A few questions before I commence battle...

drinkrum

Reaction score
Read below, corrected the typos -- it's too fuckin' early in the morn'.

mr_sparkle said:
thanks it's good to see people responding to ignorant newbies questions at least! I will definately read up!

one quick question that does worry me though:

Spoke to my doctor who's reccomending me to a tricologist again (I originally saw one about a year and a half ago and was told I wasn't balding) and she said Propecia/Proscar is used to treat prostate enlargement.

Does this mean that by using the product my prostates will shrink? that's something that confuses me. Or is it only if you use the full dosage of proscar?

Yes, your prostate will shrink.

The active ingredient in Propecia is finasteride, just as it is in Proscar. The difference is that Proscar contains 5mg of finasteride whereas Propecia contains 1mg. Proscar has been used for more than one or two decades in treating BPH (an enlargement fo the prostate). It achieves this by reducing serum levels of DHT (by inhibiting the 5-AR II enzyme which converts testosterone into DHT). This same process also helps treat baldness (male pattern baldness) in the form of Propecia.

Now, about birthing. In the beginning, Merck issued a warning with every bottle of Propecia that it could cause pregnancy complications if the fetus was male as finasteride can be found in semen. However, they quickly rescinded their warning after conducting a battery of tests and realizing it would take an inordinate amount of semen to produce enough finasteride to actually affect anything. To this end, I know of several posters who have fathered normal boys while on finasteride. And if you're paranoid, you can get off finasteride for 2 weeks prior to trying to conceive.

Clear?

D.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
how much will they shrink? I don't want them to become hilariously small - Im satisfied with what I got down there but you know is it that noticeable?

Seeing the trichologist tomorrow hopefully I'll get a free hair transplant and side-effect free propecia and my life will actually be half worth living! :D