A Drop Of Water

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Fighting hairloss is like a drop of water on a fire...

Imagine your entire house on fire- the whole thing, and the whole neighbourhood is watching- and imagine yourself dropping ONE drop of water on it.

That's what the fight on hairloss is.

EXCEPT- for Propecia.

If you get on Propecia while your house is still only at a small flame, like a small ligher-induced flame at the side of your house, then you can prevent the whole thing. Just stay on the medication, and the fire will not start.

If you ignore medication, then the fire starts. It gets pretty bad: smoke starts spewing everywhere, and damage starts. You lose lots of hair in your temples/crown. PERMANENTLY.

If you wait, THEN get on Propecia quickly, you're still okay- but what you have you lost before starting medication- you lost for good. Because you waited for a little bit, you lost out on a bit of your hair forever.

Because you waited those few minutes, the fire burned and wasted a lot of valuable area- but you can save what hasn't been affected- you won't be too bad- maybe a Norwood 2-3 or so (still sucks, because the average person will say you're balding)

If you had taken action right away, you would have lost nothing.

But because you waited, you lost a lot. And you can't get it back. You can only maintain what you have left.

Get it???

Facts. Look it up.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call minoxidil, spironolactone, revivogen, etc. a drop of water on a burning house. There are credible studies backing up these treatments.

Actually, I'm also not sure the analogy of a fire being put out since none of these treatments will help you maintain forever. Eventually, you do begin to lose your hair, usually after the two yr mark with most treatments. Let's say it's like making your hair "flame-resistant" rather than "fire-proof."

But hey, that could have seriously helped Michael Jackson in that Pepsi commerical.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Well written Rawb. I hope new male pattern baldness recipients read it.

viperfish

Reaction score
Yardbird has it EXACTLY right!!!!!! All of these treatments are going to help you hold on for a little longer........but we all will bald eventually unless something comes out that puts a COMPLETE stop to the process!

misterium

Reaction score
I'm sure the meds work longer than after the "2 year or so mark"
.. c'mon

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
yah but then its like putting wood shavings around your house to attract termites...so instead of burning your house you have the integrity of your penile ultrastructure in question:p

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
And then again, some of these toupes or hair systems are really a lot like getting your driver's license on the same day of your unfortunate house-burning experience.
You may have a car and be able to drive away somewhere else and may even be able to LIVE IN THAT CAR, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have a house....
metaphorically speaking, of course.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
IwantMyhair said:
I'm sure the meds work longer than after the "2 year or so mark"
.. c'mon

I didn't say meds will stop working after the two yr mark, I said you'd start to lose hair (as opposed to gaining hair, which usually does happen in the first two yrs).
Go to the research section of this site and check out the studies on any of the treatments you hear people talking about, particularly those studies that present the hair counts.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get on treatments, because you should. What I am saying is that there is no permanent cure for baldness.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Working on 20 years of treatments and still holding on quite well. Don't lose hope. Treatments and persistence work.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Unsure if I have grown any new hair on the program. The program has changed over the years. I still have hair to comb. Not a comb-over, I can comb it back, part it on the side or down the middle and I can still have a flat top done. I lost my temple hair very quickly at 17 - seemed like almost over night. The temples have continued to recede very slowly but steadily. And overall, thinning is continuing, but again, very slowly. I do not believe any topicals or pills could restore my temples.....EVER. I wasn't crazy about that as a kid, but now that I'm workin' on 40 I like the higher temples............they give me a distinguished look. In fact, I would not restore my temples even if I could. The best I think we can look for in a treatment is a little regrowth (sometimes a lot for some) and mainly the slowing down of male pattern baldness.