A few questions before I commence battle...

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep. I'm 19 and although i've been thinning for a year or two now i(purely on top - hairline is fine) it's hit me that I've gotta do something about it and the problem won't go away so I am gonna do whatever it takes to beat male pattern baldness. Be it Regaine, Propexia, Transplant, whatever. But there are a few questions I'm hoping you regulars could help me with. I know you probably get it all the time but I'd really be grateful if you could help me, especially the younger ppl from the UK as I am one of them!

I'm kinda sh*t scared about using propexia because it seems to mess about totally with my hormones and it worries me. Just how badly does it affect your libido? Sometimes I read your dick goes lifeless, sometimes I read it's only temporary, sometimes i read it's harmless etc etc. Is it really noticeable? My biggest fear as well is possibly affecting my future children - is there any proof that it could harm offspring, or is it proven to be harmless?

If i decide (or a doctor) decides Propexia isn't for me (remember im still only 19) can Regaine be used on it's own or is it pointless and will you need Propexia with it?

Another possibility on top of the treatments is that concealer Toppik thing. Is that actually any good? It comes in colours but does it kinda adapt so it can be inbetween dark brown/black or light brown/blonde. Does it mean you can still spike your hair if you want or do u need it flat?

I'd really appreciate some help. My hairline is fine it's just my crown it's been thinning very gradually. There isn't any real bald spot just yet though but i have noticed it getting worse now and i gotta stop it. I'm not expecting a completely full head of hair but just knowing I can improve it or at least stop it getting any worse is enough. Being bald in the future is something I cannot comprehend.

Something itneresting btw is I've never noticed any shed. No noticeable loss of hair in the shower or on my pillow or anything - occasionally the odd one falling out if i run my hands through wet hair but that's it. Does that make a difference.

thanks all.

G

Propecia can be very effective. So can minoxidil.

Start using minoxidil 5%( Rogaine extra strength)
Nizoral shampoo
add a topical DHT inhibitor ( crinagen/ revivogen)

If you find this not working, I would say add propecia.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll second that. Not sure how well the topical DHT inhibitors work, but I'd at least give minoxidil a go for a while, as long as you can get away with using it alone. If things start to worsen after time, I'd add propecia, but don't stop minoxidil!

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm prepared to use propexia most definately but not if it's really gonna do much harm. Lots of ppl seem to say it's ok though.

My hair is pretty damn thin though I just style it well so maybe propexia is right.

One other question - the shred - does this mean your thinness will be significantly more noticeable? How long does it last - if it takes a while and your hair looks a lot worse is wearing a hat ok or is it not reccomended?

Also is it safe to dye hair once its grown back (using a cap so as to hit bleach the skalp?)

crayola

Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
One other question - the shred - does this mean your thinness will be significantly more noticeable? How long does it last - if it takes a while and your hair looks a lot worse is wearing a hat ok or is it not reccomended?

Also is it safe to dye hair once its grown back (using a cap so as to hit bleach the skalp?)

You may not even have a shed, and to the extent you might shed is unknown. While some people say they shed so much they can notice a loss of density I did not. I noticed an increase in the shower drain for a couple months and then it stopped. It didn't worry or bother me at all. But if you do shed it would be fine if you wore a hat.

I'm in the school of thought that dying hair is perfectly fine as long as you don't over do it. I don't understand what you meant by "(using a cap so as to hit bleach the skalp?)". The more permenant the dye you use the more harsh it is on your hair, so a semi permenant dye is less harsh than a permenant one. If you use permenant color don't redye more than once a month to avoid damage and use a good conditioner if you do dye your hair. I've never used bleach so I don't know the particulars on it, though it can be hard on hair if overdone. Again, using a good conditioner will repair the damage that dying or bleaching can do to the hair.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
crayola said:
mr_sparkle said:

I'm in the school of thought that dying hair is perfectly fine as long as you don't over do it. I don't understand what you meant by "(using a cap so as to hit bleach the skalp?)". The more permenant the dye you use the more harsh it is on your hair, so a semi permenant dye is less harsh than a permenant one. If you use permenant color don't redye more than once a month to avoid damage and use a good conditioner if you do dye your hair. I've never used bleach so I don't know the particulars on it, though it can be hard on hair if overdone. Again, using a good conditioner will repair the damage that dying or bleaching can do to the hair.

I kinda mean the cap used to pull hair through in order to get natural looking blonde highlights. Sounds girly I know but David Beckham has made it acceptable for men to do it :lol: (and the lighter your hair the better it conceals thinning). Also it seems better than simply covering your head in peroxide cos ur only dying the tops of your hair as the cap prevents the chemicals reaching your scalp.

Oh yeah i did mispel propecia! well ive seen so many different names being the same thing! finasteride/propecia, minoxidil/regaine/rogain it's confusing.

So what do you guys actually think of propecia? Will it f*** up a 19 year old's penis?

drinkrum

Reaction score
No it will not f*** up your 19-year old's penis. Now stop thinking about boys and go back to Neverland, Michael Jackson.

... No, it will not make your dick shrink. Take Propecia and let it do its thing for a year.

Some1

Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
My biggest fear as well is possibly affecting my future children - is there any proof that it could harm offspring, or is it proven to be harmless?

that's the exact same thing I need to know before taking these pills...

