A Discussion About Nizoral

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
The opinions and information on these boards over Nizoral(keto shampoo) seem to vary greatly, as far as what it actually does for hairloss, how effective it is, and the appropriate amount to use it.

We have the studies(of which some are skeptical), showing both 1% and 2% to give some maintenance/thickening when used about 2-4 times a week. There is also the study showing 2% nizoral to be more effective than 2% Minoxidil for growth.

There seems to be dispute as to what nizoral’s intended role is in the hairloss battle. Is it just for inflammation? Or does it directly influence the follicles somehow? nizoral is considered to be the least important piece of the big 3, with many contending that it does nothing at all. Then there was just a member on these boards claiming to have gotten regrowth from using it every day. Most seem to use it more sparingly, i.e. a few times a week. Myself, I’ve been using it about 2-3x a week for the last few months.

I would like to get to the bottom of this nizoral business, especially as using it is easy and risk free. How can we best maximize the benefits it provides? Is there an advantage to using it every day? Every other day? Or is a few times a week sufficient for its purposes?

Reaction score
Ketoconazole interferes with the synthesis of androgens (i.e. testosterone - and therefore estrogens, too).
That causes the seb. glands to shrink.
Now, an inverse relation has been found between the size of the seb. glands and hair diameter.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I like keto. I use 2% and feel it has benefited me. It cleans the scalp and let's other treatments, like minoxidil, exert their full effect

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well that escalated quickly

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Using it every day is dangerous. When my hair loss first started I got a script from a dermatologist, and grew everything back with Nizoral alone. I stopped using it, and then everything got much worse.

So when you grew your hair back, that was from using nizoral every day?

If you use it every day, indefinitely, it will not give any added benefit.

What about the benefit you stated above, of growing your hair back?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
That was from using it 3 times a week. After six months it all grew back. I quit using it for 1 to 2 years before it started falling out again. I wasn't as quick to jump on treatment that time, but when I did I used Nizoral every day, and it did not work like before. I haven't used Nizral in about two years now. I'm currently using minoxidil and finasteride with positive results. I ordered some generic nizoral off Ebay, and I'm going to add that 2 to 3 times a week.

So you regrew all your hair, stopped your regimen, and didn't lose the hair you regrew for 1 to 2 years? You sure that first round of hairloss was from Androgenetic Alopecia? I've never heard of anyone maintaining regrowth while being off treatments

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest with you, it was from p**rn addiction. I quit, and didn't start losing my hair again until I relapsed 1 to 2 years after growing my hair back.

This p**rn-induced hairloss, what was the nature of it? I.e., did you advance any points on the norwood scale in the male pattern baldness pattern?

BackSoThickHoesWantTheTip

Established Member
Reaction score
The opinions and information on these boards over Nizoral(keto shampoo) seem to vary greatly, as far as what it actually does for hairloss, how effective it is, and the appropriate amount to use it.

We have the studies(of which some are skeptical), showing both 1% and 2% to give some maintenance/thickening when used about 2-4 times a week. There is also the study showing 2% nizoral to be more effective than 2% Minoxidil for growth.

There seems to be dispute as to what nizoral’s intended role is in the hairloss battle. Is it just for inflammation? Or does it directly influence the follicles somehow? nizoral is considered to be the least important piece of the big 3, with many contending that it does nothing at all. Then there was just a member on these boards claiming to have gotten regrowth from using it every day. Most seem to use it more sparingly, i.e. a few times a week. Myself, I’ve been using it about 2-3x a week for the last few months.

I would like to get to the bottom of this nizoral business, especially as using it is easy and risk free. How can we best maximize the benefits it provides? Is there an advantage to using it every day? Every other day? Or is a few times a week sufficient for its purposes?

LOL at anyone who thinks nizoral helps for hairloss

Oliver510

Established Member
Reaction score
This website claims in its men's hair loss guide and review of propecia that a shampoo with ketoconazole like Nizoral must be used with any hair loss treatment and no other treatment will work without it. I know the study where ketoconazole 2% increased hair shaft diameter, but their is nothing I can find to back the claim that it is necessary for any treatment.

For one, the propecia FDA trials used a tar-based shampoo and two, not for the purpose of ensuring efficacy of propecia. The clinical studies information for the drug listed on rxlist states:

"In order to prevent seborrheic dermatitis which might confound the assessment of hair growth in these studies, all men, whether treated with finasteride or placebo, were instructed to use a specified, medicated, tar-based shampoo (Neutrogena T/Gel® Shampoo) during the first 2 years of the studies."

Meaning in order to precisely measure hair count, shaft diameter, etc, they prevented a separate condition which may only prevent those assessments from being taken as well as they need to be in a scientific study. This does not mean seborrheic dermatitis will effect hair growth or the efficacy of propecia. As of course, there are men with this condition or other scalp conditons who don't bald, and men who do bald without scalp conditions. And they didn't even use ketoconazole in the study so I don't know why it's stated on this site that they did, let alone why it's necessary. Wouldn't Merck, medical literature, and doctors state if it's necessary to use a shampoo and/or treat scalp conditions completely if it was in fact necessary or even beneficial while using propecia?

