and you are thinning on top... the best option would be Propecia (finasteride).. I am on it (may experience some sides in the beginning like usual fatigue but nothing to worry about as they disappeared). But IMPORTANT.. Propecia is more effective the sooner you start on it. So don't wait..

4. I did shed quite a bit after 4 months (an trust me it can be very depressing) but now it is ok.. I dont use Minoxidil so cant advice you on that.

5. Stress can lead to accelerate hairloss.. So take it easy. :D

Good luck man
We are all on the same boat here!
cheers

Screamin J

Reaction score
amthello,

Thanks for answering! I'm going to make a visit to the derm asap. I'll let him check out my scalp so I don't have to shave my head.

You said you experienced shedding on propecia, but things are ok now. Will the hair thats shed grow back? Thanks again for your advice.

Also, today I just purchased a 100% natural DHT blocker from the local supplement shop (looks like it consists of zinc, selenium, phytosterol complex, saw palmetto extract, pumpkin extract, quercetin, he shou wu powdered extract, kudzu extract, isoflavones and tomato powder.)

It says it's for advanced hair loss and excessively thinning hair soI'm a little nervous to start taking it... is it possible that a product like this will make me shed, or is that just a side effect of minoxidil and finasteride?