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride is dangerous i think, if it can have so many side effects than why risk it ??? :x

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Wezz: I hate to say it man but your being kind of a pussy when it comes to finasteride. This is probably the sixth post I've read of yours in the last week saying how dangerous finasteride is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if your only 17 and have already began to noticeably bald it's more then likely your going to need finasteride if you want to stand any chance of keeping your hair. Some food for thought.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
that's a bit harsh calling him a pussy, as I pretty much share the same attitude. for us newbies the info on propecia is so vague that we really don't know what it does. Sure if it helps my hair great but if it will affect my future offspring I dunno if it's worth it. And if I can't get aroused because of it there's little point really or if it gives me cancer - this is all vital stuff we need to know as we're basically messing about with our hormones. If it's safe then I'd happily use it.

Im sure everyone on this forum has appeared as a niave newbie when it comes to these treatments but it's cause we're all really cautious and I know if I knew the info I'd let eveyrone know the pros and cons. We're all in the same boat we gotta fight for each other!

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
It would be harsh if Wezz hadn't already posted that exact message six times before. I was tired of seeing him post that "finasteride is dangerous" when he knows really nothing about the drug and what affect it has. Obviously certain side-effects are inherent in drugs that cause a hormonal change but that doesn't neccessarily make them dangerous. I think your over-thinking the possible repercusions of taking finasteride. Do you really feel the fda would approve of a drug if it had such potent side-effects as damaging your offspring?

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno - maybe I dunno what it's like.

There could be a smallprint saying "could make your children mutants" or something!

I think it's a lot tougher for us younger ones cos we are going to go on these things for practically 75-80% of our lives if we start at around 20 years old so we need to know just what the side effects are.

But i guess if it's the same post over and over ur kinda justified. I wasn't meaning to start a fight or nething!

Cassin

Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
There could be a smallprint saying "could make your children mutants" or something!

There is not. Please don't post such inaccuracies and scare people who are uneducated about it, like you, and scare them away from such a well tolerated treatment.

I don't mean to sound so harsh, but such comments shouldn't be posted without someone quickly knocking them down and pointing out how wrong the post is.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
No it's a good thing that ur saying that and I'm grateful for it I dont think you're being harsh at all! Now I know it's a stupid thing to say and it's therefore not something I need to worry about if you know what I mean.

You're right I'm totally undereducated that's why I'm here to get as much information as to what I can do to save my head without f*****g up the rest of my body! I hear so many things about propecia that I dunno what to believe!

Cassin

Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
No it's a good thing that ur saying that and I'm grateful for it I dont think you're being harsh at all! Now I know it's a stupid thing to say and it's therefore not something I need to worry about if you know what I mean.

You're right I'm totally undereducated that's why I'm here to get as much information as to what I can do to save my head without f*****g up the rest of my body! I hear so many things about propecia that I dunno what to believe!

Totally fine, just spend a bit of time reading up on it. A mere 2 hours worth of non-discussion forum research will put you in the top3% of the planet on being educated about male pattern baldness treatments. Scary EH? That is why I jumped on your post so fast. :)

A post like yours, even though you didn't mean anything buy it will scare the sh*t out of countelss people viewing it.

http://www.propecia.com

Start there.

Good luck and happy reading! :)

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks it's good to see people responding to ignorant newbies questions at least! I will definately read up!

one quick question that does worry me though:

Spoke to my doctor who's reccomending me to a tricologist again (I originally saw one about a year and a half ago and was told I wasn't balding) and she said Propecia/Proscar is used to treat prostate enlargement.

Does this mean that by using the product my prostates will shrink? that's something that confuses me. Or is it only if you use the full dosage of proscar?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:

That's the problem, someone hears something, starts making frantic posts thereby allowing the inaccuracies to be further perpetuated.
It's good that your asking questions and trying to educate yourself about hairloss. Everyone's a newbie at one point.

I know for us younger guys ( I"m 18 ) it's a little more difficult decision on whether you should take propecia or not. In the end, after digesting all the facts it just becomes undeniable that it gives you the best possible chance.

Good to have you here.

Kramer

drinkrum

Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
thanks it's good to see people responding to ignorant newbies questions at least! I will definately read up!

one quick question that does worry me though:

Spoke to my doctor who's reccomending me to a tricologist again (I originally saw one about a year and a half ago and was told I wasn't balding) and she said Propecia/Proscar is used to treat prostate enlargement.

Does this mean that by using the product my prostates will shrink? that's something that confuses me. Or is it only if you use the full dosage of proscar?

Yes, your prostate will shrink.

The active ingredient in Propecia is finasteride, just as it is in Proscar. The difference is that Proscar contains 5mg of finasteride whereas Propecia contains 1mg. Proscar has been used for more than one or two decades in treating BPH (an enlargement ofo the prostate). It achieves this by reduces serum levels of DHT (by inhibiting the 5-AR II enzyme which converts testosterone into DHT). This same process also helps treat baldness (male pattern baldness).

Now, about birthing. In the beginning, Merck issued a warning with every bottle of Propecia that it could cause pregnancy complications if the fetus was male as finasteride can be found in semen. However, they quickly rescinded their warning after conducting a battery of tests and realized it would take an inordinate amount of semen to produce enough finasteride to actually affect anything. To this end, I know of every posters who have fathered normal boys while on finasteride. And if you're paranoid, you can get off finasteride for 2 weeks prior to trying to conceive.

Clear?

D.