I'm all for keeping a healthy scalp and attacking from all angles, but I can't see the necessity and how not using certain shampoos and preventing common scalp conditions would prevent the efficacy of a treatment like propecia. Is there anyone here with dandruff or more who has had results from Propecia?

BackSoThickHoesWantTheTip

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, f*** the clinical studies.

Did you come here with any evidence or logical arguments? Or are you just dropping by for laughs?
clinical studies? the clinical studies are bullshit, they're just trying to get your money, the earlier you see this the better. most of this sh*t is based around money and money ONLY.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, f*** the clinical studies.

Did you come here with any evidence or logical arguments? Or are you just dropping by for laughs?

I've come to accept that a whole lot of studies are made up. We have studies proving everything. You know what else is better than minoxidil?
- Rosemary oil;
- Pumpkin seed oil;
- Cistanche tabulosa and laminaria japonica;
- Rice bran extract;
And so on.

Lots of studies are made up. So given that, I use nizoral 3x/week and tea tree oil conditioner from Paul Mitchell 3/x week with very low expectations.

I would be curious if 5% ketoconazole shampoo would yield better results.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This website claims in its men's hair loss guide and review of propecia that a shampoo with ketoconazole like Nizoral must be used with any hair loss treatment and no other treatment will work without it.
Well you got half of it right at least. The other half does not state that "no treatment will work without Nizoral Shampoo". What it says is that an anti-inflammatory shampoo *like* Nizoral is necessary to see optimal results on Propecia. We then go on to promote Regenepure as it contains Keto.

I strongly believe that any treatment which resolves Seb Derm is going to play a role in *increasing* hair count, or more accurately, like we stated in the Hair Loss Guides, it will play an integral role in making the scalp environment "optimal for other treatments to work".

And they didn't even use ketoconazole in the study so I don't know why it's stated on this site that they did
The site did not state that they used Keto in the study. It says: "trial participants to use an anti-inflammatory shampoo like Nizoral". Not keto. Not even Nizoral. Anti-inflammatory shampoo.

Is there anyone here with dandruff or more who has had results from Propecia?
I saw zero results on propecia until I started nizoral around the 11 month mark. I was about to throw in the towel completely, until someone told me I should be using Nizoral or something like it. My scalp was an irritated, itching mess. It was out of control inflamed and all I did for the first 11 months was shed like crazy.

I believe that anything with antiandrogenic properties is going to benefit hair loss. Keto has antiandrogenic effects. And anti-inflammatory effects. I know for a fact I lose more hair when my scalp is inflamed and itchy. Whether or not I see any flakes. I remember Brian Shelton stating that inflammation is often the result of the androgenic activities going on in the scalp. Possibly even the immune system reaction occurring locally, which is the process by which the body rejects the follicle. It's anyones guess. But when that is all under control, so also becomes my hair loss.

Oliver510

Established Member
Reaction score
Well you got half of it right at least. The other half does not state that "no treatment will work without Nizoral Shampoo". What it says is that an anti-inflammatory shampoo *like* Nizoral is necessary to see optimal results on Propecia. We then go on to promote Regenepure as it contains Keto.

I strongly believe that any treatment which resolves Seb Derm is going to play a role in *increasing* hair count, or more accurately, like we stated in the Hair Loss Guides, it will play an integral role in making the scalp environment "optimal for other treatments to work".

The site did not state that they used Keto in the study. It says: "trial participants to use an anti-inflammatory shampoo like Nizoral". Not keto. Not even Nizoral. Anti-inflammatory shampoo.

I saw zero results on propecia until I started nizoral around the 11 month mark. I was about to throw in the towel completely, until someone told me I should be using Nizoral or something like it. My scalp was an irritated, itching mess. It was out of control inflamed and all I did for the first 11 months was shed like crazy.

I believe that anything with antiandrogenic properties is going to benefit hair loss. Keto has antiandrogenic effects. And anti-inflammatory effects. I know for a fact I lose more hair when my scalp is inflamed and itchy. Whether or not I see any flakes. I remember Brian Shelton stating that inflammation is often the result of the androgenic activities going on in the scalp. Possibly even the immune system reaction occurring locally, which is the process by which the body rejects the follicle. It's anyones guess. But when that is all under control, so also becomes my hair loss.

Fair enough. I have a scaly, flaky scalp and I've been using Nizoral and plan to continue but I think Neutrogena's T/GEL shampoo with coal-tar would be best because coal-tar breaks down and loosens dead skin/flakes, and also prevents the excessive shedding of skin. T/SAL's salicylic acid also breaks down flakes. I'm not sure if I have full blown seborrheic dermatitis, and nothing more than just plain old dandruff. So yea.