A few questions about male pattern baldness

BulletFrost

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here for about 3 months. Truly, reading this forum has given me hope for the future, and I thank every single one of you for your contributions here.

I've been slowly receding for about a year. The hairloss is minimal under the measurements that this blog stated, so it's possible that my hairloss is just a mature hairline.

I'd like to know if taking finasteride at the age of 19 will stop the hairloss. Is it expensive, or can a doctor prescribe it to me If I'm covered?

If we are still far from an actual cure for male pattern baldness, why is it hard to make a pill that's taken daily to completely regrow the hair on your head? Surely if using 3 different drugs can produce complete regrowth, couldn't we simplify into one pill?

I have thick blonde hair that takes after the men on my moms side of the family, and they only get a mature hairline, wich they keep until there 50's. My dad however, is completely bald. His hair was black and wavy, and he kept it until he hit 30. Is it more likely I'll take after my moms side, rather than my dads just because our different hair? I'm almost a splitting image of my mothers brothers, so I thought I might have been safe growing up.

Thank you for any help you guys can give, and I apologize for all this text :)
Pictures can be uploaded if anyone would like to have a look, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions asked.

Edit: Here's a few picture of my hairline. As you can see, it's nothing major. This is why I'm considering waiting 1-2 years for finasteride/dutasteride.http://imgur.com/a/mrwSI

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, it's the best I can take for today, and it was really only meant to show the shape my hairline is taking.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything bout finasteride as i am a female.

But i take the female ver of an antiandrogen - Spironolactone. But only 25mg as it can encourage tumors and breast cancer. So can finasteride and dutasteride to my knowledge. I supplement with saw palmetto (also an internal anti androgen but get your liver enzymes tested every 3 mos as it inflames the liver of some over time), MSM (in pure form, and powder form, used for joints but a sulfur and it helps grown, reduce shedding), Nioxin vits (don't know whats in them but they work to grow hair).

I also wash with Nizoral 2% twice a week.

I'm about to add
vit d (will see if this reduces shed. For some it helps)
garlic oil pills (reduces shed for some)
Omega oil pills (reduces shed for some)

I plan to replace the spironolactone 25mg with Resveratrol and Curcumin both Jarrow. For some it is the natural combination that stops hair loss. If it doesn't do as well, I'll replace the saw palmetto with it. Either way i'd like to replace both spironolactone and saw palm.

Another medication for me is reduced/low carbs. If I eat alot of carbs, it overrides my medication and EXPLODES my hair loss. Can't believe it but it's effects are like a medicine.

I can't do Rogaine it dries my hair. So I'm trying Mitoconozole (yeast infection cream) yes, it helps grow hair. Maybe not as well as Rogaine, but it does something.
So the big 3 are anti androgen, topical nizoral 2% shampoo, Rogaine.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
BulletFrost said:
Hello everyone,

I've been slowly receding for about a year. The hairloss is minimal under the measurements that this blog stated, so it's possible that my hairloss is just a mature hairline.

Welcome to the boards, you're probably best erring on the side of caution given your tender years. In this case i think a photo upload would probably be wise, because of your next question.

I'd like to know if taking finasteride at the age of 19 will stop the hairloss. Is it expensive, or can a doctor prescribe it to me If I'm covered?

In the majority of cases finasteride will stop hairloss dead in it's tracks, but it's probably a weapon best pulled out when it's really needed. As for recommending it for a 19 year, hand on heart I couldn't because i don't know what effects less DHT has on puberty so such a decision should only be taken alongside a doctor/ derm.

If we are still far from an actual cure for male pattern baldness, why is it hard to make a pill that's taken daily to completely regrow the hair on your head? Surely if using 3 different drugs can produce complete regrowth, couldn't we simplify into one pill?

well we can't cure the common cold! If you were mental you could actual take all of the big three as pills, but erm ......

There's probably a reason why we don't, minoxidil can affect the heart, keto is hard on the liver (and not approved for hair loss)

I have thick blonde hair that takes after the men on my moms side of the family, and they only get a mature hairline, wich they keep until there 50's. My dad however, is completely bald. His hair was black and wavy, and he kept it until he hit 30. Is it more likely I'll take after my moms side, rather than my dads just because our different hair? I'm almost a splitting image of my mothers brothers, so I thought I might have been safe growing up.

It is more likely that you will take after your mothers side, but not impossible that you won't. I wish i could give a figure on the chances, i can't.

BulletFrost

Reaction score
Thanks for the great reply, Sir chuglalot. I'll gladly edit in some pictures after this post. :)

As for taking finasteride or dutasteride; if I was to wait 1-2 years and just let it recede a little more before taking one of those pills, would it regrow some of the hairline? or just preserve it?

TheInvincible

Reaction score
BulletFrost said:

I started at 19 and it stopped hair loss. it's not expensive very expensive if you take propecia, it's very very cheap if you go for proscar and cut it. the dermatologist will prescribe it.

BulletFrost

Reaction score
TheInvincible said:
BulletFrost said:

I started at 19 and it stopped hair loss. it's not expensive very expensive if you take propecia, it's very very cheap if you go for proscar and cut it. the dermatologist will prescribe it.

That's what I'm planning on doing. Did taking the proscar regrow some of the hairline for you?

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
well we can't cure the common cold! If you were mental you could actual take all of the big three as pills, but erm ......

There's probably a reason why we don't, minoxidil can affect the heart, keto is hard on the liver (and not approved for hair loss).

Is this true for TOPICAL keto?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
sir chugalot said:

There's probably a reason why we don't, minoxidil can affect the heart, keto is hard on the liver (and not approved for hair loss).

Is this true for TOPICAL keto?

No, the Keto shampoo has no affect on the liver. This is only in regards to the Keto tablets taken internally.

TheInvincible

Reaction score
BulletFrost said:
TheInvincible said:
BulletFrost said:

That's what I'm planning on doing. Did taking the proscar regrow some of the hairline for you?

I didn't need it because I caught it very early. I experienced a very minor regrowth but it's probably minoxidil.

THFC2011

Reaction score
Your hair looks fine BulletFrost, I don't seee any male pattern baldness there. At least wait to see does it get any worse before you start using finasteride.