a few questions before i start my regimen

screwdht

Reaction score
hi everyone. im new to the boards but have been browsing here probably for around 2 years. I just turned 19, and my hair has been thinning since about 16. I was on a generic proscar (1.25mg ED) for about a year but then when the refill expired, i never got around to getting a new prescription. its been about 7 months since then and i NEED to get back on it.
Anyway i have a few questions, im sorry if theyve been answered but i tried searching the forums and couldnt find anything.

first, i havn't decided if i want to start minoxidil yet. is the walgreens liquid minoxidil actually the same thing, and will it always be there since otherwise it would be very expensive? and should i start it right away with finasteride or wait a while first?

second, i've been using nizoral 1% for a while, and was wondering if it was ok if i used it every day, and then conditioned, since it doesn't bother my scalp at all.

and lastly, does anyone know how much the generic proscar 5mg costs now? its been so long i have completely forgotten, and my dad used to pay for it for me.
thanks for reading this.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Did you lose much hair from dropping propecia?

Walgreens one is fine, generic is exactly the same stuff as upjohn's rogain.

Whether you should get on both is down to how much hair you have lost and how much you want to get back, personally i'd just get on the finasteride again first, you can always add minoxidil later if needed.

Not sure if it's a good idea to use nizoral everyday, but if you tolerate well and have no side effects then maybe not so bad.

screwdht

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I havn't really lost a lot of hair since going off of finasteride, but my hair has definitely gotten thinner (i have diffuse thinning) and my hairline is weaker. I think i am gonna wait at least 6 months-a year before i start minoxidil, if i want it. As for the nizoral, it doesnt irritate my scalp at all or anything, and it makes my hair look thicker. It seems like the more you use it the better it would be for male pattern baldness if your scalp can handle it doesn't it?